3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   Do you wear support garments? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/198872-do-you-wear-support-garments.html)

sweetnlow28 04-08-2010 05:13 PM

Do you wear support garments?

Today I decided to buy my first support garment for my spare tire. It is the kind that just pulls on and goes around the waist from rib cage to just above the hips. It is pretty tight but I figured I will shrink into it. I decided now is a good time to get one because my stomach has became a lot softer and tends to jiggle much easier. That spare tire has always been my vice, forcing me to buy shirts that were too large just to cover it up. I realize that the over sized shirts made me look even bigger but the thought of that fat roll sticking out in plain view really bothers me. It is shrinking but just not quite fast enough :^:I tried the garment with a couple different shirts and even my children said I looked smaller. I think that was the first time they paid me any weight loss compliment ;) I do feel kind of like a sardine in a can and sitting down feels a little awkward but I think I can get used to it. I only plan to wear it with tighter shirts when I go out. I am an at home mom so most days don't give occasion to dress up.

I do feel a little embarrassed about wearing it though, almost like I am cheating. There is stigma around people wearing "girdles" and trying to pry themselves into clothes that are sizes too small. I don't think anyone can really tell I am wearing it anyway but I wonder what they would think if they did know. Are these types of garments socially acceptable :?: Do any of you wear them?

Thanks
Amanda

ter22ese 04-08-2010 05:28 PM

Who cares if the are "socially acceptable"! If it makes you feel better about yourself, then go for it! It is your journey, your life and your feelings that matter, no one else's! :)

angelskeep 04-08-2010 05:32 PM

I say do what seems good to you and not to worry what anyone else thinks. I don't usually wear anything special for support...but I have bicycling pants with a padded crotch because it can get uncomfortable otherwise after a while. They are spandex and I am sure I look a bit like Shamu when I wear them, but I'm all about comfort for exercise. I'vwe discovered that they help my middle stay in place and not be so bouncy when I am doing the walking video, so it's a lot more comfy. I wear them for that, too. Not sure if it counts.

Barb

sweetnlow28 04-08-2010 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ter22ese (Post 3238877)
Who cares if the are "socially acceptable"! If it makes you feel better about yourself, then go for it! It is your journey, your life and your feelings that matter, no one else's! :)

That's very true ;) I am going to wear it no matter what but I was just curious how these kinds of things were viewed by society in general. I guess it is a hard question for anyone to answer anyway. I did some googling and found that spanx and other supports are quite popular so I don't feel so bad about it now lol. The one I bought is called a waist cincher.

I have issues as a result of being constantly teased about my weight as a child. I tend to over think what people think of me because I would hate to give anyone a reason to tease me now. It doesn't make sense but I know some people can relate to that :dizzy:

mandalinn82 04-08-2010 06:29 PM

Spanx are definitely acceptable - celebrities discuss all the time how they wear them on the red carpet and for other events. They're not something you have to "hide" anymore...even pretty thin people wear them to smooth them out under clothes.

Onederchic 04-08-2010 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ter22ese (Post 3238877)

Heck yes!

Cotinga 04-08-2010 07:02 PM

Heck yeah I wear them, almost all the time. I've got a blob of fat above my belly button that refuses to go away, and I wear my "fat smoothers" anytime I'm wearing a shirt that would show that blob. They make me feel better in my clothes, and I don't find them uncomfortable. I mostly wear Assets, the Target version of Spanx. They're designed by the same person who designs Spanx, but they're much cheaper. I have several of the tank style camisoles in white that I wear w/ low cut shirts -- they look like regular tank tops, but minimize the blob. You might be more comfortable in something like that than your waist cincher, since they look like normal clothes. But I agree with the others--wear what makes you feel good, and don't worry about anything else.

losermom 04-08-2010 07:11 PM

I often wear my "sucker-upper" camisoles. They just help smooth everything out and are warm too!

ValRock 04-08-2010 07:25 PM

I wear Flexees Fat Free Dressing tanks. They are AWESOME. Pulls everything all in where it needs to be without squishing the life out of me. I layer with camis to keep things from showing through my shirts anyway so they're great!

steph84106 04-08-2010 07:44 PM

I worry sometimes about what people would think if they knew I was wearing spanx under my clothes. I got hooked on them about a year ago and I seriously cannot wait for the day that I am firm enough to not need it.
It drives me crazy ... I wear them almost every day unless I'm home. But it makes me feel much better about myself in my clothes. (aside from always being a million degrees hotter than everyone else!) SO it's tough... I love and hate them!

artic123 04-08-2010 07:52 PM

Heck yes wear it. I wear body shapers because I hate that muffin look when I wear my jeans. No one has to know and I feel better when I look good.

astrophe 04-08-2010 10:43 PM

All this stuff is underwear to me. Bra, panties, slips, camisoles, spanx, pantyhose, etc. Since when is underwear not socially acceptable?

The more dressy the outfit, the more foundation garments I'll have. It really depends more on the outfit what goes with it.

A.

catherinef 04-09-2010 04:58 AM

I LOVE support garments! I have absolutely no shame about them, either. I don't feel like I'm cheating. They have been instrumental in making me hate my body less, because while I'm now just barely overweight, and look pretty normal, I have a couple of waist bulges and my belly still needing work (I am hoping the last chunk of weight I'm working on right now will make a difference there) and being able to smooth them out makes me feel a lot more self-confident.

I also find that support garments are no longer uncomfortable at all to me. Back when I was seriously obese, they were a misery to wear, but now, they actually feel pretty good, if only because I'm not constantly worrying about one of my little remaining fat rolls showing and spoiling the line of my clothing.

sweetnlow28 04-12-2010 10:56 AM

Thanks again ;) I am going to wear that sucker and be proud, squished like a sardine :eek: , but proud LOL.

TamiL 04-12-2010 11:27 AM

I wear them as clothing! Not as underwear. They make some real pretty ones with lace on the bottom. Makes a really nice topper for jeans and short skirts. An added bonus........don't have to wear a bra with them!!!