Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-09-2009, 12:52 PM   #1  

S/C/G: original 221 198/ticker/150

Height: 5'9"

Default Suggestions for stress?

I am feeling a bit overwhelmed today. All I can think about is food to relax. This is the first time in a long time that I've felt this way. I'm thinking others know what I'm talking about and I was hoping we can all share what we do to de-stress without turning to food.
Usually I will do some type of exercise, but I'm stuck at work for the next 5 1/2 hours and have class after that for a couple hours. So, exercise is out for now. What are some of the ways you deal with stress when you can't get out to exercise?
stargzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 01:07 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 232/tick/150

Height: 5'8"

Reading helps a lot. You can bring up online books or go to your favorite author's website - they normally have samples. Massagers that you can strap to the back of your chair also help. My third, and most freuqently used option, is writing. Not like a post or a blog - but creatively writing. I have a folder of short stories and longer (even novel legnth stuff) I've written on REALLY bad days. Some of it isn't all that bad
marbear24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 03:17 PM   #3  
So close to onederland...

S/C/G: 271/ticker/160

Height: 5'-8"

Maybe just a short break at your desk to breathe and meditate?
sprklemajik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 03:20 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

I like to take out a pen and paper and create healthy recipes when I am bored or stressed. If you don't want to think about food then this is not a good idea.

Another one is I like to browse trashy gossip celebrity websites like tmz.com, I know I shouldn't feel better knowing other people's lives are worse, but... meh ...
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 03:26 PM   #5  
Green Tomatoes

Is there anyone in your office you could ask for a real life hug?

I like the writing suggestion. Besides creative writing, there's also journal type writing. Ask yourself a bunch of questions like: Why, exactly, am I stressed? What other feelings am I experiencing? Is there anything about this situation that is good or helpful or a learning experience?

Of course, a good distraction at work is work. Is there some project you've been putting off that you might as well start now when you're feeling crappy anyway?

Also, I don't know if this would work for everyone, but when I really want to eat something for emotional reasons, I start thinking about the next thing I have on my plan to eat. Sometimes, it's just helpful to know where that next meal is coming from and exactly what it is and think about how good it will taste while being good for me.
gardenerjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 04:41 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 140/127/120

Height: 5'2"

Meditation and deep breathing -- if you are stuck at the office

Also sometimes if I'm stuck at the office I just distract myself with crossword puzzels or suduko. Not really stress relief but can distract you from unhealthy alternatives.

As you mention, exercise is a great stress relief. I also do yoga and splurge to get a massage as often as I can.
jayjay77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 05:12 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 275/222/140

Height: 5'6"

I started yoga for the first time last week, and was amazed at the results as far as stress goes. I know you can't go do yoga right now, but some breathing exercises may go a long way. Good luck!
utgirl09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 12:27 PM   #8  

S/C/G: original 221 198/ticker/150

There are a lot of wonderful suggestions so far!
marbear - I'm not a very good writer, though I wish I was... That is an awesome idea though. Maybe I will turn into a good one?
jayjay - I love the idea of sudoku or something like that to just take my mind off things. I will have to bring my crossword book to work with me from now on.
majik & jayjay - I'll definitely be trying the meditation at my desk. Help me to get away from everything "work" now and then.
joy - Unfortunately there's nobody I work with who I could get a hug from. I really liked the idea of thinking of what I get to eat next!

A small update... I decided to just go ahead and treat myself to something that sounded good without going overboard. I stopped by Taco Bell and got a couple soft tacos. I know, not the best thing in the world... but it did get my mind off eating to feel better for the rest of the day. One day at a time, right?
stargzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 12:55 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 167/165/145

Height: 5'3"

I'm just starting my weight loss journey (again) but I find thinking about why I'm stressed helps. Like yesterday, I was a bit stressed and unhappy after a discussion with someone and really wanted some potato chips...at that point I had a little conversation (not out loud ) with myself about what was bothering me and thought: Don't eat your emotions. That really helped, I didn't buy the chips and felt good about it.
lisa65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 01:04 PM   #10  
Green Tomatoes

Yay, stargzr, for working it out for yourself and for being so conscious and aware of what you were doing and why. Hope your day today is a bit better!

And, yay, lisa65, for your experience of self awareness and for feeling good about not buying the chips!
gardenerjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 01:30 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 232/tick/150

Height: 5'8"

stargzr - you'll become a great one. I expect your first book to be dedicated to me
marbear24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 01:57 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 215/199/160

Height: 5'4"

There are always such great suggestions available here! I don't know if you have time or a quiet place but yesterday I made myself go outside and get a little sun and fresh air for a break and got closer to meditation then ever before, it was kind of a nice way to refocus and release some of the stress in my world.
Good Luck!
mvlucero is offline   Reply With Quote