Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-20-2009, 03:30 PM   #16  
banned

S/C/G: 213/ticker/135

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumie View Post
When I was trying on wedding dresses, the consultant at David's said regarding three dresses in a row--"This dress would look stunning if you lose about 20-25 lbs.!" Finally, after the third, I said "could we talk about dresses that would look good on me now?!"

I complained to the manager, and she was quite genuinely shocked by her employee's behavior.

And 139 is not overweight for MY height, let alone yours. She must have a lot of supermodels in her life.

Oh my Lord I just commented on this before I read your post.

I work at a David's Bridal in California and we have monthly meetings where we go over customer feedback from both our store and from others... and at other stores, that's what brides have said about their consultants, that they say that they'd look better in a certain gown if they lost 30 lbs, and so on, and everyone at my store was pretty horrified. Thank you for complaining to the manager. that's just unacceptable behavior.

Anyways, like i said above, it could have been a cultural difference.
sunflowergirl68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 03:34 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 275/see ticker!/175

Height: 5'5"

I agree with the others...I think she was jealous. I saw your pics...there's no WAY someone could say you need to lose 20lbs. Unless, she was looking at you through funhouse mirror glasses.

I understand what you mean, though. I want to lose weight so I can't be called fat again. Of course, being a woman, even if I was 90lbs, someone would call me fat at some point. People are silly.

You should go Pretty Woman on her, though. Go buy a stunning dress somewhere else, get your guy dressed up, then go in her store and say, "Remember me? You wouldn't sell that dres to me? BIG mistake." And walk out!
imaninjadangit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 04:08 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 249/175/149

Height: 5'8"

I'm so sorry! You've already made so much progress.. don't let ignorant people like that woman put you down. Keep your head up!
kuhrisuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 04:23 PM   #19  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

OMG how terrible! Seriously at 139 you ARE at a perfect weight IMO.

I'd kill to be 139 really I would! Man if she had said that I would have been like "are you saying I'm fat?" Then thrown the dress down and demand to speak to a manager lol. Maybe you could have gotten 20% off
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 04:41 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

that's really tacky of a sales person, usually they try to push sales on you whether they think stuff looks good on your or not. man... I would of told her she lost her commission and I'd be taking my money elsewhere... then I would of went home to cry.

and at 139lbs you aren't even fat, can't believe she told you to lose 20lbs, you don't need to look like a stick.
ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 05:09 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 155/150/132

Height: 5'2"

People say stupid stuff I wouldn't worry about it too much. When I was in college and before I had a baby (lol) my normal weight was 100lbs. I was wearing a midriff and jeans while out shopping and the sales associate goes, "Oh cute! You're pregnant!" At the time I was pissed off, but in hindsight, what an idiot! There is no possible way I could have looked over weight, bloated or whatever...who knows why he thought or said that. Same in your circumstance who knows why she said what she did, but it doesn't make it "so."

By they by, I would DEFINITELY call the manager. What if she said something like that to somebody who had an eating disorder or something? That could really traumatize people not to be dramatic. If she is the manager I'd ask for the General Manager or the owner.
NinaMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 05:44 PM   #22  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

That was so uncalled for and I am sorry it happened to you. Don't let stupidity get you down
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 06:35 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 217/196/135

Height: 5'7"

Thanks you guys. You really made me feel better. Now that I think about it, it was a pretty stupid thingto get so worked up over, especially since she wasn't exactly thin herself, but you know how it is when you're still insecure with your body. I did get her name (she was wearing a name tag) and I think I may complain, just so she doesn't say this kind of thing to more people. Stupid people shouldn't work in customer service, in my opinion. Anyways, thanks a bunch, guys. (((hugs)))
cammieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 06:37 PM   #24  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

At the time, this was egregious enough that I would have pulled out my showstopper "wow, you're rude!" line...specifically, I'd have turned to her and said "What a terribly inappropriate thing to say. How embarrassing for you".

Then I would have followed it with "I would like you to get me your manager, please, so I can find someone else to help me". And then I would have told the manager what happened.

The question isn't whether you "deserved" it or not given your VERY NORMAL AND HEALTHY weight and height. It would have been just as inappropriate if you were 300 lbs - it just isn't how you talk to customers. And her manager needs to be aware.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 07:47 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 199/160/149

Height: 5.5

Wow I just look at your pic post. I think you looked great at 170. At 139 you look great and curvy. I think some people confuse a real woman's shape with being fat. She definitely was jealous!
maryshady is offline   Reply With Quote