Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-10-2010, 10:23 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 158/153/130

Height: 5'4"

Default oh no... the weekend is coming

The weekend is coming, the weekend is coming.... Oh No

Weekends are one of my biggest struggles to weight loss. Weekends are when my normal routine is disrupted. Weekends are when I'm home with the hubby and teen boy who have no weight/food issues.

Weekends are when I tell myself I'm going to workout a little bit longer because I have the free time - but then lay on the couch until noon because its the only time I can sleep in and relax.

Weekends are the times where all week long I'll see the scale nudge its way down, only to have it all return (plus some) on Monday morning.

So... I need to psych myself up for how to deal with this weekend. Week one (again) for me has been great so far. Eating and exercise have been good, and the scale is doing the famous first week woosh. But I need to be able to get thru Friday night - Sunday night and stay on track with food and exercise while maintaining a good family time weekend.

Knowing weekends lead to failure for me stresses me out.
chnkymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 10:49 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Time to make a new routine for the weekend. I have always treated them as any other day. I plan my meals, I buy the stuff I need, then I only eat the stuff on plan.

In my experience, weight loss is nearly all food related, exercise is just bonus. So, if you feel lazy and want to lay on the couch all weekend, why not? Just make sure your eating is completely in check.

I usually hit the grocery store on Friday afternoon after work and buy everything I need for the weekend (I tend to do 2 grocery runs a week due to the desire for fresh produce). Post your plan in one of the many accountability threads of what you're going to eat, then update the thread every day when you are successful.

It is so easy to derail an entire week's work in a weekend. But, YOU are in control of everything you put in your mouth. If you want to break this weekend habit, do it.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 11:53 AM   #3  

My weekend food struggles relate to the family. Sticking to a plan that works for me but also allows for Hubby and son to eat without me cooking multiple meals. The three staples (breakfast, lunch, dinner) are usually good. It is the tempatations the rest of the day. Watching TV with the boys and the break out the chips or junk food. I don't live alone. I live with my husband and son, both of whom have no worries about weight or food and they enjoy their junk as well as their healthy stuff. So I can't just throw out the junk.

I struggle with will power on the weekends.

Its also the running around or busy life we lead. I don't necessarily have my three homemade squares. If we are running errands then we tend to eat on the go. It is not unusual for us to eat out most of the weekend because we aren't home.

Because we lead very busy lives, I tend to do the bulk of my cooking on the weekends so we have leftovers during the week to have for dinners for the boys, while I'll have something light like a yogurt or salad. Usually that isn't the issue.

My struggles are will power against the temptations for snacking when the boys are snacking, or the temptation for wrong choices when eating out.
Old 06-10-2010, 12:12 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

I eat out a lot on the weekends too, I ask my husband to support me by picking restaurants where I can make a healthy choice. I do a lot of "special orders" (double veggies, no butter, ask for a to go box right away) and I stay on plan. I also pack healthy snacks in my purse, so I can nibble on the go without being tempted by baked goods at Starbucks.

As far as junk food, I have put all that stuff on a "do not eat" list. For me, it's easier to just say "no, I don't eat that". My husband sometimes has food in the house that I don't want to eat (M&Ms or Doritos or whatever), I just don't eat those kinds of food anymore. It's mentally restful not to have to struggle to try to fit stuff in, balance my calories or feel guilty after, I just don't eat those foods. I have my own healthy snacks that I eat.

Of course, dieting and weight loss is hard. If it were easy, there would be fewer people that want to lose weight. It can be done, but you have to make the changes in your life to make it happen.

I also like to bribe myself shamelessly for staying on plan I had a fabulous 90 minute massage last weekend as a treat for good behavior!

Last edited by Glory87; 06-10-2010 at 12:14 PM.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 12:16 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 129/108/108

Height: 5' 3 1/2"

It gets easier. When you are struggling against the temptations, try to remember that it will get easier—and quickly, too. Once you stop eating the junk, you stop craving the junk. For me, it usually takes about one solid week on plan to stop being pulled toward the wrong foods. The desire to eat right grows and grows over time, but honestly, after that first week the change in me is already drastic. I have read the same thing posted by others here. So, really: try to tell yourself to tough it out this first weekend. If you make that, you'll have been on plan for a week, yes? I can virtually guarantee you that you will feel much more in control come Monday, and next weekend will be much easier for you, not only because your body will be growing used to eating right, but also because you won't have regained the weight you lost during the week. That right there is pretty motivational.

Eat plenty of lean protein, fiber, and good fats to stay full, and thus more in control. And tough it out! Your body will reward you for it.

As for exercise, I just never give myself a choice. Saturday morning I go to the gym, no ifs, ands, or buts. This is something that doesn't necessarily get easier: I love working out, but even after 20 years I sometimes have to drag myself to the gym on Saturday. But, still—I go. I do not give myself the option not to. I don't sit on the couch and watch TV, I don't crawl back under the covers, I don't read a book in bed. When the alarm goes off, I get up and go to the gym—period. If I need to take a nap later to recover from a hard week at work, I will. If I decide to veg for an hour later, I will. But the key is "later." I exercise first, thereby never letting lethargy and second thoughts set in.

Last edited by Petite Powerhouse; 06-10-2010 at 12:26 PM.
Petite Powerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 12:18 PM   #6  
Wandervogel

S/C/G: 241/214.5/150

Height: 5'4

I also have difficulty on the weekends - mainly Saturday night! and weigh-day is Sunday morning, so every week I tell myself I won't binge before weigh-in...

Lately, though, I've been doing this: since I feel lonely and kinda purposeless on Saturday nights, instead of ice cream I drizzle a little maple syrup over a banana with a couple of tablespoons of light whipped cream. Then I watch something engaging in bed so I'm so cozy by the time I crave more junk, I don't wanna move!

Best of luck to you... one choice at a time
Raichu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 12:55 PM   #7  

Thanks to everyone for all the support. THis is what I need. The more I can mentally prepare myself to face the challenge of the weekend, the better it will be.

No doubt, it will be a struggle no matter what. I'm not sure of our plans yet, other than 1. I have to have my son up to SAT's on Sat am, bright and early. I'm hoping I can convince hubby to come with me and we bring the bikes and go for a ride while son is in the testing center. 2. we are remodelling our pool deck, so I'm sure hubby will want to be there doing the work. 3. we live on the coast in fl - so there will be boating/diving involved at some point.

@Petite Powerhouse: I want to be you!

@Raichu: I like the banana idea. I have been having a yoplait yogurt for dessert when I have a craving. I will freeze them, then eat like icecream. I love their new flavors, as it makes you feel like you are eating something more decadent.
Old 06-10-2010, 01:10 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 345/ticker/170

Height: 5'8

Weekends are my more difficult time too, but for me, it's just getting the right mental attitude, treating it like any other days, and having a plan.

We are very busy on the w/ends too, but if you are determined, you can do it. There are always ways around things, and choices

Everyone has great advice. Use what you can to make it work for you.

Good luck!
ruby2sday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 02:46 PM   #9  
CouponDiva Extroardinaire

I'm not sure. I'm one of those weirdo's who have equal difficulty/ease each day of the week, not saying its easy but that I struggle or cope equally 7 days a week/ The only time I notice myself more likely to derail is right before and during TOM>
However it seems many, many chickies have the weekend dilemma. I would just treat weekend meals exactly as you would weekday meals. Automate it!
Natalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 02:55 PM   #10  
One day at a time :)

S/C/G: 157/134/122

Height: 5'3"

Also, because I tend to have snack attacks on Sundays, I've been told that if I feel it coming on, eat at maintenance level for the day, then get right back On Plan the next day to lose. That way, I can still be going down and not go one forward two back.
ElanaRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 03:02 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 339.8/319.2/160

I set a new goal each weekend. This weekend my goal is to walk for 45 minutes on Saturday or Sunday. I also try to follow my food routine as closely as possible.
Mille247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 03:09 PM   #12  
Caroline

S/C/G: 173/ticker/123

Height: 5' 5"

I have developed on ritual on weekends. I get up, put on my running clothes, and drink my coffee. Then I read the exercise forum of 3FC. Everybody's inspiring talk about exercise motivates me to get out the door and run.
motivated chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 03:14 PM   #13  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Planning. Planning and more planning.

Plan out each and every morsel that will go into your mouth.

Write it out and stick to it like GLUE. Like GLUE. If it's not on that sheet of paper - don't eat it. No matter what. Make a vow, a pledge, a commitment, a promise - a something. Really focus on this goal of staying perfectly on plan through the weekend. You CAN do this. And you should! You've got the ability to do it. Push yourself and push yourself. You DO have the power to do this.

You will see that when you do it one time, the next time won't be as hard.

Perhaps plan some special on plan foods for the weekend. A fruit/yogurt homemade smoothie. Fruit kebabs. Pizza using whole wheat pita bread halves as the crust, with some low fat shredded cheese, a little marinara and lots of veggies. Make a fabulous dinner - a rich, thick veggie soup, chicken marsala with wine, onions, garlic, lemon juice and mushrooms with a huge amount of roasted, caramelized veggies.

What a shame to work so hard all week, just to blow it on the weekends. MAke that your job, your mission this weekend - to stay on plan.

I look forward to hearing of your success!
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 03:49 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 194/160/145

Height: 5'10

Last weekend I didn't go to the gym on Saturday but this weekend I am going to make sure that I go and burn off the extra calories!!! I do have a friend visiting but I'm still going to go in the morning and make sure I get my workout in.

I usually struggle with my eating at the weekend to especially if I am with friends D: I really hope I don't put back on the 2lbs I lost!
Alita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 06:30 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 271/202/??

Height: 4'10"

I used to struggle when I have days off. (normally work every weekend) So when I do have off, I make plans to get out of the house. If I am not there, I won't go off track. I usually end up going to the library for a few hours and then running errands. That usually gets me past the temptation of "bored" eating.
kendra is offline   Reply With Quote