3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   Do you wear support garments? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/198872-do-you-wear-support-garments.html)

Lyn2007 04-12-2010 11:41 AM

I have the Assets brand from Target but I have only worn them in a skirt or dress because WOW do I look lumpy in anything hanging from my waist!! I think they are just fine to wear. Dont' worry what other people think... they are probably wearing them too LOL.

littlemissbliss 04-12-2010 01:44 PM

Add me to the list - I too wear them more often now that I am closer to goal weight. My lower abs have always been my problem area, (slight scoliosis, and a tendency to carry fat there). They are less uncomfortable now than they were when I was 164lbs. It was much harder work to squeeze into them at my heaviest.

I mean, hey, it would be nice to be someone w/no need to "smooth things out", but it would also be nice to be a billionaire - not too many of either of those, lol

duckyyellowfeet 04-12-2010 03:20 PM

I have several outfits that I wouldn't even consider not wearing Spaxs with. They aren't some amazing thing that will allow me to suddenly fit into a size four...but for smoothing out those lumps and just making me feel more confident, its totally worth it and not cheating at all! Being smart about your undergarments is just a wise thing to do.

Gold32 04-12-2010 03:57 PM

Huh. I wore a corset for my wedding. That is it.

Personally, it makes me a little sad that you all need to wear support garments to feel comfortable in society. I don't say that to be mean at all, I just think it's another sad reflection of how much emphasis our society puts on looks.

Quote:

Who cares if the are "socially acceptable"! If it makes you feel better about yourself, then go for it! It is your journey, your life and your feelings that matter, no one else's!
I was also surprised at the number of people who saw this as spot on and awesome. If it were true, you wouldn't feel the need to wear support garments. Obviously, you do care about what is socially acceptable (can't have muffin tops or fat rolls!) and what others think.

Hey, don't get me wrong. That is completely normal, and I think if you are more comfortable and happy with yourself in support garments, then that's what you should wear. I just wish it weren't that way. :(

EDIT: I should clarify that I was working from the assumption that you are wearing them with every day clothes for every day occasions...

catherinef 04-12-2010 05:45 PM

Well, let's see. I've lost 184 pounds. I have some loose skin issues I am trying to deal with. And while improving my health was certainly foremost in my mind when I started this project, I would be lying if I said the thought of looking better wasn't a pretty solid motivation as well. And I am totally OK with my reasons for losing weight, and equally OK with my use of support garments.

Renwomin 04-12-2010 09:02 PM

I don't wear shaper garments every day because I find them very uncomfortable. But when I am wearing skirts and dresses I often wear them. I definitely get "control tops" in my panty hose and wear additional shaping garments depending on the outfit I'm wearing.

duckyyellowfeet 04-12-2010 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gold32 (Post 3244681)
If it were true, you wouldn't feel the need to wear support garments. Obviously, you do care about what is socially acceptable (can't have muffin tops or fat rolls!) and what others think.

See, I disagree with this. *I* feel better wearing Spanxs with certain outfits. Its not about how people are seeing me, but under jersey knit dresses, the jiggly bits just aren't comfortable. Jeans, dress pants, etc. don't give me that same flappy tummy apron feeling. While I know other people cannot see the issue, I feel it whenever I wear a certain outfit. I don't see it as any different from wear a bra that fits or panties that don't ride up. Clothes should make you feel confident about yourself because you like how you're looking and if a foundation garment helps, I don't see it as caving to social ideals

IDontKnow 04-13-2010 05:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweetnlow28 (Post 3244120)
Thanks again ;) I am going to wear that sucker and be proud, squished like a sardine :eek: , but proud LOL.

Thats funny :) :)

natamars 04-13-2010 06:36 AM

I wear support stuff all the time. Even at 116 lbs. and being at the gym every day, I had a lower tummy pooch, so with certain clothes I would wear control-top hose or underwear with lycra.

Question for everyone, though - what garments work for you and don't make your fat stick out in other areas? I have some brief-style underwear with lycra, but they're tight at the waist and make my upper-tomach fat stick out! Maybe I should just stick to one-piece undergarments until I get closer to goal, since right now the area from under my bra through my hips is a problem...

astrophe 04-13-2010 10:05 AM

While I agree the society sometimes overemphasizes looks, I wear my underwear because I'm wearing clothes that need that kind of underwear. Casual undies for casual clothes, formal undies for formal clothes.

I don't like bra to show, so different bras for different kinds of tops that have different neck lines and sleeves/straps.

And I'm not going to bother with formal underwear if it's some summer dress thing to take my kid to the playground. Casual bra and panties is good enough there.

Quote:

Question for everyone, though - what garments work for you and don't make your fat stick out in other areas?
It all depends on what the outfit is. Shaping garments aren't for "squeezing you in." They are for "smoothing the line," so if you are having excessive pooching out, I'd start at ground zero and look to checking that the shaper itself is the right size to start with.

For a sleek dress, I'd probably choose a one piece body suit so the dress line is smooth all the way through. If it's a tailored top with pants, probably could just do a tank shaper instead.

That sort of thing.

HTH!
A.

littlemissbliss 04-13-2010 10:49 AM

I've had to re-think my shapwear. When I was younger, I was just trying to smooth out the lower tummy bulge. At 40, support needs to address the fact that gravity has pulled things down a bit, and also that skin is just not as tight as it used to be, all around. I usually just wear a shaper panty during the week, (the same ones someone else mentioned upthread, Assets, the Target Spanx line).

The author of "How To Never Look Fat" came by my city for a book signing and appearance recently, and she showed us a bunch of new Spanx items. Once I am working again, one of the first things on my list is to get some of the bike shorts Spanx. I never liked them before, as I felt they were a bit too confining, but I think for close fitting dresses I may need the additional support. Also, they provide some coverage on the upper part of the stomach too.

PaulaM 04-13-2010 11:29 AM

Hate to be a party pooper but UGH, no way. I can barely stand to wear a bra (but always do). My weight is pretty firm and I haven't noticed Spanx really does much except make it harder to pee LOL. No judgments for those who like shapers, good for you if you can stand them. I wore tight clothes for years and years when I was slim, and I have vowed that when I'm thin again I will never do it. At my age it's all about comfort now (Stacey London be damned). Add very high heels to the no way, never again list too. I wear fitness pants, the low waisted ones, and t shirts most days. Fortunately I don't have a muffin top, I'm so pear shaped.

MsWannaBSlim 04-21-2010 01:10 PM

I say go for it!

I am going to buy some spanx today. I have an event to go to this weekend and I just spent a few hundred on the outfit and my rationale is, why spend that kind of money and not spend a few extra bucks to wear the right under garments? I can fit a 14, but it's a bit snug and there's some ugly dimples I want hide - I heard spanx will look after that - here's hoping :lucky:

CarbsAreEvil 04-21-2010 01:54 PM

Lots of women swear by them. I wear spanx whenever I'm wearing a tight dress.

sweetnlow28 04-21-2010 02:33 PM

Thanks again, I am feeling better about wearing it, except, after a couple day's wear I realized it is not so comfortable. This is mainly due to the fact that it is a cheaper shaper from wal-mart and the fit is probably not quite right. I am going to save it for special occasions like a get together coming up in March. That way I can buy an outfit slightly smaller with a chance that I will get to wear it more than once before it becomes too big ;)