Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-08-2010, 09:40 AM   #1  
Mom of 4

S/C/G: 276/230/175

Height: 5'2"

Cool Yes I know I'm Silly But Does Anyone Else....

I wasnt sure where to post this, didnt want to post in the maintainers because even though I have reached my goal I feel I want to go a little bit further and have not maintained my goal for very long so I decided I would put this here.

I reached my goal of of losing 101 pounds this past summer and have gone 9 pounds past that for a total of 110. Have been wearing a size 10 for a little while now but I had been noticing that my size 10's were gettin baggy and I kept complaining to friends that I couldnt keep them up. One lady I work with kept telling me to try size 8, but I was so scared and couldnt do it. Not long ago I went shopping with my daughter, every time I tried on jeans I grabbed a size 10, kept complaining to my daughter about how they wouldnt fit. While I was in the dressing room she brought me a pair and told me to try them, they fit......she had brought me the 8's. If it hadnt been for her I dont think I would have tried them on.

This isnt the first time I have done this, every time I go down a size I am so scared to try on something smaller. Does anyone else do this? Is anyone else afraid to try on a smaller size?
RRVMMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 09:54 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I wasn't scared. I just couldn't believe it. I bought a pair of size 10'S and bragged about it until someone pointed out that they were too big. I just couldn't believe I could wear size 8. Now I wear size 6.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 10:28 AM   #3  
Waddle fast Flap hard FLY

S/C/G: Top 272~restart 255

Height: 5'7

Rrvmmm, Congrats on exceeding your goal! I think that it doesn't occur to me to try a smaller size. I'm very used to pants not fitting well, so I would try a different brand/pair not thinking I could try going down a size.
patchworkpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 10:42 AM   #4  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Wow, good for you! What an amazing accomplishment! I hope you feel really, really good about yourself!

I do have the same fear. It's the fear of rejection. I'm afraid if the smaller size doesn't fit I'll be crushed. I try to take the approach of, well we'll just try them to see. I also have several of the next size down in my closet and I try them on every five pounds or so. Ok...so I try them on DAILY! They're going to fit one of these days, right? But it's different in a store somehow.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 10:45 AM   #5  
Losing weight since 2009

S/C/G: 310/138/132

Height: 5'7

Congrats on reaching your goal!!!!! You're not silly, or if you are then I am too because I'm terrified trying on smaller sizes. Part of me is so used to being huge and always having to go up in sizes that going down seems impossible. I don't want to try on smaller sizes because I'm scared to be disappointed even when my current clothes are too freakin' huge. I went from wearing a size 18 directly to 14 because I avoided the dressing room, lol. I think part of the problem (at least for me) is the brain hasn't caught up with the weight loss. Hopefully once you get used to having a smaller body it will get better.
Gracie789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 10:46 AM   #6  
Paleo-ish Girl

S/C/G: 255.5/174/160

Height: 5'6"

Good going!

I have the same thing. I'm always afraid of trying on a 14 instead of a 16. My 16s are too big, but the 14s are usually too small.

It's the really nasty thing about sizes. The difference between larger sizes is huge (1.5 to 2.5 inches) but between smaller sizes is much lower (usually .5 to 1 inch). We get so used to needing the big difference, that the smaller ones are terrifying.
Altari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 01:18 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 205/172/125

Height: 5'1

Not scared, but in disbelief! And I often negate my small sizes by saying to myself... "well, this store makes things bigger, so that's why I can wear this size". It's not until I can fit into that size at several different stores that I truly believe it!
kellost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 02:05 PM   #8  
If you wanna Rock It . .

S/C/G: 248/164*low*/145

Height: 5'4"

Totally with you on being scared to try on . . . . I got over that when my friend made me try on some clothes in a 'regular' store which I couldn't fit even the biggest sizes before. Of course I thought "Great, now I can feel like complete crap when this doesn't fit and make her feel like crap for bringing me in here"
Thing was, the stuff she gave me fit . . . and it wasn't the largest size in the store either. I think I stood in the change room a good 5 minutes in complete disbelief before I walked out.
Great feeling though isn't it?
Coondocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 09:29 AM   #9  

Height: 5'3"

I do the same thing! I get nervous with success, because I am afraid to lose it. Weird I know...
beautybooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 11:07 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 290/170/170

Yes, I can identify of being scared of smaller sizes. For me it was buying tops in a small. I thought there's no way I could be decribed as small. What finally did it for me was when I was buying a supposedly tight fitting sports top, chosing a medium and it being 4 inches too large on the chest. I exchanged it for the small which fit fine and have bought a couple of other smalls since, plus dresses in a UK12 (US8).

I too think its the worry of finding things are too tight after all I have loads of past experience of this happening.

Kitty
KforKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 12:43 PM   #11  

I'm the opposite. I like to go to stores and try on clothes that are maybe a smaller size, just to see how far I've come and how far I've yet to go! Sometimes a tape measurer and a scale just don't give me the "reality" picture I need. But if I can see a pair of pants, I know what size I really am / really want to be!
nitestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 02:53 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 281/269.2/180

Height: 5'6''

Congrats! I haven't gone down in sizes yet but I did go and get a size 16 dress for motivation, I know that I will be scared to try it on when I actually get down to that size.
myweightlosstrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 04:06 AM   #13  
banned

S/C/G: 190/114/125

Height: 5'3"

LOL, I am just the opposite. I will try on the smallest size I can possibly squeeze my butt into. Even if its tight, if I could get it on..................I was elated!!
TamiL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 05:47 PM   #14  
Its time to go!

S/C/G: 217/217/160

Height: 5'8"

Default yes,

I have been on both sides of the scale on that topic. Heck I'm even afraid to try on old clothes at home. Disapointment over not fitting I a certain size is a big pill to swallow.
aria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 08:27 PM   #15  

Height: 5' 7'

Congrats!!! I think numbers are scary.

I have a fear of onederland. So when I get closer I will have to stop weighing myself. That makes no sense!

You wear your skinny jeans with pride!
HocusPocus is offline   Reply With Quote