Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-14-2010, 10:46 AM   #1  
Heather

S/C/G: 241/213/170

Height: 5' 9"

Angry Hate Working Out

I have been counting calories for almost a week now. And I know you need to burn more calories than you take in. BUT I hate working out...i hate going to the gym. I just don't like to "exercise". So I take the stairs, I park farther from the door, I dance (at home when alone ) but is this all really enough? Maybe when after I have lost some weight I won't "hate" going to the gym so much. (sorry i am rambling) Any suggestions on other ways to burn up those calories???
hloehr73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 10:51 AM   #2  
love it or lose it

S/C/G: 210/209/150

Height: 5'2"

Good question! I hate working out too.. I actually loathe it. I need to start making myself at least 30 minutes 4 or 5 times a week. We have a treadclimber and I hate using that.

I think the fact that bothers me the most about it is giving up my free time when I get home from work. I would rather watch TV sitting on my behind after teaching middle school kids all day.

I like to dance around myself, but I don't think I burn enough calories doing just that. Maybe if you danced for a long period of time? I would love to take dance classes, but I think I would just embarass myself. LOL
shortandfluffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 10:55 AM   #3  
Mary

S/C/G: 225/190/125

Height: 5'2" Age: 22

You don't have to go to a gym to workout. You could walk, that's how I lost the first 30lbs. You can lose weight without working out and just eating right, but then you could lose muscle mass and not be tone when you reach the end of your journey, so figure out something you do like to do!
platformnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 10:56 AM   #4  
Heather

I am hoping the hubs will let me get a treadmill here soon. He never would in the past. He said what do we need that for when we have a closet to hang clothes in. (implying it would just hold clothes) hes such a smart ***! But I honestly think I would use it now. I did join a gym about a year ago and even got a trainer that was awesome. Went regularly for about a month and then just stopped going. I hated it!!
Old 01-14-2010, 10:58 AM   #5  
Mary

S/C/G: 225/190/125

Height: 5'2" Age: 22

Do you live near a park or in a neighborhood? I like taking my dog out for long walks around my neighborhood. ExerciseTV is also available On Demand and online (click the link) and you can use Leslie Sansone's Walk At Home Program, it's great!
platformnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 11:08 AM   #6  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

Exercise will eventually become your friend I think. It makes you feel good, builds muscle, lets you eat a little more, just overall makes a person feel better, but hey, go easy on yourself. You are just starting out, no need to go from 0-90 in a week. Get your food plan ingrained in you head, make sure you could do it in your sleep, and then, start something you enjoy. Living where you do, outdoor activities, (except scooping snow) are probably out for now, but come spring, you'll be well on your way to start some great excercise. No need to spend money...(if you don't want to!) I lost 190 pounds by mowing, walking, hoeing, pulling weeds, vacuuming, scrubbing, cutting down trees...

For *ME*, every time I tried to do everything thing all at once...I got burned out quickly and failed. When I realized that I had the rest of my life to get good at being healthy it all came together.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 11:11 AM   #7  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I personally feel that you should try to find exercise you enjoy. I love weight lifting so I tend to focus on that. I also do mix in things I don't enjoy as much just for variety but I do try to find ways to enjoy them. Right now, I'm actually doing exercise DVDs and I found a set I really like so I think it is a good fit. Once the weather warms up a little bit, we'll go walking/hiking more outside and once it starts getting closer to summer, I'll start using my trike outside. If I lose enough weight by summer, I'll also enroll in rock climbing classes.

I also do karate at least one day per week.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 11:13 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 250/173.6/145

Height: 5'7"

Exercise doesn't just mean going to a gym and getting on a cardio machine for 45 minutes.

Find something you enjoy. Take a class, start martial arts, join a sports league of something you'd like to play, walk your neighborhood.

Also, try to make it fit into your normal, every day routine - just like brushing your teeth. Wake up 30 minutes early and get it over with each day. Or, like me, hit the gym on the way home from work. I know if I get home from work I will not leave the house again to go to they gym so I go straight there from my office.

So just try some different things and find what works for you.
MotoMichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 11:21 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 230/229/200

Height: 5'3

I hate to workout too. I lost my first 50# by cutting calories and increasing my range of daily activities. I looked for every oportunity to move more. I wallpapered my living room, I went up and down my stairs (instead of asking someone in the house to do it), I gardened, I helped my husband plant a couple of trees, I walked the neighborhood handing out flyers. Really, on a daily basis I joined in others activities, asking them if I could help them out. I also did things like parking further away, carrying several loads up and down the stairs (instead of one load), etc.

I think the most important thing is to move more. As you lose the wt you will become more energetic and want to do more. At the end of December I joined a water aerobics class. I am thinking in about 3 months I want to learn how to swim. I like being in the water and the instructor really knows her stuff. I feel great while I'm doing it and I feel great when I'm done. I look forward to going! It is a workout but it isn't something I hate! So, therefor it doesn't feel like exercise--it's fun time in the pool!

Instead of thinking of exercise, try to think of something that you truly enjoy doing. Do you like to bowl? Swim? Hike? Golf? Play Wii sports edition? Think of something that the whole family enjoys doing, or something you might enjoy doing with a girlfriend, husband, family member.

Really, just move more. I have no data to back me up on this but I will say that I've heard here that it's 80% what we eat and 20% exercise. Even Jillian Michaels (on the Joy Behar show last night) said what we eat had a bigger effect on weight loss than exercise.

In no way am I promoting an inactive lifestyle. I just think we need to sometimes think outside the box and find some way of moving more. It's just possible for some, that a formal exercise program just isn't something we're going to stick with. But, maybe ballroom dance lessons on Friday with our hubby, touch foot ball on Sunday with the family and bowling every Tuesday night would work! Or something like that....
ANewCreation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 11:23 AM   #10  
Heather

Thank you for all your advice. Once spring/summer hits it will be a lot easier. We do a lot of camping and usually get plenty of exercise then. I do need to remember that I am just starting out and need to take it one day at a time.
Old 01-14-2010, 11:24 AM   #11  

I don't like it, either. It's very painful for me. I'm very inspired by mark on marksdailyapple.com. He's in his 50s and has a great physique. He recommends moving like cave men did. Lots of slow moving, like walking and hiking. Some heavy lifting and sprints once in a while. You don't have to be in a gym every day. When the weather warms up, I'll start wearing my pedometer more and challenge myself to get more and more steps. Right now, I jog on a mini trampoline and do squats and pushups or other things that I can do indoors.
wendyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 11:34 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 341/209.1/160

Height: 5'8"

I bought a pedometer because I hate going to the gym. So I started wearing it every day and then I found a website called walkertracker where you could put your steps in..then my mom joined so we kinda compete against each other. I hate the gym too and this was one of the only things I enjoyed doing. Before I knew it, I was finding ways to get extra steps in and although it may not be as rigorous as the gym, it certainly was some exercise.
kerbear879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 11:45 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 180/140/120

Height: 5'2"

WALK WALK WALK! Stairs are great as well like you said you take...keep it up! Every calorie counts in and out. I definitely don't get up every morning dying to push myself and break a sweat...sometimes I try to leave earlier than I plan...but I remember how great I feel after I push myself and really know I gave it my all...or at least enough for a maintainable lifestyle. If you do not want to hit the gym yet, just be sure to keep out and about instead of on the computer (I have that problem!). Even if you just go to the gym and cycle in front of the tv for an hour it would be better than doing that at home on the couch...you know? any little thing that you can incorporate in will start getting your body burning.
charlottekelsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 11:53 AM   #14  

You really need a minimum of 30 minutes of exercise at least 6 days a week for health, an hour for weight loss. If you don't exercise while losing weight, you lose muscle along with fat and that is not a good thing. Your heart is a muscle!
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 12:07 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 255/144 and maintaining

Height: 5'9

I looove working out! It makes me feel SO good. I could watch tv for an hour instead, but when I do that I just feel lazy. After working out for an hour, however, I feel alive, healthy, and confident.

Since starting my journey, I have not set foot in a gym. In previous attempts I would start going to the gym 3 or 4 times a week, then I'd make excuses until I would stop going all together. For *me* the gym thing just doesn't work out. I find it boring to do the elliptical for an hour. Also, I hated the idea of driving to the gym, as ridiculous as that sounds. I would feel motivated to work out, and by the time I was halfway there, I would talk myself out of it.

Since I started September 1st, I have worked out for at least 1 hour every single day. I have a huge (and growing) collection of workout dvds, I do the on demand workouts since we just FINALLY got cable (haven't had it in 6 yrs), I do some weight training with dumbbells and resistance bands, and I do running/walking outside and other outdoor activities (snowshoeing etc).

For me, it helps to have a goal. My goal is 1 hr a day, for you it could be 30 min 4 times a week. Many people will say "find something you love." However, not everyone loves working out. I think you should find something that you don't hate. If you're ok with a little running, try the couch to 5k program. If you enjoy dancing, as you've mentioned, get a great dance dvd!

Exercise is really important for health, and for your appearance. Assuming these are two factors that have made you decide to lose weight, I would say exercise should be your second priority, right behind eating well. Good luck, just get out there and try something, don't make excuses about waiting until the time is right (I've been there/done that! )

Last edited by jkinboston89; 01-14-2010 at 12:20 PM.
jkinboston89 is offline   Reply With Quote