Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-28-2010, 06:33 AM   #1  
Loving Life!

S/C/G: 230/220/120

Height: 5'0"

Default Your favourite treats and how you eat them?

What are some of your favourite treats, and how do you fit them (or substitute for them) into your diet?

One of my favourite treats is ice cream. The other day I was making a smoothie (usually fat free yogurt, skim milk, frozen fruit). I forgot to add the milk at first, and it blended up really thick. Before adding the milk, I tried it and it was a very similar consistency to frozen yogurt, so I dumped it in a bowl and ate it with a spoon. I got the ice cream experience without all the calories
MakingSkinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 06:58 AM   #2  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Ice cream is one of my all time favorites, therefore I need to avoid it like the plague .

I've made your concoction several times, in fact I've even served it for company.

I love SF/FF yogurt, partially frozen (about 60 minutes in the freezer) with 1/4 cup of Fiber One Cereal mixed in (after it's out of the freezer). I LOVE it and look forward to it. I eat up to 3 of those a day.

I've also rethought what a treat is. To me an egg white omlette with sauteed peppers, mushrooms, spinach and grilled grape tomatoes is heavenly.

As is a veggie platter with peach/mango salsa.

Ditto the enormous veggie/fruit laden salad I eat most days of the week.

I was just going to write a bunch more stuff, then realized that the truth is just about every thing I eat I consider a *treat* of sorts, that's just how much I enjoy what I'm eating now. Now that I'm not eating everything in sight, and am very choosy and particular with my calories, I THOROUGHLY enjoy the healthy, nutritious foods that I eat. Upon (mostly) giving up the junk food, my tastebuds have woken up to and I appreciate wholesome foods, which was a bonus I never would have imagined to be.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 08:23 AM   #3  
One step at a time

S/C/G: 183/136.2/125-130

Height: 5'7

I make smoothies with 1/2 cup low fat vanilla yogurt, 1/2 cup unsweetened orange juice, 1/4 cup frozen blueberries, 1 banana, and ice. It's 250 calories. Sometimes I add or subtract some things depending on how much I want it and how much I've eaten for the rest of the day. It takes a long time to eat and fills me up, definitely satisfying.

Sometimes I'll have chocolate milk if I really need a chocolate fill.

Oh, 1/2 cup fiber one cereal, 1/2 cup lowfat strawberry yogurt, and a squirt of chocolate sauce makes the whole thing chocolatey strawberry-ish. And it's about 170 cal.
mkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 08:27 AM   #4  

I make fruit smoothies, 1 cup apple juice, 6 oz frozen berries (strawberries, blueberries, raspberries), 180 calories. They are awesome!
JackiG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 08:46 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 84.7 kg/66.5kg/66.5kg

Height: 5'6''

my treat is pizza!!!

and how i have changed it around is: 1 wholewheat pitta bread, opened into two slices, one slice of ham over them, 1 chopped tomato, cheese (weighed, usually 30g of cheddar), in the oven for 5 minutes and voila!!

two healthy pizza slices!

Last edited by grrrkgrrrl; 02-28-2010 at 08:48 AM.
grrrkgrrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 08:50 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 202/150/145

Height: 5'7"

I love meringues and my local supermarket sells packs of strawberry ones that are 19 calories each, I break up a couple on partially frozen yoghurt or 40 calorie ice cream.

I keep meaning to make my own, has anyone ever made meringues with Splenda rather than sugar?
Trudiha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 09:34 AM   #7  
Melissa

S/C/G: TBA/TBA/165

Height: 5'7''

Yoplait Whips frozen...YUM! Calms my icecream fascination every time! The raspberry one is my fave but the strawberry one is pretty dreamy too!! 140 calories, they come in the perfect little serving size for me and only $.50
Hun.e.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 09:51 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 160/116/110

Height: 5' 4"

I used to eat Blue-Bunny Fat-Free Sugar Free ice creams when I was in the States. They have variety of flavors. My favorite was Caramel Toffee Crunch yummmm.
Here's the link : http://www.bluebunny.com/Products/Li...Added_Fat_Free
dietnlose? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 03:23 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 255/See Tracker/135

Height: 5'6"

Pizza! Target sells this Chef Boyardee Cheese Pizza Kit. It comes with the dough mix, sauce and cheese and you make it yourself. They suggest one medium pan for the pizza, but I have two small pizza pans. I make two pizzas and usually add a few slices of turkey pepperoni. I eat one pizza for dinner and save the second for lunch the next day.

And that one small pizza that tastes exactly like regular pizza and not subsitute pizza, with added pepperoni, is about 570 calories. It totally fits into my calorie budget, and I've had it a bunch of times since starting this weight loss journey.
goldferris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 04:07 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 170/159/135

Height: 5'4"

I have to have my chocolate EVERY DAY. For dessert, I eat a sugar free and fat free fudge bar. Very satisfying mmmmmmmm.

Sharon

artic123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 04:16 PM   #11  

S/C/G: HW:300 Pregnancy: 160/167/185

Height: 5'5"

I have a terrible sweet tooth, which I indulge by eating lots of artificial sweeteners. I know that they mess with some people's blood sugar, but they don't with me, so I don't worry about it.

My favorite thing to do lately is to eat frozen strawberries, half-thawed, with splenda on them. I pack a baggie full in my lunch every day and they serve as my ice pack--by noon they are just right and everything else is still cold.
Shmead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 01:20 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 198.6/148/120

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
I keep meaning to make my own, has anyone ever made meringues with Splenda rather than sugar?
I had, but you can find several recipes to make meringues and the recipe that I used with Splenda has lemon juice as one of its ingredients and its help to prevent the extra sweetness that some recipes get when we change sugar for Splenda.
aluxa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 02:29 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 164/128.5/125

Height: 5'3'

Ice cream freak here. I gained most of the weight largely due to no longer being able to eat massive amounts of ice cream w/out gaining any weight. (Damn slowing metabolism!)

I tried ALL the lower fat/lower cal ice creams out there and Skinny Cow is the only one that is evenly mildly palateable to me. Particularly the fudge cones, and the chocolate ice cream sandwiches. The cones are 150 calories each, and I eat one every other night. Much better than the couple of years where I was eating TWO fat and sugar filled Dove ice cream bars (at 10pm at night, no less. Ugh! I can't *imagine* why I gained over 30lbs....lol)
littlemissbliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 05:37 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 200/?/155 High:254

Height: 5'5"

Pizza for me too! I make my own with low cal flatbread (or pita bread if I don't have the flatbread) I use fresh basil and garlic on the crust (usually I make it a "white" pizza without any tomato sauce) then top with low fat cheese and any veggies I happen to have on hand. As for meat I'll use deli ham or a tiny bit of prosciutto and it's delicious!

My other food that I treat myself to is microwave popcorn! I buy the mini bags and sprinkle it with Lawry's Seasoned Salt because that always makes it taste way buttery for some reason!

If I have a hankering for something sweet I grab a yogurt, my favorite is lemon because it makes me think I'm eating a lemon bar (one of my fave desserts) and just today I tried Dannon Light 'n Fit toasted coconut and it was soooooo good! Unfortunately that one says "limited time only" on it
Bombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 05:52 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 250/237/140

Height: 5'7

I like making fruit salsa. I usually just use apples, kiwi, pineapple, strawberries, etc etc...you can make it to taste. Use the food processor to chop the fruit real small. Mix all together into a bowl.
I then buy the whole wheat tortilla shells (the ones for tacos) and then i slice them into little triangles sprinkle a little cinnamon on them and bake for a few minutes until crispy. It is a nice healthy sweet treat and you can eat the left overs for a day or two. I am made this for company before and everyone has loved it.
smccaleb06 is offline   Reply With Quote