Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-27-2010, 06:42 PM   #1  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

Default Am I hungry?

So I'm trying to end mindless, emotional, non hungry eating for good. I'm trying a new strategy and it goes a little something like this.

Craving happens....

Question - Am I hungry
Answer - No
Question - Then why do I want >fill in the blank<
Answer - usually I have no idea

Response - Then move onto something else

I know this sound ridiculously simple, but it seems to be making me aware so that is good.
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 06:50 PM   #2  
It's about time

S/C/G: 300/ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

You know, you may be onto something here! I'm going to try that tonight...because I know I'll be craving a Skinny Cow in about 20 minutes
ParadiseFalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 06:53 PM   #3  

S/C/G: SW 255/220/155

Height: 5.5

Also notice if the sensation is coming from your mouth or your stomach. a LOT of times if I am feeling hungry in the mouth, but no stomach signs, its a sure sign its a craving and not real hunger. Possibly thirsty!
spaghetticat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 06:53 PM   #4  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

I think this is a great idea. And I really try and do this. But sometimes I have to eat whatever it is I want. Otherwise I find myself eating other things to replace it and in the end I am worse off then if I had of just eaten it and been done with it.

Of course I can't do this all the time. But sometimes if there is something I really want, and have wanted it for a few days, I will eat it.

I think it is finding the balance - a real craving and a quick fix. Sometimes I go mmm pizza would be good and two hours later I am fine and forgot about it. But sometimes I want something, right now it's a certain bad kind of sushi, I have wanted it for a couple days. There is a difference between the two, for me anyway. Sometimes I just want certain things. Now, I just need to crave fruits and veggies.

Last edited by sotypical; 05-27-2010 at 06:56 PM.
sotypical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 07:09 PM   #5  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

Quote:
But sometimes I have to eat whatever it is I want. Otherwise I find myself eating other things to replace it and in the end I am worse off then if I had of just eaten it and been done with it.
Very good point. While I still plan my meals a week at a time, I try to allow myself to be flexible and eat what I want when I want it. I'm reading a book that goes into more detail on this and it's very enlighting. While it goes all they way and say to through caloried counting or whatever out the window and just always eat what you want, but only when you're hungry, I need a little more structure than that.

Quote:
Sometimes I go mmm pizza would be good and two hours later I am fine and forgot about it.
Just this week, I wanted cheesecake really bad (it's TOM), but not just any cheesecake, Cheesecake Factory cheesecake. So I just acknowledged the craving and moved on. The next day my DH was are you still craving cheesecake? Let's go to Cheesecake Factory and get cheesecake for dinner. And I said Yuck! NO! I had no desire for the cheesecake whatsoever.
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote