Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-25-2009, 08:46 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

My mother has diabetes, and both my sister's had gestational diabetes. When I found out my dad had diabetes too, I was too scared to stay fat.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 09:46 PM   #17  

Height: 5'6.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetrising View Post
I've been overweight for a long time and it could be argued that my entire life up until about two weeks ago was on very long "ugh" moment.
I feel this way as well. For the longest time I've always wanted to lose weight, even when I was normal weight.

My AHA moment came this past July. I was on youtube and I stumbled upon some weight loss videos. I spent a week constantly watching videos -- I was mesmerized. That was when I realized that I could actually lose the weight, that it was not impossible.

beatific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 10:01 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 172.5/169.0/145

Height: 5' 9.5"

My ugh moment was realizing that I was still wearing a pair of maternity pants when my "baby" was 22 months old. I hadn't accepted that I was no longer thin and refused to buy appropriate clothes. Also, catching site of a very unsightly muffin top spilling over the one pair of jeans that fit me.
Of course there have been many ugh moments building up to these two incidents -- mainly to do with seeing myself in photos.
lovetorun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 11:30 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 315.6/Ticker/165

Height: 5'10"

I have had lots of UGH moments but nothing really stuck out to me until about 2.5 weeks ago when my husband told me he was sick of my being so unhappy about my weight and doing nothing to fix it. He said not only was I miserable, I was making everyone around me miserable. At first I was a bit miffed. Then I realized he was right. I never want to go out, never want to do much because of my weight. It affects my relationship with my husband and children. And I don't want my kids to grow up seeing how much I hate myself.
justaloozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 11:43 AM   #20  

S/C/G: 198/128/138

Height: 5'7

Two things really, feeling the need to hide behind others in informal family pics Christmas of 2008 and running out of pants that fit.
amynbebes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 11:49 AM   #21  
nirvikalpa samadhi

S/C/G: 369.5/ticker/169.5

Height: 5'8"

I had millions of them, but none of them actually spurred me to do anything. For me, it took the opposite..an "I love you and you are worth it" moment. The details are boring, but early last August I finally, in a flash, realized that I had never loved myself and that was the root of my problem. I started faking it, committed to a radical lifestyle change, and never looked back. Here I am 14 months later and now 140 lbs smaller.

There were just so many ugh moments, but none of them did the trick for me.
DCHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 11:54 AM   #22  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

I had a bunch of ugh moments, although none of them made me change...

One was getting on an airplane and realizing that I couldn't buckle the seat belt.

One was needing to change at work and routing around for the largest size scrubs... 1X didn't fit, 2X didn't fit,3X didn't fit, and 4X was tight around the hips. The 5X box was empty. So I put on the 4X, came out of the locker room, and one of the nurses said "you know, those come in larger sizes..."

But the funny thing is, none of those made me change. The thing that made me change was when a huge success came my way, and I realized that I was not going to be able to enjoy it because I was going to be afraid to get out and make the most of it because I was so upset about how I looked.

Someone told me "this is your shot, don't blow it..." and I realized that I really really wanted to succeed and I would never succeed if I didn't tackle the weight problem. That was June 19th 2009 and I haven't looked back since.
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 12:09 PM   #23  
I've only just begun! :)

S/C/G: 338/Ticker/180

Height: 5' 10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubergirl View Post
I had a bunch of ugh moments, although none of them made me change...

One was getting on an airplane and realizing that I couldn't buckle the seat belt.

One was needing to change at work and routing around for the largest size scrubs... 1X didn't fit, 2X didn't fit,3X didn't fit, and 4X was tight around the hips. The 5X box was empty. So I put on the 4X, came out of the locker room, and one of the nurses said "you know, those come in larger sizes..."

But the funny thing is, none of those made me change. The thing that made me change was when a huge success came my way, and I realized that I was not going to be able to enjoy it because I was going to be afraid to get out and make the most of it because I was so upset about how I looked.

Someone told me "this is your shot, don't blow it..." and I realized that I really really wanted to succeed and I would never succeed if I didn't tackle the weight problem. That was June 19th 2009 and I haven't looked back since.

Wow - you've lost 53lbs since June? That is AWESOME! Good for you!
Havisham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 02:39 PM   #24  
MindBodySpirit Health

S/C/G: 246/216/186

Height: 5'4"

I was going to say the same thing!! That is outstanding, ubergirl!!!
angieaang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 02:57 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 160/160/115

Height: 5'2"

I've lost all this weight once before, and then regained it all.

The first time, I didn't really have a "moment." I had been unhappy with my weight since I was about 10 years old. One day, when I was 19, I just said "hey, they couldn't sell all these diet and exercise things if they didn't at least work a little bit... let's see what I can do!" I ordered a set of FIRM exercise DVDs and equipment, and started out on Slim Fast but switched to calorie counting (with CalorieKing) a while later. I just... stuck with it. I have no idea what was motivating me, if anything.

I regained the weight slowly... and then the Christmas before last, I saw pictures of myself and thought, "wow, I really let myself go again!" So I started "trying" to lose the weight. I "tried" for nearly two years, starting at 145, but hovering between 130-135 since then.

The truth is, I didn't really WANT to put in the effort. Until about 3 weeks ago, when I realized that as much work as it would be, it would probably be worth it. So, ever since, I've been committed again! (I haven't lost much weight, but that's because I gained some muscle... I've lost a lot of size in less than a month!)
mayness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 03:26 PM   #26  
Rawr!

S/C/G: 210/122.2/130

Height: 5'2"-5'3"

Probably when tying my own shoes became a chore and made me out of breath and I started having my husband doing it for me. That and having a hard time washing myself in the shower, ick.

Not being able to do mundane things for myself is waaaaaay to scary and I just wont stand for it.
MeowMix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 03:27 PM   #27  

Height: 5'11

My ugh moment started as revenge. I had just gotten out of a 4 year relationship and I wanted revenge more than anything so I started eating healthy and loosing weight. As I started to lose weight my Ugh moment was just looking at myself in pictures and the mirror. I was horrified at what I had become and wasn't going to be looking back at that girl in the mirror ever again.
PammyFl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 03:47 PM   #28  
Princess in gym training

S/C/G: 228/190/130

Height: 5'9"

I had 3 UGH moments. The first happened two summers ago, I was the maid of honor in my best friend's wedding and I hate looking at myself in those pictures.
The other two came in August of this year. First I found out that one of my very dear friends is getting married and I want to enjoy these pictures.

The last UGH moment came over the course of 11 days. I spent these days on a outdoor biology course for school. We were hiking, backpacking and rafting all over the place and I was last on every hike, it felt horrible. I want to be able to keep up with people in my own age bracket for once. This summer I want to go back to the really hard hike and do it again.

Last edited by BellaDiva; 10-26-2009 at 03:48 PM.
BellaDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 06:32 PM   #29  

S/C/G: 228/215/128

Height: 5'4

I can remember as a kid being made fun of because my mom was heavy, the other kids would say "your mommy is a big fat whale" and I remember how bad that made me feel and now I have a son and I don't ever want him to be made fun of because of me. Also most of my family has health issues from being overwieght like diabetes and heart problems and I found that I was starting to show early signs of those issues and I do not want to leave my son mommyless.
owensmommy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 07:30 PM   #30  
Here we go again...

S/C/G: 176/ticker/155

Height: 5'5"/ 65 in

As strange as it sounds, it was my wedding pics that were my "ugh" moment. For 6 months leading up to my wedding, I took exercise classes 3-4 times a week but ate like a horse afterward. Forget losing weight, I gained in the process! I was also incredibly stressed which contributed to the binge eating.

The week of my wedding I just didn't eat much and I lost 6 lbs. Just like that. I realized then that my eating was out of control, not "exercise" per say. When I moved to NC to live with my husband, I started controlling my portions and focused on my "full" feeling. I have lost about 12 lbs since and decided I want to go all the way and lose another 20 or so. Right now I'm slacking but (as usual) reading the posts on here makes me feel better and I feel like I can get back on track tomorrow.
Sunnigummi is offline   Reply With Quote