Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-10-2010, 12:12 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 285/180/160

Height: 5'9"

Would you like to feel better about yourself? I'm only telling you this story to let you know if I can make it through my nipple experience, you can too!

In a fit of boredom, I pierced both of my nipples. Sure, whatever, no problems until about two months later, when I caught one of the barbells on the inside of my bra. The small tear caused an infection....it hurt, it oozed, and it was swollen all the time. I had to call my student health center and tell the receptionist why I needed to be seen "Ummm...I have an infection. 'An infection where?' 'that would be my right nipple."

So I went in, and of course, the only doctor was male that day. And they gave me one of those paper gowns and I sat in my pink paper, waiting for the doctor to come in. He finally does, I explain the situation and he brings a female nurse in. Looks at my boobie, and has me put the gown back on. And says "yep, its infected. You need to salt water soak your nipple three times a day. Here are some pills. You might want to take those out...ummm, thanks!"

And that was it. It didn't kill me, my nipple healed fine. The doctor has seen everything (this was my student health center, so they really see everything you can think that college students do.) My nipple looked no different than any other nipple, minus the infection. He couldn't have cared less, but I felt much better. So do it. If I can, you can. I promise.
duckyyellowfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 01:02 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 164.3/see ticker/118

Height: 5'3"

I'm also going to say not to be embarassed. I have a small tumor in my left breast. Because cancer runs in my family, i have to get my boobs examined on a fairly regular basis. Unfortunately, my dr is also male. He gets to feel my cheast once or twice a year to make sure they're health and the lump hasn't changed. Yeah it's awkward, but not as awkward as a life threatening illness! Trust me I know it's embaressing, but it wiil take a mere couple of minutes and then it will be all over! Then it's a funny story to post on an Internet message board!
shantroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 06:21 AM   #18  
Loving Life!

S/C/G: 230/220/120

Height: 5'0"

I'm going to chime in and say please, please don't be embarassed to see your doctor! I see that you're in Canada... I know it's easier said than done to just decide you want a female doctor instead of a male doctor. At least here on the east coast, we have such a shortage of family doctors, period. We don't have the option to be picky.

If it makes you more comfortable, have your mom go with you into the examining room, or request to have a female nurse there (which should happen automatically, anyway, for that sort of exam).
MakingSkinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 09:20 AM   #19  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rythm View Post
I just told my mother, and she's booking an appointment with a doctor. She looked at it and told me it looked bigger and less round than my other nipple. Then she proceeded to give me a breast exam. Most awkward experience EVER. I can only imagine how awful it'll be with a doctor. If a female isn't available to see me, I'll refuse.
Don't be silly. I don't understand why an appointment with a doctor would be hard? And who cares what's the doc's gender? All you should care about is whether he is professional and somebody who cares about his patients.
You need to see a doctor to have this checked, the sooner the better.
I have seen a male gynocologist and did not bother me.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 10:49 AM   #20  

Tomato, I think Rythym is in high school and likely somewhat uncomfortable with this whole ordeal. I remember being that way until my early 20s. I don't blame her for being uncomfortable and a little nervous about it all. In high school I was shy and uncomfortable with my body; having anyone look at it mom, dad, friend, dr - male or female would make me uncomfortable. Now that I'm a little older and have experienced some health issues I don't care who examines me. However, as a teen I would have been mortified discussing my breasts with anyone let alone a man, even if he was a dr. So I completely understand where she's coming from. Hopefully, she'll be ok and realize that a moment of awkwadness is worth knowing what's the matter.
Old 03-10-2010, 12:01 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 189/186/125

Height: 5'5"

I'm gonna chime in here! While I personally have never had any issues with these kinds of exams, I can see why you would!!

I remember right after high school my roommate had her first ob/gyn appointment. She is a tiny little thing and when she went to put her legs up in the stirrups, she slipped!! And the doctor got a faceful of.......well...you know.

My point is, your nipple is not the worst the doctor has seen and it could be worse! You could be landing crotch first in his face!! lol.

But good luck, I hope it's nothing!
Brittany1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 12:11 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 179/169/140

Height: 5'7"

I just wanted to say that I have a similar issue with the itching on my nipple and It was a type of dermititis. I ddin't want my male dermatologist to look at it so I saw the female nurse practitioner and she was able to exam me and perscribe medication. My itching tends to get worse during the winter months. I was also told to make sure not to use laundry detergent with lots of fragrance etc. in it and to rinse my bras out even after they have been washed. Hope this helps.
sunnysky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 12:06 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 240/190/140

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
I remember right after high school my roommate had her first ob/gyn appointment. She is a tiny little thing and when she went to put her legs up in the stirrups, she slipped!! And the doctor got a faceful of.......well...you know.
Oh my god... She must have been mortified. Poor girl.

Quote:
In a fit of boredom, I pierced both of my nipples.
I met a girl who had one of her nipples pierced. She was drunk, topless, and outside when she fell onto the deck. Her piercing somehow got wedged between the boards, so when she tried to get up she tore it. [shudders]

Quote:
I had to call my student health center and tell the receptionist why I needed to be seen "Ummm...I have an infection. 'An infection where?' 'that would be my right nipple."
...Did you pierce it by yourself?

Anyway, thanks guys. I'll let you know what the deal is when I find out ( incase you're wondering about my nipple ) My mom called the doctor's office, but nobody was there to pick up. This happens a lot. I told her we need to get another doctor if this one can't be bothered to meet with patients, but she said that it's hard to find a doctor who is taking new patients. So I'm probably going to meet with Planned Parenthood.

Last edited by Rythm; 03-11-2010 at 12:10 PM.
Rythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 04:16 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 201/ticker/125

Height: 5'

I call my boobs "saggy bags of flesh" all the time to my husband. I really don't get the big deal. But I do understand why some people do. Regardless, I do hope you at least understand that male doctors are complete professionals, and don't see your nipples as "nipples". Interestingly, you seem unnerved by them being too cold about it as well. Do you want them turned on by your nipples, or not?

Heck, I've told two male doctors recently that my abdomen pain can be triggered when I orgasm. They were both totally off guard, but hid it well.

And now one of them is going up my butt. (For medical reasons, I swear!) Joy.

I've also had some random ER guy I've never seen before or since do a pelvic exam. Yep, total strangers hands up my woohoo. I didn't care at all, as I was at a 9 or so on the pain scale. If they had told me, "you must lick this tarantula to feel better" I probably would have. But this came first, so maybe after that, I stopped caring.

I think what I'm trying to say, in a rambling way, is that with experience comes a lack of concern in this area. One day, after you've given birth to your first child, you'll be amazed you were ever embarrassed by your nipple. But I'd say for now, if you can find a female to help you, who cares? Hopefully the solution is simple, and you can move on.
Gold32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 04:43 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 225/183/155

Height: 5'7"

[QUOTE=Brittany1988;3194088]

QUOTE]

OMG - I almost spit out my water!!!!

I used to be very, very shy about having male OB/Gyn and having exams too. I used to always try to have a female doc. After 2 kids tho - anything goes...

Just relax (easier said then done) - Doc have seen pretty much everything before they even leave med school. That's why we pay them the big bucks. If it is a male doc, they usually require a female assist to be there and I used to always bring my mom in the room with me for support.
lights76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 06:26 PM   #26  

Brittany's story reminds me of my first obgyn appointment. It was with Dr. Smith. I'm in my gown feet in the stirrups and in walks Dr. Smith........ who is low and behold my friend's dad!!!!! She and her dad had different last names, so I didn't twig to the fact that Dr. Smith was actually "Bill" my friend's father. Yeah, dinner the next night at my friend's was slightly awkward. I got a new doc after that one!
Old 03-11-2010, 11:31 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 285/180/160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rythm View Post
...Did you pierce it by yourself?
Goodness, no. I knew a girl in high school who used to tell me this horror story about the time she did it herself....*shudders*
All of my piercings are done by professionals who I pay a fair amount of money to ensure I have the best chance of avoiding painful outcomes. The infection was my fault.
duckyyellowfeet is offline   Reply With Quote