Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-10-2009, 04:12 PM   #1  
To war!

S/C/G: 194/ticker/135?

Height: 5' 3"

Default I am SO happy I found you guys.

I have some really-close friends, but much as I love them, my family and my husband, I don't want to discuss this journey with them. The will not understand.

They don't understand why I turn down "just a few bites" of that high-calorie dessert that I know will send me on a downward spiral*. They don't understand what the big deal is about running 2K when your body is carrying a toddler-worth of weight, and your creaky knees are protesting every minute. They don't want to hear about saggy tummy skin, or rashes, or saggy boobies, or, or, or...

I feel like I can talk about all these things here. I can whine about the "friends" that while I was pregnant, and with a bunch of issues that made me look a lot fatter than I really was, disparaged me in public. I can complain about my husband insisting I eat something, "it's not like you are going to gain a pound if you just try it". About the people who tell me it's "just" a matter of will. You can understand how I feel when my toddler tells me I am "so pretty", and then sees me getting dressed and tells me, matter of factly "mommy, you're fat".

I can't share any of that with anyone else.

Reading your stories, those who had it harder, and those who had it easier, your struggles, your solutions, your challenges has comforted me and pushed me to be better.

Thank you all.

*My diet is very healthy, but sugar and carbohydrates are my poison of choice. I can't trust myself around it, at least not yet.

Last edited by Tante Claire; 09-10-2009 at 04:58 PM.
Tante Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 04:32 PM   #2  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Welcome! I know exactly how you feel- hubby is supportive but he just doesn't get that I can't eat like him!
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 04:32 PM   #3  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 04:35 PM   #4  
Rawr!

S/C/G: 210/122.2/130

Height: 5'2"-5'3"

I know how you feel! It's so frustrating to have people in your life who just don't care what they are putting in their bodies and then expect you to do the same!

It's nice to come here and read other people who do care and it's very motivating to see it in action!
MeowMix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 04:39 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 246/233/175

Height: 5'8"

Glad you joined! I love this site too, but be warned: It gets kinda addictive!

Good luck with your weight loss journey, there is LOTS of support on this site, ya gotta love it here ;-)
jefferzzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 09:02 PM   #6  
a work in progress

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'6 1/2

There are some things that only other fat chicks "get"!
juliastl27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 09:16 PM   #7  
To war!

S/C/G: 194/ticker/135?

Height: 5' 3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerab View Post

Welcome! I know exactly how you feel- hubby is supportive but he just doesn't get that I can't eat like him!
My husband is nearly a foot taller than me, a high school athlete, ex-military that runs 40K every week and plays golf on his "rest" days. He's only a month older than me, (I just turned 39) but he never bore a kid, so he's got all the advantages. And yet he doesn't understand that, because of all these things, I can't just eat like him and be healthy.

I mean, he decides to lose 10 lbs. on Monday and he's done it by next Sunday! And all he has to do is run an extra day, not drink beer, or stuff himself with huge steaks and potatoes and cream, for one week. For me it takes weeks, and a ton of sacrifice and exercise.

He's the greatest husband and dad in the world, but sometimes he can be a wee clueless.

Sometimes I wonder if recovering alcoholics face similar problems with family and friends (I think of myself as a food addict going through rehab).
Tante Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 10:35 PM   #8  
SWMBO

S/C/G: 287/258/169

Height: 5'9

First of all...WELCOME!

You know, the fact that our friends and family continously try to sabotage us (whether consciously or UNconsciously) never ceases to amaze me!

Take my DH...I love him and I KNOW he loves me and wants only what's best for me, but even though he KNOWS I'm trying to lose weight, he will STILL try to push food on me! My mother, sister, and brothers all do the same.

You're right...they just don't get it at all.

S
sherrybwc is offline   Reply With Quote