Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-05-2010, 12:04 AM   #16  

Location: On Planet Earth...I'm waiting for the Oxygen levels to go up on the other planet's before I move

S/C/G: 250/125/120

Height: 5'3"

When I first started I mainly ate smaller portioned meals, a lot of fruit, and avoided snacking. For me snacking was the enemy because I did it frequently through out the day and by the end of the month it added up into pounds. I've lost around 100 pds doing it this way.

And let me just say even though I did not start with the calorie counting I did eventually fall into doing it. Calorie counting really is not terrible and after a while you just know the calories of the food you eat on a regular basis.

Last edited by WinterJinx; 10-05-2010 at 12:05 AM.
WinterJinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 01:36 PM   #17  
Lindsay

S/C/G: 220/210/150

Height: 5'7

I don't calorie count. Like I don't sit down with a pencil and paper and write every single thing that I eat. Now Im not saying that there is anything wrong with that, as that works with a lot of people, Im just saying that's not for me.
Every time I try to go that route i end up stopping and it just doesn't work.

what I do do is I just mentally keep track of everything I am eating. Like know eating bad food A will not be good for me or my body, but yet i don't limit myself if I do want a treat.
it's really the only way i know how to do this and still stay on track.
Mickeypnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 01:54 PM   #18  
Intuituve Eater

S/C/G: 378/378/320

Height: 5'7

Low carb intuitive eating here.

I'm on my own modified induction right now
-I try and stick to the phases on list of foods for Atkins/South Beach (I"m not a big fruit person, and I'm not all that attached to pasta, bread and rice))
-Eat when I'm hungry and stop when I'm satisfied.

I'm not a calorie counter, but I read labels and recipes for calorie and carb count. At one point, before I settled on IE i was eating a muffin every morning with milk, I assumed the muffin couldn't be more than 200-300 calories ( i mean it was a muffin for goodness sake) I found out is more was more like 400-600 or more. I switched to English muffins.

I try to cook as many of my meals as possible, usually cook everything Sunday and freeze.

When i do eat fast food, no sides, and I stick to the kids menu. Usually its just me wanting the taste of something.

The few processed things I do eat are usually condiments. I also have a box of 100 cal snacks for those moments when I'm hungry, nothing is in the fridge and I just need to take the edge off. I think I've had the same box for about a month now.

I do eat two pieces of toast twice a week.

I tried calorie counting and I couldn't stick to it, I somehow always felt restricted and I would obsess over how many calories were in something I couldn't get an exact count on. I also felt like I had committed some kinda of crime if I went over. For me, with intuitive eating I like having a choice and the flexibility. I also now ask WHY do I want to eat whatever it is, which has been kinda interesting.

I lost 50lbs doing this before, gained it back after a broken engagement and now back on the wagon.

Last edited by Obsidianbbw; 10-05-2010 at 02:02 PM.
Obsidianbbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 10:02 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 200/?/155 High:254

Height: 5'5"

I vaguely estimate my calories for the day but I pay more attention to WHAT I eat rather than HOW MUCH I eat. I tend to lose on a high protein, moderately low carb plan. I make sure most (if not all) of my grains/carbs are whole and non-processed. Except for an occasional treat/dessert I've pretty much cut sugar out of my diet. I do not count protein, fat or carb grams. I've lost almost 20 lbs. in around 3 months.
Bombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 02:34 AM   #20  

S/C/G: 210/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Rules work well for me. For some people creating rules just makes them want to break them... but being the little Virgo that I am, I enjoy having rules and following them.

For my weight loss which has been gradual and maintainable w/ in a couple lbs up or down I have come up with some rules and substitutions.

Instead of candy bars I eat Luna Bars (relatively healthy granola bars) and I only do so once or twice a week.

No fast food or junk food. (Meaning burgers, fries, chips, candy etc.)

I eat Amy's no cheese pizza if I must have it and eat one square of dark chocolate if I must have chocolate.

I like to use pita's or tortillas as a bread source... and top my taco's/burritos with chopped cilantro, green onion vs. sour creme and guacamole. (Though I will indulge in the occasional avocado.

NO arbitrary snacking - food planning is key for me.

NO eating right before bed.

Eating most (80% to 100%) of carbs/grains at breakfast and lunch.

Drinking A WHOLE LOT OF WATER! I drink as much water as I can. With the occasional tea.

I read the back of everything and look for foods with high fiber, low sodium, low calories (so i can eat more ).

As a personal/ethical choice I don't eat factory farmed meat which also greatly limits my food options and subsequently forces me to make healthier choices.

If any of this helps you out I'm glad. It's not easy but it's been totally worth it for me!
SeattleLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 01:13 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 263/198/190

Height: 5' 6"

I've lost 43 lbs since Aug 30,2010. Here's the plan.

1. Eat hungry to satisfied. ALL THE TIME

2. Use a small plate (7") or 1-2 cup bowl.

3. Intuitive eating- portions usually end up 1- 2 cups total.

Because I follow principle 1 most of the time, there is little room for unhealthy choices. I did WW for years & for the 1st 2 months this time. It gave me a clear sense of portions, calories, nutrients etc.

I'm probably 1200- 1500 calories per day. Most importantly I'm experiencing peace with food, myself & getting healthier every day.

I faced a major wake up call this summer with the premature death of my brother plus I turned 65. If not now then when !

This change has also been a major spiritual issue. Prayer & God's daily empowerment has made the difference
linda45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 02:28 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

I do Weight Watchers. I find it easy and it works for me.

One thing you might do as you figure out what plan will work is read through the different forums to see the trends with the different plans. Are people constantly "falling off" the plan and then starting over with a vengeance? or are they coasting along sustainably? Able to fit the way of eating into their life with minimal adjustments or feeling left out of events (or "going off plan") in order to stay on their plan?
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 03:06 PM   #23  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

I prefer exchange plans. I also like to switch things up and try something new every few months just to learn more and stay interested. So far, everything I've done has been an exchange plan or similar. The first was an exchange plan of my own invention that I did based on mypyramid.gov. Second, was the DASH diet, dashdiet.org. Third was the diet in The Complete Beck Diet for Life book. Now, I'm using Richard Simmons' FoodMover.
gardenerjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 04:32 PM   #24  
Here for the party

S/C/G: 187/108

Height: 5'5.5

My plan:

-I sort of mentally guesstimate calories. I do most of my own cooking, and concentrate on whole foods over processed stuff (in other words, it's very rare that I'll prepare something that you heat up or that came out of a box.)

-I do a lot of stir frys with yummy, well-seasoned veggies and lean meats. It helps that I'm married and want to care for my husband, so I'm motivated to focus on healthy, tasty meals.

-Movement is key. Exercise at least 3, optimally 4-6 times a week, for 30 minutes at the absolute minimum, and on top of that, as much movement as I can (walking to the store or to the post office instead of driving, parking at the far end of the parking lot, taking the stairs whenever I can, doing crunches during commercial breaks during my shows, etc.)

-Coming to 3FC and being encouraged by the successes of others and seeing what works for them!

I've lost almost 70 pounds this way since May 21, 2010 (not bad for 8 months' work!)

Last edited by fivestone; 01-30-2011 at 04:33 PM.
fivestone is offline   Reply With Quote