Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-29-2010, 11:03 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 169/151/150

Height: 5'6"

I've been eating Easter candy, but I don't feel bad about it. I bought a bag of the Hershey's extra creamy chocolate eggs because lately I've been wanting to have something chocolatey and I can't really find anything else to suffice. I have maybe 3 of them a day and figure them into my calories. It's a nice small treat that I can have after lunch or dinner and feel like I'm having real chocolate.
fray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 11:45 AM   #17  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

From other posts here, maybe you can see this is why I was asking you about the specific behavior & about **how** you are eating your eggs.

Quote:
I have maybe 3 of them a day and figure them into my calories. It's a nice small treat that I can have after lunch or dinner and feel like I'm having real chocolate.
And this:

Quote:
My husband bought a four-pack for me a couple of weeks ago, and I scheduled one a day into my calorie budget for four days.
These are all pretty sane ways of handling "once a year" treats, where you plan for them & eat them mindfully and savor them.

And then there is buying lots of candy, and saying you'll have one, and then reneging on your promise to yourself, and going back for more, & then more, & then "might as well finish it NOW" & then buying more the next day. That's far less controlled. It can make you feel unhappy, in a way those who planned it out aren't.

So I am asking you about how, exactly, you consumed your eggs & what the behavior was. Because it's a behavior. You can make decisions about & modify behaviors. If that's what you want.

The way others posting on this thread enjoyed their eggs certainly is one option. The other option is not having any at all. Depending on how important they are.

Last edited by saef; 03-29-2010 at 11:46 AM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 11:52 AM   #18  
Lorie

S/C/G: 280/ticker/160

Height: 5'7

Oh my goodness I know what you mean!!! I have 4 kids, ages 6 and under, and we have a ton of candy around here, just sitting in the bags because i'm afraid to start pulling it out and putting everything together for fear that a few of those dreaded hershey eggs or a bunny might enter my mouth!! I'm planning on getting my husband to sit with me and put it all together, he can keep me honest, he usually just says "are you sure you want to eat that?" It gives me enough pause to realize, hmmm....no I really don't NEED to eat that lol! Be strong girlie, one week and this holiday is almost over and done, but the next one is always around the corner. Try giving yourself enough pause to really think about it, I have even gone so far as sticking a polaroid on the cabinet or fridge of myself, just to give me that pause of "Hmm... I'm trying to lose weight, not gain it!" Hope this helps some! Don't give up, keep reaching for your goals sweetpea!!
glenlorie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 12:01 PM   #19  
Jeri

S/C/G: 286/142.6/150/new goal 140

Height: 5-4

Thankfully, I don't like Cadbury Eggs! However, other candy prevalant this time of year really does tempt me. This year, I've had dh do all the shopping for the candy to go into the kids' baskets and in the plastic eggs we use for our egg hunt. I'm just not dealing with any of the candy until Easter Eve when we put it all together. It's really hard. I ate way too much of this stuff back at Christmas (though I still lost two lbs between T'giving and New Years, when I usually gain 10-15) and it didn't make me feel good. Because I ate so much candy, I didn't get to really enjoy a lot of the actual Christmas foods that I worked so hard to make for my family. I was too stuffed, too sugar addled, and the sugar really ruined my tastebuds for the savory food I'd made for dinner.
eclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 12:31 PM   #20  
Beautylicious

S/C/G: 148/144/135

Height: 5'6

As an aside - and this is just a thought - we (dh and I) decided that we're not going all out with the Easter candy for our little guy. He's 2 and a half, and we want to try to instill healthy eating habits as early as possible. He doesn't need a tonne of candy, no child does, so we're doing a small "egg hunt" using jellybeans, and giving him one Monster Truck chocolate, which we'll ration accordingly. His grandparents asked about gifts for Easter, and we suggested non food items, so he's getting a handmade John Deere blanket from them.

I know Easter is full of plenty of opportunities for candy and sugar and chocolate, and everything in moderation is a great rule of thumb, if you can limit yourself to that moderation, and not be tempted to gorge. We're hoping to teach our little guy that treats are great, in small quantities. They should be enjoyed, and they should BE a treat, not a huge pile of candy that will cause sugar imbalances. In my opinion.
CharlieBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 12:48 PM   #21  
So close to onederland...

S/C/G: 271/ticker/160

Height: 5'-8"

I only have one little thing to add, the problem I find with saying "Oh, it's a holiday I can afford to splurge on a little candy." There are so many holidays with candy/desserts.
Valentines candy
Christmas candies, cookies, cakes
Easter candy
Halloween candy
4th of July brownies or cookies
Thanksgiving pumpkin pie

That's 6 months of derailing myself (or gaining ) if I don't work that candy/dessert into my plan and in moderation.

So consider the other posters when they suggest eating one per day and working it into your allotment, and if you can't manage something like that-then do what the rest do and don't buy it at all.

Last edited by sprklemajik; 03-29-2010 at 12:49 PM.
sprklemajik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 01:22 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 228/208/140

Height: 5'5"

Easter candy is my absolute favorite, but I'm not eating it this year. I can't just have a little, I'll just want to eat more. I think the sugar makes your body crave more.
Going4Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 01:49 PM   #23  

Height: 5'5.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieBaby View Post
IEaster candy isn't usually even good chocolate.
CharlieBaby - I think all chocolate is good chocolate!

Seriously, the issue for me is that I don't really want the candy. I want to over eat the candy. So if I have one egg it makes me less happy than if I don't have any. I think if you feel the way I do the only solution is to not start. On the other hand if you love the taste of the candy then just buying one and enjoying it is a good solution.
LizR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 02:39 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 263/ticker/156

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizR View Post
CharlieBaby - I think all chocolate is good chocolate!

Seriously, the issue for me is that I don't really want the candy. I want to over eat the candy. So if I have one egg it makes me less happy than if I don't have any. I think if you feel the way I do the only solution is to not start. On the other hand if you love the taste of the candy then just buying one and enjoying it is a good solution.
yes, I think I am like that with chocolate too. Some things, I can have a small portion and move on. But no matter how many times I tell myself that I'm only going to eat a couple of pieces of chocolate, and save the rest to have over many days, the next thing I know, I'm looking at the bottom of an empty bag.

I haven't ruled out having chocolate entirely but if I indulge, I buy one single serving so the rest isn't around to lead me astray. And mostly, I don't buy any at all, but knowing that I have "permission" if I absolutely am craving some makes it easier to skip all the "gee, I could eat some chocolate" moments because those could happen every day!
PeanutsMom704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 03:12 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 266/216/166

Height: 5' 1"

Yes, somewhat. Luckily there has been no Easter candy around so I can't say I went through that specifically but holidays are hard, I feel you on that one. Easter candy tastes sooo good (all of that chocolate) but I keep telling myself that I can have chocolate any old time and that I shouldn't over do it for Easter, or any holiday. I hope things get better for you because holidays are all really hard, that's for sure.
bunnythesAINT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 03:16 PM   #26  

I don't eat candy anymore..or, rarely do I. One thing that has helped me is to research what "garbage" they put into these candies. Many of these things have hydrogenated oils (trans fats). I have researched into trans fats and how bad they are. Next time you buy that cadbury egg or any food look at the nutritional info and look for the words "hydrogenated" or "partially hydrogenated". My rule is - if it has those words, put it back.
shenfan90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 03:27 PM   #27  
Counting away!

S/C/G: 217/211/122

Height: 5'3

Cadbury Creme Eggs are one of my alltime favorite things. Knowing this, I am buying "The One" on Saturday. I have been building up two weeks of excitement over it! Its going to be AWESOME. I can't wait.

Having said that, I wouldn't want to cheapen my joy for them by buying several and gorging myself... whats the fun in that? Its a special treat that rolls around once a year. So on the night before Easter, I am making a special trip out and buying myself one.

Like someone else said, as long as bags of it don't make its way to my house, I am completely fine not buying it for myself. And luckily our Easter bunny is buying fruit and Pokemon cards(which are my son's preference)...
parkedout is offline   Reply With Quote