Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-18-2010, 11:41 AM   #16  
Beautylicious

S/C/G: 148/144/135

Height: 5'6

Shmead, that might be the most awesome answer yet.
CharlieBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 11:46 AM   #17  

Height: 5'3"

Nope.

I make the best choices I can, and in most cases, that's good enough for me. If I know I've eaten a meal with more calories than I usually consume (either due to poor planning, bad day, etc.), I just compensate by exercising a little more or eating a lighter meal later in the day.

I love good food -- healthy stuff, as well as some truly decadent stuff. (Foie gras or cheesecake anyone?) I'm willing to indulge on a sporadic basis to make myself happy. I love rich food, good wine, great sex.

I don't have a particularly addictive relationship with food or alcohol, so this is easy for me. I realize it's not so easy for others.

The book "French Women Don't Get Fat" is not a really serious book, but the philosophy of eating wonderful food in small portions, getting *regular* exercise, and not feeling guilty for indulging is a good one to keep in mind.
rachinma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 12:19 PM   #18  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

Quote:

S/C/G: 333/143

Height: 5'7"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
I just need to lighten up I guess

Why in the world would you want to lighten up on your calorie concerns? Don't ya think that's how you got to 268 pounds?

No, if I were you, I'd keep calculating. The minute you don't care is the minute you'll be on the fast track to weight gain.
This is exactly what I needed to hear Sometimes I need to be reminded.
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 12:21 PM   #19  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

Quote:
Oooh, problem here. I don't get too up in arms about overdoing the calories once in a while, but not practically on purpose! If you're already over calories, you kind of have to suck it up and don't make it any worse.
Yeah, I've been working on this and getting better...last night was a little bit of a slip, but nearly as bad as one's from my past
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 12:27 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 330/274/200

Height: 5'8"

Oh my god, calorie counting has completely ruined food at Starbucks (where I work) for me. I mean, that's not a bad thing... because it's easy to get into a rut of eating snacks at work, and conflating a Starbucks pastry (in this case an apple fritter) with a doughnut. Doesn't matter how fancy or expensive that doughnut is, it's still a fried, glazed, zillion calorie waste of space in my stomach. So while I miss some of my junk foods, I don't miss them as much as I thought I would because I genuinely don't WANT them anymore knowing how bad they are for me.
neonwildflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 12:37 PM   #21  
Jeri

S/C/G: 286/142.6/150/new goal 140

Height: 5-4

On the other hand, it's made somethings easier to eat, knowing the calories. Last night, dh brought home a box of Good Humor Chocolate Eclair bars that looked to freaking die for. I wasn't going to eat one, until Dh turned the box over saying "I bet you don't even want to know the number of calories in these! It's got to be, like 300, at least. Oh. Hum. It's only 160 calories." So I ate one. And it was really yummy and it fit into my calories for the day quite nicely.
eclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 04:40 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 192/maintaining upper 120's

Height: 5"8.5" 51 yrs

Ignorance does not help me. I am very glad to know calorie counts and will track for the rest of my life. It has made foods I enjoy more pleasurefull. I have also become more discerning. Do I really want an omelet with pancake batter in it? No way. But I will enjoy my Guiness with corned beef on St. Patrick's Day and lemon bars DD made. YMMV.
Karen925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 04:47 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 280/255/Healthy, Happy, Strong

Height: 5'7"

In some ways calorie counter has ruined eating some foods for me, but I'm so very glad that it has! The way I was eating before was like purchasing items at a store without knowing the price or the full consequences. How many of us can afford to shop and not be concerned at all with the prices? I certainly can't! I also can't afford to eat whatever I want without being concerned about the impact it has on my body. Last I checked I only get one body and I need to take care of it!

Just like I bargain shop and want to get the best bang for my buck, I do the same thing with food. I prefer to research nutrition information for restaurants ahead of time before I go so I can make smart decisions. If I don't have access to that information I try to calculate what I believe the calories might be in a dish from menu information, ask for anything I really want to control the amount of on the side, and calculate again when I get a look at the meal.

Be careful what you chose, but DO NOT be afraid to send something back if it wasn't what you bargained for either in calorie content or taste. In my life I've worked in all different types of restaurants for over 10 years total as a server (and other odd jobs.) and I can assure you that the servers want you happy and would much, much rather you send food back then be displeased with it. (Their tip is dependent on your happiness after all!) Most of us wouldn't stand for getting ripped off with a purchase, are we really going to let ourselves get ripped off by a high calorie meal?

I want the very best value for my caloric currency. Watching closely what I eat has helped me appreciate my food more in a lot of ways and not less. I'm more conscious now of how the food tastes and how much I'm enjoying it. If it doesn't taste GOOD and I'm not enjoying it I don't eat it! There is no way I'm going to give up my precious calories for some high calorie BLECK. If it is high in calories it better be divine!

Even with all that said, I keep careful track of what I eat most of the time for a reason. If I really feel like splurging on something divine then I go for it with the full knowledge of what that may mean for my progress. Sometimes it just is worth it to me.

I got into this mess by not taking care of me, and I'm going to get out of it by looking out for my best interests!

(Sorry for the long post. I got on a roll.)
Renwomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 04:48 PM   #24  
Counting away!

S/C/G: 217/211/122

Height: 5'3

I guess it could. One of my favorite things in the world--USED to be the sirloin burger from Jack in the Box -- 900 calories of meat, fat and cheese that took two hands to eat---(How did I get this big again... Oh yeah!!!) and that doesn't count the fries and the soda that fits in a cup the size of a trashcan!

So. Yeah, thats ruined. For one--I don't think I could eat a whole one anymore, for two--if I am going to eat 900 calories of ANYTHING its going to be fantastic. Not a greasy burger!
parkedout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 05:27 PM   #25  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

What do they say - ignorance is bliss?

Well, now that I KNOW just how caloric-ally horrific certain foods are - you're darn tootin' I can't enjoy them the same way. How could I?

It's so funny. Because that same exact line Lori Bell picked up on was EXACTLY the one I was going to at

Quote:
I just need to lighten up I guess
Lighten up? G_d forbid. Oh my - no, never - G-d forbid.

I "lightened" up for years. I lightened up all the way to 287 lbs at a mere 5 feet tall. I wasn't all that light . In fact I was quite, quite HEAVY.

I just don't eat any old thing (anymore). I think twice about it. I don't eat recklessly. I eat mindfully.

I'm not sure why no one ever thinks twice about not lightening up on going to work every day, wearing a seat belt, brushing your teeth, showering, knowing the wear abouts of your young children, housework, bill paying....

You lighten up on these things - and there is a price to pay. A BIG one.

Things that matter. Things that are important, are worthy of the time, thought and energy that we put into it. It's okay to put your health, your weight in that category - the things that really matter and are important category. It's okay. More than okay in fact.

My health, my weight - it matters. There will be no more lightening/easing up for me as far as I'm concerned. I went that route for waaaay too long. And there was indeed a very big price to pay for it.

Last edited by rockinrobin; 03-18-2010 at 05:30 PM.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 03:19 AM   #26  
Really maintaining now!

S/C/G: 375.6/low 160s maintaining

Height: 6'

The only thing it ruins is my ability to eat anything I want without thinking of the consequences. This is a good thing! It doesn't mean I don't occasionally work a treat in, but I tell you, the longer I go on, the less I want to do that. I have a calorie budget, and my willingness to blow a portion of it on small, calorie-dense goodies is limited. Sure, I could have that cupcake, or whatever, but then I'm going to have to make adjustments that will deny me the much bigger, more satisfying portions of the 'regular' food I like to eat. So: one cupcake or a big bowl of soup and an enormous salad? One cupcake is never, ever enough for me. I eat it, and I am NOT satisfied. It just makes me want more and more and more, and I hate spending the mental energy to fight off further cravings, whilst kicking myself for letting the genie out of the bottle.
catherinef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 04:06 AM   #27  
Dream BIG to be small!

S/C/G: (kg)75/74/46

Height: 159cm 5"2

yeah it makes me feel a little upset when I look at the calorie count behind a bag of biscuits. Like "one small pack of biscuits are 250kcal!!!"

And i really want to eat it! If only the smaller the food is, the lower the calorie count.......
unidestiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 08:30 AM   #28  

S/C/G: 185/161/148

Height: 5'5"

Yes, knowing the calorie count does ruin it--the very point! :-)

When I think of the numbers I was mindlessly consuming in the past two years (because of stress, mainly), it's no wonder I rocketed up 30 pounds, the biggest and fastest weight gain of my life. Since I no longer have a youthful metabolism, I needed a major attitude adjustment. Being scrupulously aware of calorie counts has really changed the way I think about food.

And as many have said, it does allow us to plan for the occasional indulgence!

Last edited by Joan; 03-19-2010 at 08:34 AM.
Joan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 08:38 AM   #29  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joan View Post
Yes, knowing the calorie count does ruin it--the very point! :-)
Kinda like when I'm shopping and I find a pair of fabulous shoes. And then I see the price tag - ummm, not so fabulous anymore!!! All right maybe still fabulous looking shoes - but not so worth it anymore. TOO DARN EXPENSIVE. The price is too high. It is over my budget. No. Can. Do.

Luckily these other shoes that I had my eye on are pretty gorgeous too. Only they won't put me into hock. So I can thoroughly enjoy buying them and wearing them without breaking the bank. And with no guilt. It's a win/sin situation.

Last edited by rockinrobin; 03-19-2010 at 08:39 AM.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 08:42 AM   #30  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
It's a win/sin situation.
Ha! Is that a typo?

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote