Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-16-2010, 05:59 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 174→168.0→135

Height: 4'9''

Default Foods you used to love; now not interested in them at all?

I love food, there's no denying that. But ever since August-ish I've cut out certain foods and I don't miss them... at all. I stopped eating ramen, cereal, pop tarts, cake, ice cream, peanut butter, cookies, brownies. I really don't miss them. I do still eat skittles and junior mints, and haribo gummy bears, but that's about it, and that's pretty rare. I also gave up seafood for a while, and now I can't stand the smell of it. Seafood is healthy, though, I don't remember why I gave it up.

. I turned down a bag of skittles today and McDonalds for dinner, though, without evenimmedietly realising it. That sort of makes me...proud.

My tastes have definitely changed since August. A lot of people tell me I'm restricting too much, and "missing out" but I look at it this way... I had 21 years of that junk, do I really NEED it right now? Do I REALLY need that piece of cake? No, of course I don't. Do I want it? Maybe I'm in the mood for it, but I can go without it. That's just my mentality now, and I like it. Though I will say this: I LOVE cheese and bread lol!

Last edited by yhahmd; 10-16-2010 at 06:02 PM.
yhahmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 06:11 PM   #2  

S/C/G: CW: 155 GW: 130

Height: 5'2"

McDonald's is a big one. Especially after I saw the pictures of the non-decomposing happy meal. O_O Scary stuff.

Some others:

*Hot dogs
*Milk chocolate
*Pizza Rolls (occasionally I crave them, but I know if I eat them I'll regret it )
*Pizza
*Sausage
*Fried food (except french fries, I have those occasionally 'cause their one of my fav foods)
*Most sweets

Lately I've been realizing just how much my body has acclimated to eating mostly whole and unprocessed foods. Any time I eat something overly processed, sugary or very salty I get bloated and sick feeling. I can FEEL my body having issues with processing it. Today I had a brownie with a little ice cream and a 6 ounce steak (within my plan) and I feel like there's a brick in my belly.
Pint Sized Terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 07:07 PM   #3  

Location: On Planet Earth...I'm waiting for the Oxygen levels to go up on the other planet's before I move

S/C/G: 250/125/120

Height: 5'3"

I love your mentality about how you had junk food for the past twenty-one years and now you question if you really need it. I had the same thing happen to me where my mentaility changed and I thought 'Do I really need it?'

And people when they here my restricted calories they think that is impossible and that I am 'missing out.' But I totally agree with you it is just food and I think there will always be something...I'm not really missing out by not eating that cake or whatever it is.

I know I'm being long winded here but I use to love popcorn and would eat a whole family bag by myself. I just stopped eating it oneday and it's weird because I can not stand the smell of microwave popcorn now. I think I've conditioned myselves to dislike certian foods and that is why I think it smells bad .

WinterJinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 07:08 PM   #4  
~Kim~

I stopped eating red meat. Don't miss that. I don't really miss fast food. Every now and then I get a craving for french fries though. Don't miss chips or soda.

I don't think I'll ever get over chocolate. I just have to learn to control how much I eat because it will probably never leave my life for good. I do know I haven't had any in the last two days.. don't know how long that will last.
TooManyDimples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 07:20 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

I don't get cravings for fast food either. I used to eat a slice of cake every day because it was just so delicious. Now? I can look at it and not have those MUST-HAVE-CAKE-NOW cravings.

I also had cravings food soda, french fries, candy bars, pizza and so on. I've just simply gone more "clean" so to speak and I don't feel those same cravings.

I chalk it up to stabilizing my blood sugar levels... also I've surprised myself in how I can cook food and have it be low calorie but also pretty good and it doesn't feel like I'm missing out on other food.

In fact, most recently, I had junk food because I didn't have another option at the time (or I couldn't think of anything) and I was ill after eating it. I got a terrible headache that didn't go away for hours and I never get headaches. I just think my body can't handle that much crap food at once. Even though it was within my calorie range, the quality of the food was terrible.
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 07:21 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 276/270/160

Height: 5'4

I really do not miss chocolate or any sweets. I've cut them out totally and allowed myself a weekly treat of low fat peanut butter frozen yogurt from a local yogurt shop.

I've always had a sweet tooth but in recent years I stopped being so big into candy bars and chocolate even before starting my journey. I mean, if I felt like a candy bar or chocolate, or if someone offered it to me I would definitely have it but I didn't eat it all the time or anything. Even still, I've found it surprising that I haven't missed or had cravings for many sweets at all.

What I do miss is more savory items like pizza, creamy pasta, chinese food, breadsticks, buffalo chicken, cheese fries, etc. Ugh, just typing them out is making me want some.
onherweighdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 07:25 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 145/126/115

Height: 5'1"

I have been able to give up a ton of things without too much of a problem but it has been impossible to give up any combination of bread and cheese -- to include pizza! I'd rather have a plain old crusty bagette over chocolate cake any day
DexterMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 07:28 PM   #8  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

Oh gosh, everything.

I am horrified by how I used to eat! It really gets my goat when people pull out the "you're restricting too much" bs. Because eating nothing but junk is healthier? errr... no.
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 08:09 PM   #9  
I CAN do this!

S/C/G: 230/179/160

Height: 5'4.5

alfredo sauce. obviously the real version tastes better, but i had been using the lower fat kind in a jar for years. recently, i realized, it just tastes so plain. it needs some basil or something. i wasn't enjoying it at all. i was wondering if it was a recipe change. i tried a different kind. still not that great. now i think it's just me.

i love my basil, and some spices to kick it up a notch. even more than before.
katy trail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 08:24 PM   #10  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

I still struggle with a lot of things, but I have managed to kick salty cravings in lieu of sweet ones. But where I used to buy a candy bar and eat the whole thing, I can now negotiate myself down to a small square or two sold individually at 40 yen and 50 calories each. Small victories!

I'm still terrible at limiting sauces though. The former heavy smoker in me still thinks I can't taste anything without dumping a ton of extra sauce on it!
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 09:56 PM   #11  

S/C/G: HW:200+/LW:120/CW:142

Height: 5'1 and a 1/2" (yes the 1/2" matters!)

My first reaction to this was "No, OF COURSE I still want to eat all the crap I used to eat." But this is both true and not true.

Most days my cravings are non-existent, which is a big step for me. Other days, my cravings are there but under control (I didn't plan for it, I'm not going to eat it).

Tonight I was eating with a friend at Chick-fila, which I love. I planned for, and had, the Southwest Salad. She ordered a sandwich and told me I was welcome to have some of her waffle fries . . . yum, Chick-fila waffle fries.

I was tempted for about 1.2 seconds. Waffle fries were not on my plan for today, and even though I could have fit ONE in, calorie-wise, I didn't want to. When I realized that, it felt like a pretty big deal for me.

But, I think part of my will always, at least occasionally, want foods that are fattening/unhealthy/otherwise bad choices. But that's why I'm a calorie counter - if I really want it, I can have it.
JenMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 10:16 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 189/150/138

Height: 5'8.5"

YES! it seems as if my taste buds have changed also. Cravings are much less strong and dont happen near as often as before.
I can say no to everything from brownies to fast food, however i still struggle with bread.
between chibatta and french its next to impossible for me to say no to these items.
but hey, i figure a little bread beats refined sugars and deep fried foods anyday :-p
but when it comes to most anything else, im set.
moosemaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 10:36 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 254/181/165

Height: 5'7.5"

Foods I now find unappealing
-pizza hut pizza
-pork sausages
-fast food (with the acception of taco bell i still crave that for some reason)
-subway subs
-most cakes
-most juices
-most candies
-white bread
-white rice
-sweetned tea beverages (use to love arizona ice tea)
-sweetned coffee
-most variations of food that aren't home made

Terrible foods I still have cravings for
-thin crust pepperoni pizza
-biscuits and gravy
-pie
-home made hamburgers
-mexican food
-italian food especially home made alfredo
-salted nuts
-cookies especially white chocolate macademon nut cookies
-chinese food
-cheese (oh god i love cheese)
-french and chibatta bread

Last edited by niafabo; 10-16-2010 at 10:37 PM.
niafabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 11:04 PM   #14  
one choice at a time

S/C/G: 275/155/189/???

Height: 5'5"

I think it's great that some folks find their tastes changing as they adjust to eating healthier.

This is something that has never happened to me.

I rarely ate fast food or pizza when I was getting fatter, so I don't particularly miss those things now. I have no doubt that I would enjoy a good pizza today as much as I ever did, though. I did from time to time eat candy and desserts when I was getting fatter, and while I don't experience cravings for those things now, I've never really struggled with cravings anyhow. And when I do taste candy and dessert now, they don't taste too sweet or cloying or unappetizing - they're still yummy.

What made me fat was not so much eating unhealthy food, it was eating without mindfulness and without limitation. Since I've been losing weight (this time around) I'm still eating very much the same kinds of foods I ate before. The difference now is that I plan and make a conscious decision about everything I eat or drink. So there is no food that has lost its appeal to me. I've just gotten better and more disciplined about pausing before stuffing food in my face, and thinking about whether a particular food fits into my plan on a particular day, or whether eating a second helping of it is really the best choice for me to make.

Last edited by carter; 10-16-2010 at 11:04 PM.
carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 11:24 PM   #15  

S/C/G: CW: 155 GW: 130

Height: 5'2"

I really thought it was weird that my tastes had changed so much. I thought it was all in my head and I was imagining it!

I find food at restaurants very salty now. I had a steak tonight at a steak house that I hadn't eaten at in months, and I used to really enjoy them, but it was saltier than I remember. Still good, but just a tad too salty.

Also, part of how I prepped myself to eat better, was to actually sit and TASTE my food while I ate it. Not zone out and just put it in my mouth and chew, but actually let it sit on my tongue and taste it. Stuff like McDonald's lost it's appeal VERY quickly. Oreos too. They taste have a weird aftertaste, and the cream filling tastes like powdered sugar-filled crisco. I can't believe I used to binge on that stuff. It's not even good.
Pint Sized Terror is offline   Reply With Quote