Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-27-2010, 09:27 AM   #1  
Delectable Inside + Out

S/C/G: 163.3/132.8/100

Height: 5'00

Default Those Thunder Thighs!

There. I said it.

How in the world do you slim down those thunder thighs? I am doing a mixture of cardio, strength training and yoga daily, and have been for about 3 weeks now. I'm already losing quite a bit of weight and much more quickly than I had anticipated. But there's a couple problem areas I want to zap. I know you can't "spot lose", as I've read throughout the forum but what exercises specifically help with certain areas? I can feel muscle tone developing under my skin and the fatty tissue but how do I get rid of that stuff? I've been doing floor workouts and maybe I just haven't given myself enough time to really see a difference. I understand all this is a gradual process and takes time. More time than most of us would like!
Pudgebrownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 09:35 AM   #2  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

The thighs are tough. I think you either have them or you don't. I didn't have thin thighs when I weighed 113 back in high school!! (Or at least I didn't think I did. It's hard to say for real.) I've never had space between them.

I'm working on it. I do lots of squats. Running up and down stairs is terrific. Spin cycle class is awesome.

I think you definitely have to give it time. I figure if I lose enough weight, then eventually the thighs will improve!
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 09:39 AM   #3  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

unfortunately you just have to wait for your body fat to go down more. You can lift heavy, doing squats and deadlifts and lunges etc, to help build muscle in the area, but as long as there is fat over the muscles, it wont make much (visual) difference. If you tend to store your fat in your lower half, than it will prob be the last place you lose.
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 09:44 AM   #4  
one choice at a time

S/C/G: 275/155/189/???

Height: 5'5"

Yep, you really can't spot reduce, unfortunately - you can't control where the fat is stored or where it comes off from. The best thing you can do is just keep working on losing fat, and don't be so hard on your natural shape by talking about it in terms like "thunder thighs".

Weight-bearing exercises like squats and deadlifts and lunges that work the thighs and glutes are really, really good for you. Not just for "toning" that area but for functional strength and for preserving vital muscle mass that keeps your metabolism high and your body strong. So while they won't spot-reduce the fat in those areas, these exercises are very beneficial to your overall fat-loss and fitness!
carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 09:48 AM   #5  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

The only way I know to get rid of fat, (anywhere on your body) is to lose weight until it's gone. It will eventually go, it will have no choice.

I know someone who has a VERY large butt when they are overweight. They have even had liposuction on the problem areas in the past, but every time she gains weight, her butt gets HUGE. Out of proportion huge. When she loses weight it goes away...BUT it's always the first to come and the last to go.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 04:11 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 200+/151/125

Height: 5'7"

my thighs and arms seem to be the worst. they don't get "thin" looking until a low weight. It seems weight training has been making them worse lately, so I just have been focusing on lighter weights and really doing a lot of cardio and trying to watch my cals.
bellona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 04:53 PM   #7  
xty
bright hearted

S/C/G: 240/127/125

Height: 5'6

well as everyone knows you cant spot reduce!

but i will give you some hope

i have always had huuuuuge legs. big thighs and gigantic calves.

after losing 100lbs i finalllly saw some serious shrinking and toning and cellulite firming/reduction when i got below about 150 and majorly under 140. you really do just have to work on the body fat%.

i got an advance body fat% measurement and it showed my legs were many% higher...but the fat has nowhere to run, it will go down.

also, as you spend more time in maint at a steady weight body fat often redistributes.
xty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 10:54 PM   #8  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

I can understand, while I don't have the thigh problem, I have "man" arms. I have incredible upper body strength! It's not feminine, but it's mine. I love my big biceps and the definition in my lower arms as well. Take your thighs, love them, own them and make them "INCREDIBLE"
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 03:55 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 227/159/148

Height: 5'9"

Lori Bell - I felt like you were talking about me! It is funny, my butt is the first to get huge and the last to go! My boobs will shrink to being non-existent before I lose an inch of my booty.
bonnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 11:37 PM   #10  
Delectable Inside + Out

S/C/G: 163.3/132.8/100

Height: 5'00

^
Ugh.. I got tiny boobs as well. They are always the first to disappear when I'm slender. They're so voluptuous now, I'm pretty sure hubby is gonna miss them when they're gone. But I'd rather have them shrink and lose my fatty tissue everywhere than have 'em and be chubby.

Thanks guys. I figured as much. I'm working out at the gym every night and I think I found a machine that helps target my thighs.
Pudgebrownie is offline   Reply With Quote