Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-31-2010, 10:49 AM   #1  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

Default Been sick...but I think I'm proud of myself...

I've been sick since last Monday. Really bad cough, sore throat, feels like some kind of chest infection. To top that off I had a 24 hr stomach bug Saturday. Last week I didn't feel too bad so I didn't really adjust my workouts. But Friday things started feeing worse. I usually weight train or run everyday, but Friday, Saturday and Sunday I just couldn't. I didn't feel too bad about it because we were out of town and doing a lot of walking. Yesterday I thought I was feeling well enough to get back into it. I had big plans on how to make up for missed workouts and training sessions. But after about 25 mins of running on the treadmill I realized I wasn't feeling as well as I thought and I stopped. I'm proud of myself because as much as I want to lose the rest of this weight and want to complete my training for my half marathon to the letter I know that pushing myself too hard when I'm sick is only going to do more harm than good. I was starting to wonder if I knew when to give myself a break. Part of me wants to feel guilty for missing my long run Sunday and not getting all my miles in yesterday but I know that that's ridiculous.

I guess my point is to point out that part of this "lifestyle" change includes knowing when to take breaks. I know it seems obvious, but when exercise becomes such a big part of your life it can be hard to know when it's ok to take a break. Anyway, maybe this is a pointless post, but I just wanted to say, remember to be kind to yourself durning this process. Remember that whether you missed a workout or ate to much or even binged, it's not going to undo all your hard work and to just take the time you need to recover from the illness, PMS, or other emotional trigger and then get back on the horse and stay the course. Persistance and consistency is the key to success.
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 02:48 PM   #2  
Just keep swimming...

S/C/G: 215/ticker/140

Height: 5'8"

You're so right that consistency is key. And knowing that sometimes your body *needs* to rest, not run, and that it is smart and healthy to give it the time to heal instead of adhering to some inflexible schedule!

Always get back on the horse!
My Michelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 03:05 PM   #3  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

There's a lot of talk here about listening to one's body, and that your body will tell you when it's sick or it really needs to rest.

Me & my body haven't been on speaking terms for quite some time, so it's very hard now to renew a dialogue.

When I was fat, and wasn't doing anything about it, I fed my body when it wasn't hungry, and overfed it when it was; I kept feeding it past the point when it had enough; and when it really insisted that it had enough, I ignored it. In fact, I ignored myself from the neck down. I didn't really feel accountable to my body. I was angry at it, and hated it for being misshapen. I didn't feel able to change it. So we were pretty much estranged.

During the weight loss process, I also had to ignore my body a lot. When it was hungry, I told it the hunger would go away, if it just waited a little, till the next feeding time, which was soon. I told my body that it couldn't have some things it craved & had gotten used to having. I made it get up & move, when it felt comfortable & really didn't want to do anything. When it claimed it was tired, I told it that moving would re-energize it. When we were exercising, and my body felt discomfort, I told it to keep pushing through, to keep working. So we were in a dialogue then, but I was still bossing it around.

So it's no wonder that now, when it seems to be telling me it's tired or sick, I'm suspicious. Is it just being lazy? Is it starting to slack off?

That's what I struggle with. The channels of communication still aren't really clear.

Which is why I know exactly what you mean, about figuring out when it's okay & when it's not okay to take it easy & rest. I'm still not very good about that.

Last edited by saef; 08-31-2010 at 03:06 PM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 03:28 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 242.5/193.4/170

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by saef View Post
There's a lot of talk here about listening to one's body, and that your body will tell you when it's sick or it really needs to rest.

Me & my body haven't been on speaking terms for quite some time, so it's very hard now to renew a dialogue.

When I was fat, and wasn't doing anything about it, I fed my body when it wasn't hungry, and overfed it when it was; I kept feeding it past the point when it had enough; and when it really insisted that it had enough, I ignored it. In fact, I ignored myself from the neck down. I didn't really feel accountable to my body. I was angry at it, and hated it for being misshapen. I didn't feel able to change it. So we were pretty much estranged.

During the weight loss process, I also had to ignore my body a lot. When it was hungry, I told it the hunger would go away, if it just waited a little, till the next feeding time, which was soon. I told my body that it couldn't have some things it craved & had gotten used to having. I made it get up & move, when it felt comfortable & really didn't want to do anything. When it claimed it was tired, I told it that moving would re-energize it. When we were exercising, and my body felt discomfort, I told it to keep pushing through, to keep working. So we were in a dialogue then, but I was still bossing it around.

So it's no wonder that now, when it seems to be telling me it's tired or sick, I'm suspicious. Is it just being lazy? Is it starting to slack off?

That's what I struggle with. The channels of communication still aren't really clear.

Which is why I know exactly what you mean, about figuring out when it's okay & when it's not okay to take it easy & rest. I'm still not very good about that.

Saef, I always love reading your posts. You seem to be in my mind a lot of the time.

NC, good for you for knowing what your limits are! I hope to get there myself one day.
goodforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 03:43 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 255/144 and maintaining

Height: 5'9

I totally know where you're coming from. I think it's really great that you're able to, as Saef says, "communicate with your body" and realize that, sometimes, our bodies really DO need rest. They aren't lazy or faking sick lol. Can you tell I'm still giggling about Saef's post? Anyway, feel better!
jkinboston89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 04:48 PM   #6  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

You made an intelligent decision. And that's what this whole lifestyle change is all about. Making smart choices, every day.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote