Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-16-2009, 02:37 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 236.4/236.4/140

Height: 5'4

Thanks for posting this. I have been feeling the same way for a long time. Everyone's responses were very helpful for me.
double0bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 03:51 PM   #17  
I've only just begun! :)

S/C/G: 338/Ticker/180

Height: 5' 10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by takarixvx View Post
Hey everyone so lately I've been feeling like I will never be able to lose weight. I really want to but I don't know I feel like there is something blocking me and I'm never consistant with my work outs or eating right.
I see all you wonder people on here losing so much weight and I think "Wow that's amazing but that will never happen to me ". I don't know if I just don't want it bad enough or what because when I look at myself I get depressed over my size and I want to do something about it but its like I rather just be sad and sit at home. Sometimes ill be in a great mood and want tp work out but lately I've been so lazy. Im not sure if this is making any sense but if any of you have some words or incouragment, tips, or anything that would be super helpful.
Thanks everyone
Hi, there,
I'm in your shoes - only they're a lot bigger! For years, I've put off really doing this...always with a good excuse - I'll do it when work settles down, I'll do it when my meds are stable, I'll do it when the kids don't need me so much.

Then I logged on here a couple of weeks ago and started off just reading. Then I found some posts I wanted to comment on. Now I'm a veritable forum fiend. And it's helped more than I could possibly have imagined.

I don't know my weight right now - because I haven't owned scales in years. Because I didn't want to know. But tomorrow I'm going out and I'm going to buy some good ones - ones I can rely on. And I'm going to start weighing myself. And I'm going to face the music on this.

I'm not going to tell myself (or any of you) that I'm going to stick rigidly to the diet or that I'm going to run every day. I know I won't and I don't want to set myself up to fail. I'm going to take one day at a time. I'm going to start with the diet - one day at a time. Once I've dropped ten or so pounds and I can feel the difference, then I'm going to ease in to an exercise program - swimming, yoga, whatever...slowly.

But I'm not going to beat myself up if I lose a day. Tomorrow is another one (any minute now I'm going to burst into an "Annie" song!), and I get to give it another shot. And I'm going to keep coming here and posting (sorry, guys! ) and I'm going to be honest with myself .... one day at a time.

So...don't think you can't do this. Think, I can do tomorrow. Then when you go to bed tomorrow and you've done one, think, I can do it again tomorrow. And if you fall off for a day - so what, you've got more.

And you can do one day, right? If you can do one day, and I can do one day, then we're both off to a start. Feel free to PM me - we can sponsor each other....drag each other through this....but just for one day!
Havisham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 04:02 PM   #18  

Default Keep working

The only way to truely see results is to stay consistent. If I were you I would post your workout and diet online daily so you can have accountability. Hang around other people that are losing weight or healthy. Join a gym to surround yourself with people trying to reach a goal.
cwalker3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 01:28 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 172/172/120-110

Height: 5'3

Havisham Thank you sooo much that really helped me a lot! Expect some pms from my in the near future hahah .
Reading every ones responses also made me realize no one is stopping me from losing weight except myself. I'm my biggest enemy and I always try to justify my reasons for not working out or nothing eating rights. I'm going to try to practicing telling myself that I can do it and that I HAVE to do it. I started practicing that a little yesterday and it was kind of weird not punishing myself but holding myself accountable for things and not letting myself get away with eating too much.
Seriously thank you everyone who has responded you have all been a really big help. I also don't mind if the responses keep on coming !
takarixvx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 01:34 PM   #20  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by takarixvx View Post
Havisham Thank you sooo much that really helped me a lot! Expect some pms from my in the near future hahah .
Reading every ones responses also made me realize no one is stopping me from losing weight except myself. I'm my biggest enemy and I always try to justify my reasons for not working out or nothing eating rights. I'm going to try to practicing telling myself that I can do it and that I HAVE to do it. I started practicing that a little yesterday and it was kind of weird not punishing myself but holding myself accountable for things and not letting myself get away with eating too much.
Seriously thank you everyone who has responded you have all been a really big help. I also don't mind if the responses keep on coming !
Good for you! I had a tough time with that realization in the beginning too but once you get past it, you will see that YOU hold all the power for success . Good luck and keep us updated
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 01:48 PM   #21  

Height: 6-1.5

I hate to exersise too. I think the best exersise is to make a habit of having a "destination" to go to, for instance, the store. If you have a grocery store where you live, or some "destination" to walk to, the library? A park? then you will walk there and use up a lot of calories. Also, getting a dog, or voulenteering to walk someone's dog makes walking easier. Dog rescues or even the pound have voulenteers who walk dogs. Do you have an old lady with a dog nearby? Often they can't walk their own dogs. Other ways to make exersise more real to you would be to do "real" things that require strength. For instance, get a part time or tem job for the holiday season in which you are picking up a lot of boxes. A warehouse job is a good bet for a lot of good exersise. You can do vouleenteer work as well tht is physically demanding. This may sound silly, but I totally understand not going to the gym. I am unmotivated to do formal exersise, but I will do "real" physical exertion. Also, it is more fun to sign up for activity classes, like boxing, or martial arts. Much better than just doing reps on some machine. So if you can't exersise in the fake steril atmosphere of a gym, then go for real work.

Last edited by giselley; 10-17-2009 at 01:52 PM.
giselley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 01:52 PM   #22  

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havisham View Post

I don't know my weight right now - because I haven't owned scales in years. Because I didn't want to know. But tomorrow I'm going out and I'm going to buy some good ones - ones I can rely on. And I'm going to start weighing myself. And I'm going to face the music on this.

I'm not going to tell myself (or any of you) that I'm going to stick rigidly to the diet or that I'm going to run every day. I know I won't and I don't want to set myself up to fail. I'm going to take one day at a time. I'm going to start with the diet - one day at a time. Once I've dropped ten or so pounds and I can feel the difference, then I'm going to ease in to an exercise program - swimming, yoga, whatever...slowly.

But I'm not going to beat myself up if I lose a day.
Havisham, I really had a hard time cutting down when I was quoting your post because it was all good; this is the stuff that really stood out to me, though.

People take different paths through all walks of life, including the weight-loss part. Your path sounds similar to my path. Some chicks are totally, 100% dedicated and their results sure show it--look at people like cfmama and Onderchick. RockinRobin and DCHound. Lori Bell. There are countless others--chicks who stick with it, day in and day out and they have amazing results.

Then there are chicks like me. Rosinante would probably call me a "plodder" and I would be OK with that! We are the chicks who do our best to make good decisions most of the time, but will occasionally have off-plan meals (or days). It has been a long time (months, really) since I've had a frenzied, free-for-all day but I have a scheduled fast-food meal every week and today I am going to lunch with my mom. I will try to make a decent choice, but I won't be having a dry salad and a piece of broiled chicken, either. I exercise regularly, but I don't beat myself up or call myself lazy if I miss a day or two.

Consistency IS the key, but there are different flavors of consistency, I guess is what I'm trying to say. For me, the keys are:

-Making good decisions 80-90% of the time
-Make a real effort to run or use the elliptical 3-4 times a week
-Make snacks count. No non-food snacks (donuts, candy)--snacks are things like fruit, cheese, etc.
-Don't use works like "hate", "disgusting", "failure" when I go off-plan or skip exercise. I'm not a disgusting failure, but I need to acknowledge that by going off plan, I am slowing down my rate of weight loss. And I'm OK with that.

Do things that you can do long-term. Because long-term is the key. What I'm doing now is what I will do until I'm unable to do them anymore due to old age or dementia. Because the alternative is to go back to feeling sad, unfit, and unhealthy and that's no longer good enough for me.
Windchime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 03:17 PM   #23  
I've only just begun! :)

S/C/G: 338/Ticker/180

Height: 5' 10"

Thanks, windchime, it's good to know it made sense! I know if I set out rigidly I'm going to fail, and then I hate myself and start to wonder what the point is - which inevitably leads to a haagen dazs tub. For me I need to give myself some room to be human.

The first diet I did that really worked was the GI diet, written by a doctor and cardiologist. He recommends 'cheating' up to 10% of the time, as that's what being human is like. I'm not perfect, and I'm learning to be ok with that.

Tak, I meant it all very sincerely - this forum has given me the will to start doing something, and if I can return that support, I'm more than happy to. Feel free to pm and we can be each other's 'conscience'.
Havisham is offline   Reply With Quote