Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-12-2010, 05:14 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 225/175/140

Height: 5'6

Default TOM and regularity with weight loss? Depo?

Kinda.. TMI.

BUT I'm curious if anyone else has had this problem where they have their TOM but its NEVER regular anymore after starting to lose weight. I had it last month for about 3 weeks! it wasnt enough to even really notice, but enough to be a PAIN.

I have been wondering if its because of the Depo shot i was on for 3 years. I've been off of it now for about 3 but thats sorta what happened when iw as on it.. my TMI got really irregular.

Anyone else having this problem or had?

I guess i just needed to vent and see if there is others who are goi ng through it
luciddepths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 06:33 PM   #2  
I am worth it

S/C/G: 250/ticker/140 (maybe 130)

Height: 5' 3" and a half ;)

The depo shot really messed me up! I ended up going to the ER because I bled heavily for a month and became severely anemic. They had to give me pills to slow things down. I lost a lot of hair too. I have honestly never been right since and it has been 6 years! I am finding TOM slightly lighter than my usual 8 day flood (TMI LOL) now that I am losing weight but there is more spotting than usual throughout the month. I think weight loss does interfere with estrogen levels.
sweetnlow28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 07:35 PM   #3  
Don't turn back.

S/C/G: 262/(ticker)/153

Height: 5'6"

I don't have any answers but I'm definitely interested in this thread--I'm on depo now and i'm starting to notice things that I really don't like. I never have a period (the one thing I love, aside from not having to remember the pill every day), but I've noticed a decline in my ...libido? (tmi, but it's a tmi thread haha) and I've gained about 20 pounds; I'm now over 200 which I never have been before, and I can't seem to snap out of it.
Did any of you have these problems while on depo? I'm moving soon and probably going to make a decision about whether I should get off it.
munchievictim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 09:50 PM   #4  

Yes... i had that problem ALOT. Also depression, i already have mild forms of it but wow.. when i got on the depo i would cry at the drop of a hat. Seriously if you are on it now? get off of it. Its dangerous.

The sooner you can get off the better, it took me 3 years. I gained about 50 lbs. Its taken me along time to get back on the road to recovery.. WEIRD hair growth in WEIRD places.. my brothers wife was on depo for 3 years as well and is having the same issue i am now.

Also for Sweet, she had hair loss and strange things happen to her too. The more tests that are being done with people that have stayed on the drug are showing it isnt good

Last edited by luciddepths; 06-12-2010 at 09:54 PM.
Old 06-12-2010, 09:59 PM   #5  
I am worth it

S/C/G: 250/ticker/140 (maybe 130)

Height: 5' 3" and a half ;)

I agree, Depo is not good at all. I forgot to mention that the horrible side effects happened the month I stopped taking it. I also didn't have a period for months while on it but did I ever pay afterward for it LOL. I would not recommend the stuff even to my worst enemy
sweetnlow28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 03:32 PM   #6  
One day at a time :)

S/C/G: 157/134/122

Height: 5'3"

I haven't gotten mine in forever because I've been running almost every day (even over school breaks) since joining the track team in march. Even though the season ended, I've still been doing a minimum of 2.6 miles a day. I've heard from a lot of people that distance athletes tend to get it not-as-much, plus my body must still be adjusting to the weight that it no longer has to carry.
ElanaRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 10:02 AM   #7  
Losing the baby weight

S/C/G: 224/183/140

Height: 5"4

I've had a few friends gain large amounts of weight from the depo shot, as well as having weird side effects.

I personally had my period for two weeks last month, and it was about two months ago I started getting serious about my weight loss again. I wasn't sure if it was because of weight loss or because I screwed up with my pills and it was a week early. But if it was a week early, it shouldn't have kept going for the second week right?

All I know is it made working out and staying motivated hard!
StephanieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 10:50 AM   #8  
Back on Track 2 Healthy

S/C/G: 270/254.4/Healthy

Height: 5 feet Tall

The DEPO was a lifesaver for me and prolonged my hysterectomy by 10 years. I started it because of heavy TOM (fibroid tumors) and the DEPO stopped my TOM almost completely. If I remember correctly at the beginning I did have a long spurt with TOM but nothing compared to what was going on before. This past year my TOM came back and would happen close to time to get my shot and then this last time the TOM never went away...so it was time for the hysterectomy. We are talking I started DEPO when I was 40 and I am now 50. I don't know what will happen to my body since I won't be taking the DEPO anymore. I guess I will know more the end of July or early August.

I took DEPO to be able to keep my womanly parts as long as possible because that is suppose to be healthy BUT I wonder what came first the chicken or the egg? DEPO/keeping womanly parts for 10 years VS hysterectomy 10 years ago and NO DEPO Who knows?

My weight can't really be judged by DEPO cuz I have been overweight forever and I don't really know if I gained weight cuz of the DEPO or my eating...

My thoughts only...I just felt the need to chime in...Cathy

Cathy
cathydoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 11:18 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 158/153/130

Height: 5'4"

I was on Depo for 7+ yrs. But I've been off it for about 5 yrs now. I was a poster child for its success at first. I lost weight while on Depo. (while I had to work hard to lose weight, I was able to do it). And I did not have many side effects with it.

I got off it about 5yrs ago because of a few of the side effects (chin hair growth was one of them). The big reason was the risk of stroke due to my existing issues with migraines, and the calcium depreviation reports that had been coming out. I was able to convince hubby to go get snipped instead and let me go "hormone free" for a while.

When I first got off Depo - 2 weeks later I started bleeding (hemoriging) and I did that for 3 months. I had gone back to my dr who was going to do a D&C to try to clear me up, but she had to reschedule twice for emergency surgeries and when my appointment finally came up again, I stopped the day before and things have been normal since. Actually, I'm more on schedule than ever and most months its very light. Could have been the depo - or could be age. (I'm 38)

As for "TMI" stuff - well, for me that never really changed. For me, its all about fiber in the diet, water intake, daily routine, and TOM.
chnkymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 01:53 PM   #10  

cool i was just curious if any other ladies had this problem.

Chnky, i got the weird chin hair... hair on my chest, belly.. ugh. BUT the longer i've been off of it its starting to lighten up, thank god.
Old 06-14-2010, 01:57 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 158/153/130

Height: 5'4"

Luci - my chin hair just gets worse. I'm thinking laser hair removal. Just need the economy to turn around so I have the funds for that kind of frivilous spending
chnkymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 09:05 PM   #12  

Height: 5'6"

Just like any other form of medication, every responds differently to Depo. I was on it for 5 years when it first came out, and back then they made you stop taking after 5 years because of the potential for bone loss. I was off of it for several years, and have been back on it for about 3 years.

Granted, I'm pretty freaking hairy anyway, but I've not had any major side effects while on Depo or while coming off of it. I take 1200mg of calcium per day as recommended to combat the potential for bone loss. I had *terrible* periods before Depo - they would last for at least 10 days, with a super tampon change every 2-3 hours (TMI, sorry!).

The only things I don't like about the Depo is injection-site soreness for about a week, and if I wait until the last week possible to get it, I PMS pretty badly.

I'm not discounting your potential side effects, it just seems that every time a Depo thread pops up, it's to discuss the negatives, which may scare people off. Everyone reacts differently to everything - all of the side effects people talk about with Depo are what I experienced while on the pill.
bacilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 12:34 AM   #13  

You are very lucky probably 8 out of 10 people had negative symptoms.

Honestly, i have nothing good to say about the shot other than... I have no babies and i didn't get my period for 3 years.. So all in all it did its job, but i think the damage will last for a long time

Last edited by luciddepths; 06-15-2010 at 12:35 AM.
Old 06-15-2010, 12:47 AM   #14  
Mindful Eater

S/C/G: 165/156/145

Height: 5'8"

I was on Depo about 6 years ago. I gained weight, lost hair, my libido was shot, and I was constantly spotting. Not fun!
Katterina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 12:34 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 234/222.6/170

I take the depo shot and I just stop having a period at all! I take calcium suppliments because of that. When I went off it, it took 9 months before I got my period back and it lasted only 1 or two days and would either come a few days early or late but never anything super crazy. I just went back on it so we'll see if that changes anything.

P.S. I did get a weird chin hair thing too but nothing insane. I did also gain some weight but I don't know if I can for sure contribute it to the shot. My hair has also thinned out compared to how it use to be but again I don't know that it can be timed with being on the shot.

Last edited by StuffedBunny; 06-15-2010 at 12:41 PM.
StuffedBunny is offline   Reply With Quote