Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-28-2009, 10:00 AM   #16  
Rockin Socks since 1984

S/C/G: 205/179/155

Height: 5'3.5

my old roomate used to get Self and i loved it. I'm going to subscribe to Shape and Self for this year because I love them both...and see how I like them at the end of the year.

As with all magazines, just be careful. As an advertising major when I did my undergrad, I did a project about women's self-image and magazines. It said on average that women felt 50% less confident about their self image after reading beauty magazines, and though they were more motivated, 40% less confident after reading health magazines...so be sure you're getting motivated for the right reasons, not because it makes you feel bad about yourself! We want our bodies AND our spirits to be healthy and happy
amyleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 10:12 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 200/?/155 High:254

Height: 5'5"

I had a subscription to Women's Health and often picked up the others (Shape, Self, Fitness) at the grocery store. I'm a TOTAL magazine junkie......but honestly I've gotten to the point where I'm sick of them all. They ALL have the same articles and give the same information. I'm not learning a thing anymore. And I'll also say this: I save all of my magazines and then go through them periodically. I kept noticing the same theme on the covers so I decided to actually count them out and I found that over 3/4 of the magazines had a "flat belly" article advertised on the cover. Then I started looking at other topic themes and found that it wasn't just in my head, they really did have all the same info. Bah!

I no longer get women's fitness but I'm thinking of ordering a subscription to Men's Fitness as I think it seems way more helpful than it's counterpart.
Bombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 03:01 PM   #18  
Carpe diem

S/C/G: 105/78.9/65

Height: 5'5.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomato View Post
And regarding Men's Health and the recipes - that's true! Right now, I have two issues, the one with Jason What'shisname on the cover and the UK edition with [drool] Gerard Butler [/drool] - they both have very nice recipes (I think the latter has more) and I already made use of one for dinner on Sunday (very low on carbs, fat and clean-up - gotta love that).
I agree that Gerard Butler has VERY nice recipes. And by "recipes", I mean "bum I want to squeeze". (Okay, enough perving on Gerry).

Over the years that DH bought Men's Health, I've cut out the recipes from the old mags (over 3 years) and stuck them in a recipe book. I've made a few of them so far and they've all been extremely yummy.
Mollz is offline   Reply With Quote