Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-28-2009, 04:25 PM   #16  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Default I made up my MIND to do this...

No ifs ands or buts about it. So I think it's largely in the mind. I don't know, let's take a number - 99.99999% so.

People ask me all the time how I lost so much weight and I tell them - that I DECIDED to. That was it. Upon making the decision and the ensuing commitment - it was a done deal. There was no question in my mind that I would do it. None. Zero. Zippo. Nada. Zilch. I decided to do it, and therefore was WILLING to do whatever healthy measures it took - forever. Because I'd made up my mind.

Once you clearly define what you want, you then takes steps to ensure that it happens - no matter what. Your choices become clearer. You gladly give up the "bad" stuff in exchange for the "good" stuff. Because the "bad" stuff doesn't get you to your goals and it is no longer as appealing. And even if it is, initially at least, it doesn't make a difference. You've DECIDED and COMMIT ED to do this and therefore you do it.

At least that's how it worked in my mind.

Not sure why it took me 20+ years to come to that decision, that conclusion, but that's another whole thread....
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 04:47 PM   #17  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

The mind is crucial - deciding on and committing to a plan of action is the difference between successful loss versus stagnation or regain. I also agree that not having an all-or-nothing attitude about it will save so much grief! I haven't been losing like crazy lately because I have been over my daily calories by a bit. I'm not gaining, and still losing, just more slowly.

Does that mean I am failing at weight loss, because it is slower than two pounds per week or with a few calorie-heavy events? Of course not! If anything, being able to hang around a weight and not be as vigilent without regain catastrophe and spiralling out of control is my BIGGEST victory to date!

Understanding, implicitly from the start, that this is all a journey that encompasses the rest of my life, helps keep me from putting unreasonable constraints on myself for the time it takes to lose or some of the choices I make.

Realizing that I am making progress, slow and steady, and WINNING this fight agains obesity every good choice I make, as well as the fact that NO bad choice is undoable... This has all gone such a long way to helping me put weight loss, management, and general health into the proper perspective.

It's mostly a mental game. Get your priorities and commitments in the right place, and the healthy choices easily follow.

Do I have room for improvement? Heck yes! I have been bad about my exercise the past month, which is contributing to the slow loss. But I have every day to improve upon that and sometimes life just requires a narrowed focus. But I am still 40-ish pounds and 8 months improved upon where I was in the spring, and that really counts for something.
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 05:01 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 184/129/130

Height: 5'4.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kae View Post
Good point... The mind is very powerful.

I was just thinking about this earlier today... I realized not losing weight isn't even an option for me this time around. I will do it... it's just a matter of time.
exactly! when I plateau my husband worries, thinking I might quit but I keep telling him that there isn't any other option but to keep going. I can't lose all this weight to only give up and go back to being obese again. I started this I have to finish it. I have only myself to blame for gaining all the wait and I am the only person I can count on to get it off. Who do I blame if I quit now.....me.
mom4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 05:38 PM   #19  

Height: 5'11

Your mind plays a HUGE roll in your weight loss. I have lost weight before and just gained it all back but until I actually set my MIND to actually stick to it and see it as a lifetime instead of a "quick fix"
PammyFl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 06:14 PM   #20  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

There are so many helpful positive statements here. I think I need to read this thread over and over again. I wish I could figure out how to get myself to the mindset you all have

I have been struggling with the weight for years (my whole adult life) and have yet to have "the light bulb" come on or my moment where it "clicks" for me. Just kind of feeling lost. Tired of feeling crummy ~ want to feel better.
glynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 11:54 PM   #21  
MindBodySpirit Health

S/C/G: 246/216/186

Height: 5'4"

Gayle,

You've lost 30 pounds already on your journey and you should be very proud of yourself! That's a great accomplishment!!

When you talk about the light bulb moment, sometimes I think it doesn't really happen like that. As I read the posts of these ladies, I feel there's a strong conviction to set out and accomplish a goal. From almost every poster, I get a sense that a strong desire exists. First you have to understand what you want out of this journey. Then you have to decide how badly you want it. If that desire doesn't burn strong enough, then it may not give you the right fuel/motivation to stay persistent and accomplish your goal. You must lay the foundation first. That foundation must be sturdy. You have to have something to stand on. I believe you lay that foundation with your mind. Make it up. Decide. Then proceed.
angieaang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 12:28 AM   #22  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieaang View Post
Gayle,
As I read the posts of these ladies, I feel there's a strong conviction to set out and accomplish a goal. From almost every poster, I get a sense that a strong desire exists. First you have to understand what you want out of this journey. Then you have to decide how badly you want it. If that desire doesn't burn strong enough, then it may not give you the right fuel/motivation to stay persistent and accomplish your goal. You must lay the foundation first. That foundation must be sturdy. You have to have something to stand on. I believe you lay that foundation with your mind. Make it up. Decide. Then proceed.
It's not that I was going to give it another try and *hope* for the best. It's not that I was going to give it another shot this time and *see* if it works - oh no. It was that I was going to MAKE it work this time. NO. MATTER. WHAT. That was it. My mind was made up BEFORE. It wasn't a matter of hoping. It was a matter of DOING. I was going out on a limb. I was doing whatever was necessary. I was willing to do whatever it took. I didn't make it an option to NOT lose the weight. I WAS GOING TO DO IT. NO QUESTIONS ABOUT IT.

But I have heard of other people who did take it to goal who didn't start out "as" certain. There is that fake it till you make it mentality that does work for some.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote