Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-17-2009, 12:31 PM   #1  

Default Gaining weight, feeling bad.

So I've been gone for maybe 6 months. I had lost 55 lbs and I was doing really well. Then a few months ago, I decided to go back on BC pills..I was worried because every other time I've gone on them, I've gained a lot of weight.

So I went on them, and now maybe 3-4 months later I'm 10 lbs heavier. It's noticable. Some of my clothes don't fit as well. My mother is telling me "I'm getting fat again" and don't need a birthday cake this year (birthday is in two weeks). I'm just feeling horrible and depressed about the gain. I weighed myself this morning and I was 168(lowest was 155 in June). I'm upset because I held steady at 156 for months with little to no effort before I started the pills again. I know weight gain happens, but I SO want to get back. Unfortunately, I don't want to stop using the pills either.

I've tried the Yaz and the Tri-Lo-Sprintec...the Tri-Lo made me absolutely ravenous though. Literally three hours after a big meal, I was starving to the point of having hunger-nausea. The Yaz is so expensive.

Thoughts?

Last edited by jhinako; 11-17-2009 at 12:36 PM.
jhinako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 12:36 PM   #2  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Are you eating habits exactly the same? Or have you increased the amount of food that you've been eating since going on the pill? Have you increased your exercise, decreased it or kept it the same? I think you need to look at your habits and see if they've changed at all. Then you can re-assess the situation and make any changes that need to be.

And congratulations on your weight loss thus far! Be proud of yourself and know that you will continue to strive for the very best you.

Last edited by rockinrobin; 11-17-2009 at 12:37 PM.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 12:40 PM   #3  

I really haven't changed much as far as my eating and exercise habits--except I may have eaten more that month I was on the Tri-Lo-Sprintec because I was starving all the time, but I stopped using that several months ago, the weight still appears to be creeping on, the only difference is the pills.
jhinako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 12:51 PM   #4  
Crazy runner

S/C/G: 213/131/maintaining

Height: 5'4.5"

I hear ya on the expensive Yaz part. Thankfully my insurance reimburses prescriptions 100%, otherwise I'd be on the hunt for a less expensive pill.

I'm not too sure what to tell you - I've lost nearly 60 lbs while on Yaz so I can't speak to the weight gain part. It could be partially water weight but after awhile, that should balance out. Also, I notice that the week of my placebo pills, I am noticeably hungrier and have to be mindful about not over eating. Are you writing down your calories and logging everything?
Fat Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 12:52 PM   #5  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Okay then. So it IS time to re-asses. How many calories are you currently eating? How much exercise are you doing? You do want the weight to stop creeping up, don't you, so therefore, short of changing the pill you're on (you could speak with your doctor) you're going to have to change something else.
You just may have to decrease those calories and/or increase that exercise.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 01:23 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 204/see ticker/135

Height: 5 feet 6 inches

Have you already had kids? You don't have to answer that here it's just if you have you could have an IUD put in. They are great birth-control with no or little hormones, decides on the one you pick.
Personally, I don't know a single woman who the pill has not messed up in some way.
Talk to your doctor and see what options there are for you.
Carly Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 01:36 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 204/*ticker*/140

Height: 5'9

I would talk to your doctor about the weight gain, other than that I cant help you much only to say that I am on a generic BC and I am not sure whether or not it has any affect on my weight. I am very carefull about what I eat and I started loosing weight when I was already on the pill so I am not sure. I dont remember gaining when I went on the pill but that was back when I didnt ever weigh myself or even try to eat right. I just try to think of it as just one more weight loss challange that we have to deal with and work even harder on getting those pounds off
CollegeGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 09:06 PM   #8  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

You're smart to look into some options before the weight gain is even higher. I think you should increase your workouts. Also, keep track of your calories. Sometimes, it feels like we only had a little of this and a bit of that, but those can all add up to significant weight gain. If you keep track of calories and you workout more, I don't see how you won't lose the weight, but of course, I'm no doctor.

I highly recommend the IUD also (if you've had all your kids). There are several types of IUD's but I like Mirena. It has a bit of hormone, so you have almost no periods....ultra light....unlike a regular IUD, which causes heavy bleeding, etc. Please talk to your doctor....you shouldn't have to suffer this way. Also, don't let the negative talk from others upset you. You've done this before and you're at a much smaller size now than when you first lost the weight, so you can DEFINITELY DO THIS. However, negative talk and bad feelings will only lead you to overeat or give up and that will make the problem worse in the long run. Treat yourself the way you would a good friend. You would be kind and compassionate, so why not do the same for yourself?
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 02:06 AM   #9  
On my way to Skinny!

S/C/G: SW220/150-160GW

Height: 5'5

I SO agree with you. It seems like *EVERYTIME* I go to birth control pills, I cant lose weight, or it's really hard. The doctor always assures that it has nothing to do with weight loss. But i'm positive it does. When i'm not on the pill I can loose 10lb/month. I have been on my diet and working out since September 22 and I have only lost 10-11lbs. So I think I will be going off them and see what happens.
mateosmama2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 02:13 AM   #10  
sugar is the devil

Sorry to be OT - but I thought you could have IUD before having children? How come you 2 ladies recommend only having an IUD after you've had all the children you wanted?
SweetScrumptious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 07:14 AM   #11  
Here we go again...

S/C/G: 176/ticker/155

Height: 5'5"/ 65 in

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetScrumptious View Post
Sorry to be OT - but I thought you could have IUD before having children? How come you 2 ladies recommend only having an IUD after you've had all the children you wanted?
I looked into getting an IUD when I was looking at BC options a few months ago. For Mirena, you have to have at least one child before getting the IUD because the cervical opening is large enough to allow for the IUD to be inserted. Otherwise, it's an incredibly painful procedure. Also, I think there is a higher risk of the IUD penetrating the uterine wall before kids? I'm not too sure about that one though. I don't know much about the copper T IUD.

To the OP: I'm sorry you're feeling so bad about your weight gain. I am on ortho tricyclen lo and I haven't had any weight gain - I've actually lost weight on this pill. Although now I'm in the 154s, it's very slow even though I'm exercising more than before and eating right. Before, I would lose consistently and quickly til 145 and then slow down (usually, I'd gain it all back). This is the only time it's been this slow at this weight. Have you tried talking to your doctor about alternative pills? It depends on what you're using the pill for and your existing conditions (tendency toward cysts, PCOS, etc). Still, it wouldn't hurt to sit down with doc and explain what's going on with you. In the meantime, up your exercise and eat very clean. Eat lots of veggies (carrot sticks come to mind) that have volume but not many calories. Eat lots of veggie and chicken soup (homemade preferably or with lower sodium). These foods tend to fill you up as well as a large meal without the calorie cost.

Sunnigummi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 08:49 AM   #12  
No description available.

Women can have IUDs if they have not been pregnant. It's just easier to put in if there's been a pregnancy. Depends on the skill level of the person inserting it.

To the OP, talk to your midwife (or doctor). There's too many pill choices out there to be stuck with ones that suck.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 10:02 AM   #13  
Back on Track 2 Healthy

S/C/G: 270/254.4/Healthy

Height: 5 feet Tall

This is what I used to tell my high school kids....weight gain or prego?

That sounds so insensitive...sorry ... I don't mean for it to be!

Right now I do the Depo Shot...my high weight has a positive note for this one cuz I really can't tell if I've gained 10 lbs cuz of the shot or cuz of eating too much >big grin<

Good Luck with your BC issues!

Cathy
cathydoe is offline   Reply With Quote