Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-22-2010, 04:40 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 210/176/133

Height: 5ft 6"

Default Quite proud actually :)

I went to town today. I went and bought one of them huge caramel bars again! Literally it's like a compulsion, I can't walk past it - it was only 99p, you see! Anyway as I left the shop (intending on eating it all at the bus stop and disposing of the evidence before getting home) my bus pulled past and I had to run to catch it (was later than I thought) so anyway, by the time I got on the bus the moment had gone and I got to thinking, "Do I really want this?" Okay, maybe I did / do, but I DONT want it as much as I want to get fit and healthy. I managed to not eat it and when I got in I handed it straight to hubby and asked him to please get rid of it. It seems so wasteful but I don't want to eat it - I shouldn't have bought it! There are over 1000calories in one bar, so I would have been over my daily limit by that much if I had eaten it! I know it would have made me feel sick and bloated before even eating dinner and that I would have been disapointed in myself and beaten myself up about it, too. I was glad that I was able to get past that moment of feeling like I needed it to realise that I DON'T need or want it at all!

I now feel proud of myself for not eating it despite having already bought it, and a bit more likely to succeed in this diet as maybe all I need is to be able to curve cravings for a short time in order to realise I don't want what I'm hankering after after all!
CurlyWurly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 04:58 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 216/212.6/160

Height: 5'6"

Oh my gosh! 1000 calories! That alone would scare me to death, I would never eat that. I would be afraid to even touch it!
KyAngel1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 05:10 PM   #3  
LMS

S/C/G: 185/185/125

Height: 5'1

Good for you! It's really hard to not eat something when you already got it in your hands! Very encouraging!
LMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 05:22 PM   #4  
Joie de Vivre!!

S/C/G: 230/ticker/130

Height: 5'7"

YAY for you!! That's great progress! =)
TheBunneh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 05:32 PM   #5  

Height: 5'5.5"

Great job!!

I used to order dinner from Dominos and eat a 3,000 calorie dinner!
LizR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 05:38 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 240/235/150

Height: 5'7

That's so great! It's very liberating to be able to refrain from eating something like that.
Fatter Fitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 05:43 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 265/TickTickBoom/ST-220

Height: 5'6

Yay! I remember you talking about how badly you felt about eating it before. Good for you for just giving it to your hubby!!
Gourmet Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 06:03 PM   #8  
Always drink your water..

S/C/G: 215/198.5/119

Height: 5'1"

ALERT - disturbing imagery ahead!!!

I don't know if this will help you or not with your caramel bunnie/bar addiction, Curly, but my best friend used to be a bona fide chocoholic (I remember when we shared a house together the MANY occasions she'd put a coat on over her PJs and drive to a 24 hour supermarked at 4am to buy three or four 200g bars of Cadbury Fruit and Nut). Well, this addiction was fine and dandy because she wasn't especially overweight (just 5 lbs or so), but then she developed diabetes. Try as she might, she simply couldn't break her chocolate addiction, and she was getting prety sick, and the docs were giving her dire warnings about future problems such as kidney failure, and she was getting desperate but still chowing down on the bars of Cadburys.

Finally, in desperation, she saw a dietician who advised her that every time she held a piece of chocolate she should visualise it crawling with maggots...He told her to close her eyes and REALLY visualise it, and imagine that awful musty maggotty smell, and how the maggots would taste on her tongue...well, you get the picture!

I didn't believe it would work (we've been friends since primary school and I NEVER thought she could resist chocolate), but it really did work! Honestly, I was amazed! She pretty much went cold turkey on the chocolate, and never really re-developed a taste for it. (Maybe it helped that she had some acupuncture to reinforce the message, but I really think she'd have gone off chocolate even without the acupuncture). The visual imagery was strong enough for her that she lost all desire to eat it.

Anyway, she's been in a sort of diabetes remission now for 23 years...and Cadbury's profits must have taken a nose dive when she quit her addiction!

Of course with every addiction you need to be aware of breaking one only to develop another hot on its heels...but this chocolate addiction CAN be broken...you know in your heart that's true! Maybe maggots won't float your boat, but you'll find some other way to break its spell over you!

Last edited by Dippy Chip; 03-22-2010 at 06:05 PM.
Dippy Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 06:12 PM   #9  

Height: 5'9"

I'm proud of you too! That's what I call WILLPOWER!

Last edited by luvja; 03-22-2010 at 06:12 PM.
luvja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 06:29 PM   #10  

One time I was hypnotized using the same maggot method Dippy Chip brought up about peanut M&Ms. I LOVED peanut m&ms. I could go through a family bag in one sitting while on my TOM. Now, I never buy or eat them. They don't repulse me, but I don't care to have them.
ValentineNicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 06:57 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 210/176/133

Height: 5ft 6"

Wow that maggot imagery has put me off already! I don't know how long that will last but I hope a good long time (part of me hopes not forever though I would so like to be able to enjoy chocolate again one day... when I am not fat lol).

Hubby is taking the chocolate to work with him tomorrow and has promised to eat it all. That's just fine by me, at 8stone 4lbs at 6 foot tall a 1000 calorie chocolate bar is probably just what he needs!
CurlyWurly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 07:04 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 192/132/135

Height: 5'3

Wow that took a lot of will power not to eat it, great for you..
RoseRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 07:10 PM   #13  
Watch Me Shrink!

S/C/G: 168/159/135

Height: 5'2

Congrats!
SlimBy2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 07:34 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 224/ticker/140

Height: 5' 4"

Awesome job!!! I did a similar thing with a batch of cookie dough I made last night. I was really craving cookie dough, so I pulled out the recipe for 60 cookies (yeah, you read that right) and, as always, started munching while I was making them. By the time I was finished mixing everything together, I had no desire to eat it. On a normal day, I wouldn't eaten half of it and baked the other half. BUT instead, I threw it in the freezer for a later time when I have a cookie dough craving and can just thaw out a cookie's worth of dough instead of 60 of them.

Not as big a victory as yours since I did have some dough afterall, but pretty good by my standards.

Yay for awesomeness!
augeremt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 07:43 PM   #15  
aka christina :)

S/C/G: 142/118/116

Height: 5'5

congrats, i wish i had that willpower!
diornotwar is offline   Reply With Quote