Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-11-2010, 09:33 AM   #1  

Height: 5'7"

Default Weigh in question

I weighed myself on this past Sunday when I decided it was time for me to stop wanting to lose weight and actually do it. I've heard many times that you shouldn't weigh yourself once a day because things can just fluctuate too much in that short of a time and it could just discourage you. So I planned on just having Sunday be my weigh in day each week, but now I'm finding myself getting more and more curious if I've lost any weight this week. What do you all usually do as a weigh in routine? Do you weigh each morning? Once a week? Once a week with a peek here and there? Just curious
kathrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 09:48 AM   #2  
Joie de Vivre!!

S/C/G: 230/ticker/130

I used to weigh once a week, but part of that was because the scale I used wasn't in my own house and I was too lazy to get to it in the mornings any more often than that. Now I weigh myself every morning just because I like to have an idea of the fluctuations. In fact sometimes I weigh myself at night too, just out of simple curiosity. But you really have to take every up and down with a grain of salt, because SO many things affect weight. I mean just the humidity in the air can affect it. I say there really is no "right" way to weigh in, whatever you feel most comfortable doing is what you should do. But only if you know the ups and downs won't drive you batty.
TheBunneh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 09:53 AM   #3  

I don't think it would drive me batty. I'm just one of *those* people. The kind that likes to know what presents I'm being given before I get them, who reads the last chapter of the book first. I'm a little impatient I'm going to stick it out this week, since Sunday is only tomorrow now. We shall see!
kathrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 10:06 AM   #4  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathrynk View Post
I weighed myself on this past Sunday when I decided it was time for me to stop wanting to lose weight and actually do it. I've heard many times that you shouldn't weigh yourself once a day because things can just fluctuate too much in that short of a time and it could just discourage you. So I planned on just having Sunday be my weigh in day each week, but now I'm finding myself getting more and more curious if I've lost any weight this week. What do you all usually do as a weigh in routine? Do you weigh each morning? Once a week? Once a week with a peek here and there? Just curious
I think weighing every day is a wonderful tool.

For me, it's accountability.I know I'm stepping on that scale and facing the numbers, makes it much more likely to stick with my good eating habits.

You've just got to learn to not let those fluctuations discourage you.

If you are truly on plan, than there's nothing to fear or be discouraged about.

If you're the curious type, than why the heck not?

There really is no one *correct* way to do this. It's all up to you.

But, I would urge you to focus on the behaviors, not necessarily the numbers on the scale. Certainly use those numbers to asses how your plan is going, but focusing on the behaviors - getting the good eating habits down pat, getting your plan nailed down, learning coping skills for all situations, learning how to tell yourself no, staying on plan consistently - that's what's majorly important. And of course by doing that - the scale will have no choice but to head on down.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 11:15 AM   #5  
Just keep swimming...

S/C/G: 215/ticker/140

Height: 5'8"

I switched from weighing once a week to weighing every day, and it has definitely taken somewhat of an emotional adjustment. But overall I like it; it definitely has a positive effect on my focus.

Last edited by My Michelle; 09-11-2010 at 11:21 AM.
My Michelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 11:27 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 346/see ticker/120

Height: 5'2

I weigh myself twice a week. Wednesday and Sunday mornings. I used to do it once a week, but doing it midweek keeps me motivated no matter what the scale says.

I just stopped weighing everyday, because it was motivating some days, but discouraging on others.. Plus, it's not as exciting as the loss you build over a week rather than a day.
alyssarof2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 11:30 AM   #7  
Maintaining (Lacto-Paleo)

S/C/G: 120s

Height: 5' 6.75"

Every morning, and I write the number in my calendar and track it at fatsecret. Although there are fluctuations, I enjoy seeing that line headed towards the goal.

All the best to you.
SilverLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 11:46 AM   #8  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

I weigh once a day: breakfast - bathroom - scales.

Some days it's annoying that it's a hold or a slight increase yet again; but, because I haven't cheated once in 110 days, I know I haven't done anything 'wrong', so I know they can't be fat increases, just temporary water. This is really, really helping me begin to understand the process of weightloss and to begin to lose some of the over-emotionality of it all.
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 12:07 PM   #9  
Happy Member

I weigh daily, it helps keep me focused on what I need to do to 'maintain' my weight loss.

I never let the minor changes in my weight mess with my mind. The scale is a tool, nothing more than that.

I also track my progress at FatSecret. It's been interesting to see how I have done over the years.
JoJoJo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 12:09 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 208/ticker/143 - HW: 240

Height: 5'8''

Different things work for different people. I like weighing daily because then I see those fluctuations so they don't freak me out if my "official" weigh in day is a higher number than I think it should be, but I only record my weight once per week. If you're the sort who's going to get impatient if the scale doesn't go down every day, you may want to stick to once per week, but otherwise weighing daily can show you a lot about your weight loss and it can help you nip things in the bud sooner if you're slipping.

Last edited by Laureedee; 09-11-2010 at 12:11 PM.
Laureedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 12:13 PM   #11  

S/C/G: HW:300 Pregnancy: 160/167/185

Height: 5'5"

I weight every day. One, it keeps me accountable: avoiding the scale once a week is easier than avoiding it once a day, and then all the sudden you haven't weighed yourself in 2 months and have put on 10 lbs. More than that, however, I find weighing myself once a week to be the most discouraging. For one thing, your water weight can be up just that one day--so you really lost two pounds that week, but the day you weigh it shows half a pound. That sounds terrible. More importantly, however, is my own tendency to build up totally unrealistic expectations--if I weight once a week, that gives me a whole week to convince myself I've lost tons of weight, probably 3-4 lbs, this is amazing, wow--and then be crushed if I get on the scale and I've lost "only" 2 lbs. I need a daily reality check to keep my own imagination in line.

As far as daily fluctuations, I am used to those and so they don't discourage me.
Shmead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 01:08 PM   #12  
Knowing I'm worth it!

S/C/G: 250/see ticker/150

I weigh every morning and record the number and any special circumstances (eating out or TOM) that affect my weight. I "officially" weigh on Tuesday nights at my TOPS meeting.
Teresa66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 01:40 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

I weigh once a month and take a progress picture in the same bikini once per month. No sense in upsetting myself over TOM, salt, and other daily fluctuations.
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 01:43 PM   #14  
it IS all about me!!!

S/C/G: 295/see ticker/165ish

Height: 5'8"

I weigh daily, right after I get up and go to the bathroom. I'm new to this and am learning how my body works; daily weigh-ins are helping me to spot my trends and patterns. I've learned that the day after Zumba my weight goes up a bit, then tends to drop even lower. It's kind of nifty to watch.
RobinD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 02:57 PM   #15  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacha View Post
I weigh once a month and take a progress picture in the same bikini once per month. No sense in upsetting myself over TOM, salt, and other daily fluctuations.
That's just the thing - for those of us who weigh daily - we don't get upset by TOM, salt and other daily fluctuations, for the most part anyway . All the while using the daily weighing as a tool to keep the accountability going and remain focused.

I DO like the idea of that monthly bikini pic. Very interesting concept. Hmmm...
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote