Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-18-2009, 12:00 PM   #16  

I think eggs and milk should be fine - I was drinking vanilla soy milk religiously until I realized it was packed with sugar. The light and plain varieties aren't so bad, but if you like skim milk I don't see a reason to make the switch.

Egg substitutes freak me out a bit so I guess I'm biased

Skippy Natural peanut butter is my favorite because it has the same lovely consistency as processed sugary peanut butter, and the oil doesn't separate in the jar.

And seriously - everyone knows there is really no substitute for bacon. I eat soy bacon and sausage, but the amount of salt in those products is probably just as bad.

Good luck!
twinklebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 12:04 PM   #17  
Ija
Extra gluten

S/C/G: 286/135/135

I've become a pretty big fan of having the "real" thing, especially with eggs, cheese, milk, nut butter and good artisan breads. I have to admit, though, Kashi cereals are pretty amazing, and Fage Greek yogurt can be a good substitute for sour cream. Joseph's pitas are wonderful, too. Also, I second Kaplods on using really good, flavorful cheeses. I find that a little goat cheese or a rich, imported Feta can go a long way.

Last edited by Ija; 11-18-2009 at 12:05 PM.
Ija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 12:32 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 160/160/115

Height: 5'2"

Cows Milk--->soy milk
regular cheese--->laughing cow cheese
real eggs--->egg substitute (what brand should i get?)

I use real milk, eggs, and cheese. Those aren't things that worry me.

cereal--->(what's a tasty yet healthy cereal?)
I like Fiber One or All Bran... but they're too pricey for me right now, so I buy store-brand bran flakes.

C&H sugar--->(what the #$^# replaces sugar lol?)

There's always substitutes... sucralose products like splenda, aspartame products like equal or anything with nutra-sweet, stevia products like Truvia. I do drink diet soda, and sometimes use splenda in my coffee, but otherwise, I use sugar (or honey, or maple syrup, or brown sugar, etc).

Sara Lees Whole Wheat Bread--->(what's a healthier brand?)
My favorite is Arnold Light Whole Wheat bread... 40 calories a slice and no high fructose corn syrup!

Jif Peanut Butter--->????
Natural peanut butter - the stuff that's made from just peanuts. I've tried to eat it but just can't stand it... so I buy "Simply Jif" which just has slightly less salt and sugar.

Tropical Jelly--->????
I have no idea what this is, lol.

Honey--->(I heard of Really Raw Honey...I'm gonna try it)

Nothing unhealthy about honey except the calories.

sour cream--->???
Plain yogurt! It sounds weird, but it works in most recipes. You can find nonfat or lowfat.

Philidelphia cream cheese--->???
Light, or the Neufatchel (1/3 less fat)

bacon--->(omg what replaces delicious bacon?)

In my mind, nothing replaces bacon. They make turkey bacon, but I'd rather just use less of the real thing.

Lawrys Meat Seasoning Salt--->???
If you have no medical reason to watch your sodium, you don't need to worry about it. I'm not sure what's in that stuff, but if you can figure it out, you could just use the herbs and spices to get the right flavor without the sodium.
mayness is offline   Reply With Quote