Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-14-2009, 01:10 AM   #1  
One step at a time

S/C/G: 183/136.2/125-130

Height: 5'7

Default Starting to become a lifestyle :)

I'm over a month into my lifestyle revamp. I don't want to call it a diet, because to me, diet is something that is temporary. Go on a diet until you reach desired results, then continue life as normal. Well normal life for me was extremely unhealthy, and I do NOT want to return to it.

I'm not following a particular diet, I suppose I calorie count to an extent, but I'm not very strict about it. I just eat a very balanced diet. I have planned out enough days and meals to intuitively know how many veggies, how many glasses of milk, how much lean meat, how many carbs, etc. I still record it, but it's becoming normal for me to eat like this. Instead of feeling like I'm starving after every little 300 calorie meal, I feel satisfied. I enjoy my fruit smoothies like I used to enjoy Wendy's Frosties. I'm having fun cooking my little meals instead of making a box of mac and cheese every night. I'm proud of what I put in my grocery cart...if people looked at what I was buying, they would think "she's a healthy person." Exercise isn't something I dread, it's both routine and enjoyable.

It's encouraging to me that I can live like this. I didn't want to just lose weight, I wanted to become a health nut that used to annoy me but who I was jealous of at the same time. One of those people that is happy eating a salad and that runs before work. All my life I wanted to live exactly how I'm living right now.

Anyways, this just occurred to me. My go-me thought of the day. Dieting isn't for me. I tried a dozen different diets and failed within the first 3 days. But for some reason, I've taken to this total healthy lifestyle thing like a fish takes to water.

Anybody else finding that living healthier is getting easier?
mkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 01:49 AM   #2  
Jess is losing it!

S/C/G: 189/159/129

Height: 5'3"

I totally know what you mean!! Especially the part where I'm proud of what I buy at the grocery store, and I enjoy cooking healthy meals (instead of mac n cheese - used to make that crap alllll the time) I like to think about it as a complete turn around for a better me. And I refuse to call it a diet. When I used to "go on a diet", I would put so much pressure on myself. All I was really doing was setting myself up for failure. Now I think of it as, like you said, a new healthy lifestyle. Just changing the way I think about it is more positive and I feel like its possible to succeed
jazzang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 01:53 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 175/ticker/130

Height: 5'6

I'm not too far into my lifestyle change (I've only been at this since October!) but I, too, have really noticed that altering my life is becoming easier with each day. I still struggle with healthy food choices because I am a chocolate addict AND an in-dorm college student. However, 'making' myself go exercise is a breeze. I enjoy scheduling and completing each exercise session. I think, eventually, I will enjoy preparing small healthy meals, as well. Unfortunately, however, I've a whole year before I'll have my own kitchen again.

I'm glad things are going so smoothly for you! Good luck in the days too come and GOOD JOB!
Shifterred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 05:23 AM   #4  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkendrick View Post

I'm proud of what I put in my grocery cart...if people looked at what I was buying, they would think "she's a healthy person." Exercise isn't something I dread, it's both routine and enjoyable.

It's encouraging to me that I can live like this. I didn't want to just lose weight, I wanted to become a health nut that used to annoy me but who I was jealous of at the same time. One of those people that is happy eating a salad and that runs before work. All my life I wanted to live exactly how I'm living right now.

Anyways, this just occurred to me. My go-me thought of the day. Dieting isn't for me. I tried a dozen different diets and failed within the first 3 days. But for some reason, I've taken to this total healthy lifestyle thing like a fish takes to water.

Anybody else finding that living healthier is getting easier?
I have had these SAME EXACT feelings.

I remember envying some, well it was really only 2 of my friends, who were so health conscious. You could tell they really put thought and effort into how they ate/cooked/exercised. I used to think, "why can't I be like that?"

And now I am!!! But the thing is I always COULD have been. If I wanted to BE it so badly all I had to do was BE it. Like my signature says - "the only thing standing between what you are and what you want to be is what you DO." Should have figured that one out decades ago.

I too am thoroughly proud of my grocery cart and my food choices and how I cook for my family. Just eating this way, never mind the wonderful over the top benefits, gives me such a sense of pride and accomplishment. I get the biggest thrill from it. It actually brings me a sense of peace and calm.

You likened it to how a fish takes to water, I like that. I've said MANY times, it's like I've found a whole new religion. Which is why I always say this life style is no burden, it's a joy and a blessing.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 11:10 AM   #5  
poco a poco

S/C/G: 246/166.5/158

Height: 5'5"

I changed my eating and exercise habits so gradually that it has taken 3 and a half years to get to where I am but I have never felt like I was holding on by the skin of my teeth.

Before when I tried to "go on a diet" I lasted about 3 and a half weeks.

So, yeah, there must be something to it.
Nada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 11:53 AM   #6  
Finding my wings...

S/C/G: 256/see ticker/156

Height: 5'2 and a freakin' HALF!

I know exactly what you mean! I get that proud, tingly feeling when I look in my grocery cart as well.....! The stuff in there I would have died from the disbelief years ago if I'd seen it in my cart, THAT'S for sure.

The funny thing is.... I've only been doing this for seven months, but when I think if it's possible for me to slide back to that other way I used to be, used to eat.... I just know I couldn't. Not really. I know way, way, WAY too much now..... I think the fat glasses have been ripped off my eyes for good!
starfishkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 01:06 PM   #7  
I ♥ Life!

S/C/G: 231/221/150

Height: 5'3"

I totally agree! I'm about a month in, and I'm really enjoying this whole process. I love logging in my calories each day, and I love the feeling I get after working out--endorphins are the best! I'm not depressed anymore, and I have a lot more energy. Even my skin is clearer! I can see myself living this way for the rest of my life, I don't want to go back to the old me at all!

Even through the days that I'm not AS into it, I stick with it, and feel proud that I did.
Dulce Vida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 06:32 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 205/172/125

Height: 5'1

Yep, the living healthier thing is getting easier for me too. I've come to just expect this new behavior of myself....eating healthier, exercising, better choices at restaurants. I've gotten the hang of it, and I keep thinking to myself "I can do this, and it's not that bad after all!" Sure, there are challenges, but I'm not going to be afraid of failing anymore. I'm not going to give up when I make a bad choice. I just stick with it now, where before I would have totally quit and gone back to terrible eating choices! This time, I really believe in myself. I believe I can conquer this thing, and I like the way being thinner feels. I am so much happier and I wish I would have done this years ago. So much wasted time feeling miserable with myself.
kellost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 12:13 AM   #9  
Mindful Eater

S/C/G: 165/156/145

Height: 5'8"

I only started on Thanksgiving. I agree, the habits are forming and things are becoming easier. Today I noticed myself automatically stopping partway through dinner and deciding that I was full and the food was no longer satisfying.

I have also noticed that the good quality foods tend to take longer to eat and also satisfy me longer than junk foods.
Katterina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 12:20 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 285/180/160

Height: 5'9"

I started noticing this about myself as well. Not only am I hyper-aware of how much I eat while dieting vs. how much I could potentially eat, my body hasn't reacted well to the few times I have gone off-plan.
I feel like I'm slowly becomming the person that I always wanted to be.
duckyyellowfeet is offline   Reply With Quote