Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-25-2010, 01:50 PM   #1  
Healthy is Beautiful

S/C/G: 214/144/160

Height: 5"8

Default I Need Help...Been a While

I've been a member of 3FC for almost a year now. I had been a very avid, active member...and then my posts became less and less frequent...and then I officially became a 3FC Ghost. I doubt anyone noticed...but during my little hiatus, I've REALLY gotten off track.

The weekends are endless buffets and binges. I spend my work week trying desperately to get my weight loss footing again, but never really feel confident that I'm making progress or secure with my choices. I always feel like I'm one skittle away from a binge. 2 or 3 nights of the week, I do in fact binge. It's usually from one moment to the next...I'll be watching TV or cleaning or whatever, and the next thing I know, I'm digging desperately into a jar of mayonnaise with one slice of turkey after another, shoving the candy that was supposed to be for trick or treaters into my mouth with urgency, eating peanut butter out of the jar.

I've definitely gotten off track before on my journey. It took me a while to lose 60 pounds because I've just never really be able (or inclined?) to stay on track for weeks and months at a time. The binge monster has never gone away. But this time...I'm just really having a hard time getting back on track. I haven't been able to go a full week making good choices, staying within a calorie limit, exercising daily and drinking water.

I'm terrified I am going to gain it back. I want to lose another 10-20 pounds. I can't really say for sure if I HAVE gained any back yet because I just keep bouncing around...up 1 pound, down 3, back up 2, so on and so forth. I'm discouraged. I already feel like today is "lost" because I ate about a million hersheys kisses. I don't know how to find that motivation that I had at the beginning of this journey again. I know that none of you can DO this for me...but I would sure appreciate some advise or encouragement from anyone who has fallen off and managed to GET BACK UP and stay there. How do you stop the cycle?
ThicknPretty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 02:04 PM   #2  
Hi there!

S/C/G: Ticker

Height: 5' 5"

Maybe first figure out why you're eating more of things you don't want to eat. Is it emotional, compulsive, or because you're hungry? Maybe just adjust your calorie intake?

Another thing I've heard of that seems to help with junk food cravings is a free for all day like once a month. You stay on plan until that day, and then you can eat any kind of food for the day. One day a month won't kill your plan. And people say it helps to know there's a junk food day coming up so they can tell themselves "I don't need it now - I'll eat it on my free for all day."

Good luck!
LiannaKole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 02:23 PM   #3  
OMW to a brand new me!

S/C/G: 312/seeticker/135

Height: 5'1"

Breathe!

Figure out what is going on and what feelings you are eating. Personally I love to eat my feelings, and they are SO fattening!

Then, maybe take it a step at a time. Perhaps the "problem" is that you are doing too much at one time. Pick one thing and master that.

For instance. I decided seven weeks ago to change my life. Well, if I look at my WHOLE life, that is daunting as ****! So I knew that a big part of what was making me unhappy was my weight. So, I started there. Break it down further. My eating habits were horrible. Start from there. Then, six weeks later I was ready to add a new change. Working out. Start from there. 30 days straight exercise, get that under control. Move on to the next thing.

Break it down as small as you need to, to get through it. One craving, one feeling, one minute at a time if you have to. Everyday is not ONE decision, its a million little ones.
lazylioness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 02:47 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 227/159/148

Height: 5'9"

I vaguely remember reading that study - from the 1960's or 1970's - the experiment that put some men on very low calorie diets.... they started becoming obsessed with food, then, found themselves bingeing. And they were formerly in the military I believe, with no food problems prior to the study.

You have lost a lot of weight - maybe your body is in a 'crazy' biological mode that we can't understand? If so, I think Lianna's advice to simply allow for more calories (like 1800 or 1900), would be the best way to approach the problem.

Then, you would be maintaining until these crazy urges went away and your body found its equilibrium again.
bonnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 02:51 PM   #5  
patience and perseverance

S/C/G: 198/ticker/125

Height: 5'3"

Obviously there is something happening right now triggering this. If I were you, I would find someone to talk to, a nutritionist, a nurse, a therapist.... whoever you feel will help you the most.
We don't engage in self destructive behavior without a reason, and it sounds like you don't know it's happening until your hand is in the jar and half the food is gone.

Keep us posted!
JayLei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 06:30 PM   #6  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I think you've just got back into some old habits. I think you've lost your focus.

And I am certain that you're not setting yourself up for success by having Halloween candy in the house. Halloween is a week away. You can buy it the day of, instead of leaving it lying around the house. Make a vow, a pledge, a promise, a commitment, a something - to not touch any more candy (or any other off plan foods) Period. It's no longer an option for you to even think about it. Nope. It's over with. Make it black and white. No gray. Stop giving yourself permission to veer off track.

Do you plan out your foods in advance, knowing where each and every bite, lick, morsel, crumb and sip is coming from?

Do you write down everything BEFORE it goes in your mouth? No exceptions. NO EXCEPTIONS.

These are tools to get you back on track. I urge you to use them. And please don't dread it. Th

Do you have wonderful, tasty, delicious, yet healthy, foods to eat? Are they filling and satiating, loaded with fiber and protein; to keep you satisfied and to keep the cravings for the other stuff to a minimum?

HAve you rethought why you began this journey in the first place?

As far as managing to get oneself up - you've just got to suck it up and do it. There is no way around it. But please, set yourself up for success, having the right foods on hand, the wrong ones gone. Journal your foods, plan out your meals in advance. Make yourself some rules. Push yourself. Work past the discomfort of changing your habits once again. Re-learn how to tell yourself no. Give yourself the gift of a few perfectly on plan days - no matter what, no matter what, NO MATTER WHAT! No exceptions. You'll be back in the groove before you know it. You'll be relieved and wonder why you didn't do it earlier.

Remember, bad eating begets more bad eating (where you are now). Good eating begets more good eating (where you need to get to).
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 06:55 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 267.8/211/150

Height: 5'2"

I wish I knew what to say to help. I think that rockinrobin's advice is good. I know for me, once I have binges, I have to detox for a (tough) couple of days to get rid of those insane cravings.

Hugs. This ain't easy. BUT, you've come so far. You CAN make it through this.

Last edited by Bac0s; 10-25-2010 at 06:55 PM.
Bac0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 07:01 PM   #8  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

I've wondered about you, I knew you were MIA. I don't have any advice because I've been going through some of the same stuff...but I just took Robins advice and got the frickin candy out of the house and into my husbands car (so he can take it to work). The candy has NO place in my home. My kids don't need it here either. They get more than enough at school of all places.

Hang in there. We can get back into control...as long as we don't give the control back to food.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 07:06 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 129/108/108

Height: 5' 3 1/2"

I'm another who thinks it isn't necessarily an emotional issue. For me, for example, I know that eating copious amounts of food has never been an emotional issue. I just like food, and when I start eating too many of the wrong things too often I can absolutely fall off the wagon and get lost in weight fluctuation for months. The only way I recover is by telling myself that I am drawing a line in the sand and then sticking steadfastly to a plan. I've learned that I have to be vigilant all the time. I can have a small treat or off-plan meal from time to time, for example, but I can't do it too often and I absolutely avoid entire off-plan days. These are not a part of my life anymore. So, when I find myself wanting to launch into a bag of Halloween candy or eat more than just the one chocolate truffle, I remind myself that only unhappiness lies that way. Happiness lies in sticking to a plan that lets me be the healthy, fit me I want to be for life.

With regard to treats, I can have them in the house. I have found this past year that I have the ability to eat just one. If this is not possible for you, by all means get rid of the candy. Now. That is exactly what I would do if I found myself unable to control my sugar cravings. And I have done it in the past.

Maybe overeating is an emotional issue for you. But at the moment that just does not matter. What matters is that you take control immediately. Throw out the junk food, draw up a plan, and stick to it. After you've done that you can take a good look inside yourself and see if there is something more leading you to binge than a taste for sugar alone. But introspection and revelation can take time. Drawing a line in the sand can happen right away.

Last edited by Petite Powerhouse; 10-25-2010 at 07:11 PM.
Petite Powerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 08:15 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 205/172/125

Height: 5'1

Just want to say, you are not alone. I, myself, have major issues with candy. I swear, it's like a drug to me. My weight has been climbing upward lately, and candy is a big reason why. I can't just eat a little bit, because it leaves me craving more and more.

Hang in there! Get yourself back on track. You'll be so glad you did!
kellost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 08:42 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 216/180.6/160

Height: 5'8"

You are so not alone. Actually, I could have written your post.

I love what Robin said. I hate that I have to go through the discomfort of changing my habits again...but, fully giving in to this setback is not an option.
Cali Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 09:22 PM   #12  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Doll View Post
I hate that I have to go through the discomfort of changing my habits again.
But luckily, it will be easier this time. The bad habits are not as deeply ingrained as they were when you first had to do this and the good habits are right there under the surface, not buried all that deep.

I'm coming off of a pretty rough weekend myself. I should probably go to sleep right this second as to ensure that day one back on track is in the bag.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 09:31 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 216/180.6/160

Height: 5'8"

Thanks for the support, Robin. Here's to a successful day one back on track! :-)
Cali Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 12:22 AM   #14  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

Hey! We've missed you! I don't have any stellar advice as I too have been struggling with the binge monster. I haven't gained, but I'm not losing either.

Basically I'm on track all week and then the weekends are my downfall. I haven't pin pointed the emotion, honestly I think it's most of them, but what feels different this week is that I changed up my food plan a little found dome new recipies and am excited about my meals again. I'm trying to view food as simply nourishment and fuel for my body. I am a foodie and I love food, but that seems to get me in trouble so I'm trying to view it as fuel, but making sure I'm excited about my meals. I know I'm not making a lot of sense, but I believe you can do this and getting that stuff out of the house is the first step. It helps me to not have that stuff and if I only allow those indulgences to happen when I'm not in the house it makes them less frequent and less compulsive.

I hope you can find some relief in this, I know how painful it is to feel like you are losing control, like you're failing, but I promise you are not. I really wish I had the answers for you, because that would mean that I would have them for myself as well. We just have to know that this journey is forever and binging may just be one of those thing that will always be there nagging at us, but as long as we always catch ourselves we're not going to put the weight back on overnight. Hugs!
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 04:44 AM   #15  

Hey,

I couldnt help but to read your post and feel like i was reading a letter to myself about my seemingly self destructive eating habits, but just like i tell myself im going to say to you, its all about your self motivation and self confidence to stick with your dieting and ensure that your goals are met. There is no such thing as not being able to commit, just tell yourself everday that this is what you want to do and and just go for it. As i do i would advise you to take everyday one at a time and just reasure yourself everyday that this is what you want to do and before you know it telling yourself that you can do it will be your favorite daily habit. Yes it can be difficult but it is also very possible. I have all the confidence in the world that you will get back on track just keep pushing forward.

Sincerely, Paula
biggiefries is offline   Reply With Quote