Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-08-2010, 09:39 PM   #1  
Endeavor to Persevere

S/C/G: 386/see ticker/200

Height: 5'7"

Default Any and All advice and suggestions welcome!!

I was just wondering if 6 months is too short a time to try and lose 100 lbs.?? I would like to try and achieve that by my birthday!! It will take some doing I'm sure but I would really like to try!!!

Whatcha think????
thinmintintraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 09:55 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 282/282/145

Height: 5' 5''

WOW! THat's ambitious, but I've said it somewhere on here before that one of the contestants on the Biggest Loser recently lost 119 lbs in 7 weeks. That had to hurt! But, I guess physically it's possible if you can get a mental hold on it. Sounds like a great goal to have in mind. Good luck on it!
ThinkinThin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 10:08 PM   #3  
Endeavor to Persevere

S/C/G: 386/see ticker/200

Thanks!! I believe I will give it a whirl! I'm sure it will take hard work and determination but with God's help, I know I can make it!
thinmintintraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 10:38 PM   #4  
hand to mouth disease?

S/C/G: 261/see ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

Please talk to your doctor. What the people do on The Biggest Loser and what we mere mortals are able to achieve are different things. The people on The Biggest Loser are risking their lives to win a contest, they are under constant medical supervision with an ambulance parked nearby.
weebleswobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 10:50 PM   #5  

Height: 5'5.5"

I absolutely agree about talking to a doctor. Don't take risks for your long term health!
LizR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 10:58 PM   #6  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

Honestly you really shouldn't try to lose more than 2 lbs a week, for several reasons. It's not healthy, you'll likely have worse saggy skin, people who lose too quickly statically don't keep it off. I know you're anxious to lose the weight but like everyone says you didn't gain it overnight. Take it slow and find a good plan you can maintain and you'll be suprised how well it will go. Good luck!
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 11:11 PM   #7  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I think a much better goal is one based on behavior not results (which you don't always have direct control of).

In my experience goal "by date" are a recipe for disaster. If you fall behind, will you be tempted to try crazier and crazier, unhealthy and even dangerous methods to catch up - if you get to your goal day and have only lost 50 lbs, 80, 95 will you feel like you've failed?

I always did, which is why I'm dead set against them - I think they backfire more often than they succeed. I've almost never lost all the weight by the deadline, and even when I came very, very close it felt more like failure than success. Instead of celebrating the success I did have, I lamented falling short. 80% success wasn't nearly as important as the 20% failure.

I think it's far more reasonable, to set health goals (what you are willing to DO) and see the weight loss as reward for your success - not the success itself.

You might lose 100 lbs in 6 months, or you might lose less - but it will be 100% success either way.

Last edited by kaplods; 03-08-2010 at 11:11 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 11:21 PM   #8  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

I think that trying to lose x amount of lbs. by x date is a recipe for disappointment. Sure, it's good to have goals but this kind of a goal is extremely ambitious. Sure, it's possible, but I really believe in trying to be kind to yourself and learning through the journey. I think if you make changes in your life that you can live with forever, you'll be much more likely to keep the weight off. So many people lose and gain and do it all over again because they expect the weight to melt off...but there are setbacks, plateau's, etc.... and none of us really know how long it will take...we're all so different. I think you could aim for that kind of loss or you could aim for the life changes that kaplods suggested. Either way, I wish you all the best in this journey.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 12:12 AM   #9  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I too think 100 lbs is a tad on the high side.

What kind of plan will you be following? Have you thought it through? Mapped it out? What's your plan of action? How are you going to tackle this?

The most you can do is stick to your (healthy) plan faithfully and whatever weight you lose - you lose. Each and every day you stick to that plan of yours (tweaking as need be of course) is a day closer to fulfilling your dreams. And if you fall short by some pounds, so be it. You'll be well on your way. The only way you can't get to your goals is if you STOP before you get there. Take as much time as you need. It's incredibly worth it. Losing weight and lots of it is a doable thing for anyone and every one - yourself included. The sooner you start, the sooner you CAN and WILL make it happen.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 02:22 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 240/ticker/180

Height: 5'8"

I am going to agree with most on here...don't set a date. But keep in mind 6 months is a long time, if you start exercising and watching what you eat, you WILL be healthier for your birthday, and THAT is something to have as a goal. :-) Good luck!!
innae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 09:47 AM   #11  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

Personally, I never set any goals of weight loss by a specific date. Actually, I sort of did it once, when we had a challenge here on 3FC but at that time, I was well on my way so I knew I would accomplish it by that date, but it was a very small weight loss.

I would be worried - in my own case - that if I slip and start realizing that the goal is unachievable by the given date I might give up altogether. But that's just me.
Perhaps this type of a goal works for you, but I would shoot for a much smaller amount, perhaps 50 lbs. THat is definitely doable and it would be much healthier for you as well.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 10:04 AM   #12  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

You know what I think you should do? I think you should come up with a meal plan and an exercise routine and decide here and now in front of all of us to commit to it for six months and see where you are by your birthday. No excuses, you're in it for six months! I bet you'll be amazed where you'll end up.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 10:22 AM   #13  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

I agree that 100 pounds in 6 months seems improbable and that you might be setting yourself up for disappointment which can lead to you quitting. As the other said, come up with a healthy plan and stick to it like glue and in six months you will have lost a large amount of weight, even if not 100 pounds. What a great birthday present to give yourself!
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 10:34 AM   #14  
Age 53

S/C/G: 265/ticker/165

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliana View Post
You know what I think you should do? I think you should come up with a meal plan and an exercise routine and decide here and now in front of all of us to commit to it for six months and see where you are by your birthday. No excuses, you're in it for six months! I bet you'll be amazed where you'll end up.

I agree with this. The only date based goals I'm comfortable with are those based on things I can control (such as meal plan and exercise amounts), which would be my own behaviours. Sadly I can't "control" what the scale is going to say on a given date. Have learned that lesson the hard way many, many times.
caryesings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 10:43 AM   #15  
Counting away!

S/C/G: 217/211/122

Height: 5'3

AND to add to what everyone else has suggested:

If you actually only lose two pounds a week, in 6 months...will you be disappointed with a 48 lb loss? I think not! Its win/win.
parkedout is offline   Reply With Quote