Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-19-2010, 06:38 PM   #1  

Default I just want VICTORY

Hi. I'm new to this forum and feeling quite overwhelmed at the moment. Short history...I've suffered from an ED for the past 21 years...gone anywhere from 95 pounds to 145 pounds along the way. I have been diagnosed with anxiety issues related to Body Dysmorphia. When speaking to my mom recently, she said, "I just want you to beat this. Your name means, "victorious" and I want you to finally win over this disease." So do I. Current status: I'm bingeing ridiculously one day and then severely restricting (punishing myself) the next day. I am about 135 right now; 5'6; 41 years old. I "feel" better physically and mentally at around 120 which is in my healthy weight range. To get to this weight, all of the online calculators are telling me to eat roughly 1300 calories/day. If I'm not bingeing, I eat VERY healthy. My question is this: If I do start sticking to 1300 calories/day aren't I going to GAIN weight? I'm averaging anywhere from 600-1000 now (unless I binge). Nothing is happening with my body except I'm getting bigger and my anxiety is getting worse. Please someone tell me an opinion. I just need someone to help me through this. I really am ready to go to a nutritionist if I have to...I'm just scared to eat most days for fear of continuos weight gain. It affects my every waking moment. I just can't take it anymore. Thank you to anyone who reads this and can answer.
peepers69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 09:01 PM   #2  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hello! And welcome!

Given your stats (weight, height) I would say, go ahead and try 1300 calories. Maybe ease slowly upward, rather than trying to go from 1000 to 1300 in one jump. Make sure they are nutritious calories.

One good way to do this is to simply increase the portion size. For example, lean chicken breast--eat 4 ounces instead of 3 ounces, if that's what you've been having. Or 3/4 cup of whole-grain brown rice instead of 1/2 cup. And likewise with other nutritious foods.

Your weight may go up a bit at first, but please don't let that scare you. From what other members have said on 3FC, people actually feel less like bingeing when they are eating more every day, so that may be your answer. You'll need to be patient and not panic as your body gets used to a bit more food.

I would recommend that if you want to talk to a professional, you look for a registered dietitian who is well versed in ED. This person can help you to come up with a plan that will make sure you get proper nutrition without either over- or under-eating.

Good luck!

Jay

Last edited by JayEll; 12-19-2010 at 09:01 PM.
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote