Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-25-2010, 10:23 AM   #16  
Back on Track 2 Healthy

S/C/G: 270/254.4/Healthy

Height: 5 feet Tall

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwife View Post
"Good morning, Doctor's Office. I would like to schedule my annual exam. I would like to have my lipid panel and a fasting glucose checked. Could you please verify with my insurance that those labs will be covered? What will my co-pay be?"

If they refuse to check or will not tell you if those preventive and screening services and tests are covered, the call your insurance company and ask them directly. A Pap is probably also indicated if it has been a few years. Some Family Practice docs don't do Paps, so you might add on to your inquiry "I am also due for a Pap. Will that be part of my Annual Exam? Is that covered by my co-pay?"

Don't be shy! Their job is to help you get the care you need. And I guarantee you won't ask something they've never heard before.
So glad we have a health professional among us!! Unfortunately my health coverage doesn't cover well visits or anything preventive (they would rather pay for cancer or something else...another time for this rant )...and if your plan doesn't maybe when you get into see the doc you talk about a payment plan or talk to their bill person! Lots of times docs do have pull when it comes to payment plans!

Good Luck!
cathydoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 10:32 AM   #17  
No description available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathydoe View Post
Unfortunately my health coverage doesn't cover well visits or anything preventive (they would rather pay for cancer or something else...another time for this rant )...and if your plan doesn't maybe when you get into see the doc you talk about a payment plan or talk to their bill person! Lots of times docs do have pull when it comes to payment plans!

Good Luck!
It definitely varies depending on insurance, which is why asking up front can be so helpful.

Some insurances include labs, some require the person to pay out of pocket up to a certain $, some have high deductibles....but all of that is exactly why doctors' offices usually have someone who calls insurance companies all day to find out about each person's plan, what it covers, what would be out of pocket, etc., to reduce the chance of surprises. This is information that should be obtainable prior to services rendered. If something new comes up during the visit, it is certainly ok to say "How much will that cost?" The provider won't know (probably) but part of making informed choices is knowing how much things are going to cost. There is no shame in figuring all of that out before running face first into a bill.

Last edited by midwife; 03-25-2010 at 10:44 AM.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 10:38 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 219/219/140

Height: 5'5"

Great numbers! I also heard today on the news that there is a new study out showing a lower incident of breast cancer after menopause with a combination of exercise and eating healthy. So that is another great incentive!
Twitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 11:54 AM   #19  
Argh.

S/C/G: 308/273/175

Height: 5'9"

We also have health fairs periodically that will help you get your blood tests done for a reasonable price - maybe you could check into that?
calluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 11:57 AM   #20  

S/C/G: 263/ticker/156

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glory87 View Post
I am unsure, I know that now that I am maintaining my weight loss, I eat more healthy fats. Nuts, olive oil, avocado. The kind of GREAT FOODS that were too calorie-dense when I was trying to lose weight.

Per this list, I do most of these things
Thanks Glory!

I do that stuff too, and my other numbers are all looking good, just not HDL. I'll have to check with my doctor and see what they say.
PeanutsMom704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 12:19 PM   #21  
Workin' It

A coworker told me recently that when she gave blood that they mailed her a summary afterwards that included her cholesterol and blood sugar numbers. Now, I have terrible veins so can't give blood so don't know if that is true or not, but if so that could be a win-win kind of cholesterol test.

And, health fairs are good, too. They have them often around big sporting events here.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote