Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-07-2010, 05:57 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 296/ticker/180

Height: 5'6"

Default Restaurant Workers

I'm waiting tables again, and have thus far made it two shifts without snagging a few fries or some shake or drinking any soda or ordering food at the end of my shift just because it's there.

Are there any tricks or anything that my fellow Servers/Cooks, etc use to keep on track while at work?
ShelBl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 12:21 AM   #2  
Spartan Kitty

S/C/G: 270/*ticker*/160?

Height: 5'4"

When I worked in fast food I would chew gum or pop a breath mint in my mouth to keep from snacking on the goodies when I felt tempted. I don't know how well that would work being a server and having to interact with the customers tho (I was on the drive thru).
Latchkey Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 01:12 PM   #3  

I waited tables for 20 years, and the only thing that I found that worked was to just avoid it all completely! If I tried to find healthy versions of the food to eat at work, I would inevitably end up snacking on the bad stuff too. I would always eat just before work, and take a book to read on my break. I'd grab a diet pepsi and read my book while I was on break.
mthrgoos68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 01:58 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 250/168/150

Height: 5'7"

I lost weight while working for Pizza Hut in college. The only thing I would make myself is a dough with no oil in the pan, sauce, vegetables on top, run through the oven with added sliced raw tomato on top to hold it all together.

I love cheese and I used to visualize it as something gross (snot) to keep from wanting it on anything. So I guess creative visualization and having an approved, easy thing I could eat is what helped.
JessLess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 02:00 PM   #5  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

I've never worked in the food industry, but it seems to me always making usre you have a full belly would be important. I'd make sure I was snacking on healthy things brought from home every two hours or so I was never hungry.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 03:25 PM   #6  

S/C/G: HW:300 Pregnancy: 160/167/185

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliana View Post
I've never worked in the food industry, but it seems to me always making usre you have a full belly would be important. I'd make sure I was snacking on healthy things brought from home every two hours or so I was never hungry.
Depends on where she is, but IME it's not uncommon for servers to go 4-6 hours literally without any kind of break--like, running to the bathroom can get you written up. I think coming up with things that can be eaten quickly, almost like medicine, would be important. I am usually not a fan of energy bars and the like, but it might make sense in this case.
Shmead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 04:03 PM   #7  
Knowing I'm worth it!

S/C/G: 250/see ticker/150

Height: 5'7"

I work at Starbucks where I can drink all I want for free and eat any of the marked off pastries or sandwiches that I want. Not to mention we usually have platters full of fresh pastries on the counter as samples for the customers. This has proven to be a VERY difficult obstacle for me and the only way to handle it is to be 100% dilgent in staying away from the stuff.

Since re-committing myself to weight-loss and a having a healthy life, I have gone back to my tried and true calorie counting. Pastries don't EVER fit into my plan. One to two lattes made with sugar free syrups and non-fat milk do work as long as I count the calories. I get one to two breaks depending on my shift and what I do is bring Kashi bars with me to eat. They are high in fiber and protein and really satisfy me until I can get home and have a real meal. I also make sure I eat before going to work so that I'm not hungry.
Teresa66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 05:28 PM   #8  
Spartan Kitty

S/C/G: 270/*ticker*/160?

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliana View Post
Shmead is right... When I worked at Dunkin Donuts I worked the morning and I got in at 4am and didn't get a break at all until around 10am when the morning rush died down. It can be impossible to eat something healthy like an apple or a yogurt when you don't get a break! :-) I think the idea of a protein bar or something else easy to throw down (but still nutrient packed) is a good idea!
Latchkey Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 10:09 AM   #9  

Height: 5'3"

I worked as a server for years. I would always request the section furthest from the kitchen (for exercise) and would pack snacks. Also, the *only* food I would eat from the restaurant was when the executive chef would make us try the specials or a shift meal (lunch or dinner during a split shift or double).

Sometimes I could even con the sous chef into sauteeing some plain veggies for me if it wasn't busy. But, you have to be waaaay nice to the chefs (major ***-kissing) to get them to do you favors.

No snacking.

Last edited by rachinma; 08-09-2010 at 10:11 AM. Reason: typo
rachinma is offline   Reply With Quote