Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-14-2009, 09:09 PM   #16  
a work in progress

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'6 1/2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marms View Post
I lost 7 lbs the first month but everyone loses a lot the first month since you lose water weight, eat more fiber so "things" move along faster and just generally eat less so you have less food in your digestive track at one time. I have lost about 4 lbs a month ever since, even at the higher weight and I haven't changed my calorie goal. I still aim for 1300 -1400 per day. I have also never plateaued.
well thats good to know. i was averaging 6-8 lbs/month til this whole issue started. maybe my expectations are too high. i actually asked earlier on a different board about fiber supplements. even when i eat lots of grains and veggies, my digestive tract seems to move VERY slowly and im wondering if maybe this is part of the problem. my eating disorder riddled sister keeps telling me to take laxatives as part of my weight loss routine, but that just doesnt seem like a good idea.
juliastl27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 09:10 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marms View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliastl27
i guess that since i never struggled with weight until my mid twenties, the idea of dieting for so many months and STILL being fat is just making me completely impatient.

I think this sentence is where your downfall is. It's not a diet. You will have to pretty much eat this way the rest of your life (ok, so you do get a few more calories when you're in maintenance) or you will gain again.
I was going to say the same thing.

I think this is a great opportunity to reflect on how you expect to eat and live after you reach goal. And come to terms with what will or will not work forever. That would sound scary to me if I were only interested in pure weight loss. It's being interested in my daily and long-term health that makes it all so seem so very doable and even enjoyable to me. It makes me focus and what I'm doing to improve my health instead of on giving up things.

Last edited by JulieJ08; 08-14-2009 at 09:11 PM.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 09:16 PM   #18  
starting over again

No, don't take laxatives. All that does is make you lose water weight not fat. Plus, it screws with your electrolytes. For extra fiber, what about Fiber One cereal for breakfast or wraps made with "Flat Out" flatbread.

There's also hemp protein powder. Doesn't taste all that great but it's like drano for your bowels, lol.
Marms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 09:35 PM   #19  
a work in progress

maybe ill give the cereal a shot. i know, she keeps pushing me to try them saying, "it will make the scale go down so you're not so frustrated!". she takes them every day when shes trying to lose weight and loses like 3-4 lb/week. the problem is, she gains it all back eventually.
Old 08-14-2009, 09:44 PM   #20  
nirvikalpa samadhi

S/C/G: 369.5/ticker/169.5

Height: 5'8"

Look, I lost 99 lbs in 6 months then 21 lbs in the next 6 months. Um, that's a big difference. BUT! I have lost size on a pretty regular basis, 32 down to a 16/18. Don't just go by scale, go by measurements and clothing size too. We all lose differently.
DCHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 12:54 AM   #21  
a work in progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCHound View Post
Look, I lost 99 lbs in 6 months then 21 lbs in the next 6 months. Um, that's a big difference. BUT! I have lost size on a pretty regular basis, 32 down to a 16/18. Don't just go by scale, go by measurements and clothing size too. We all lose differently.

you know this really does make me feel better. its nice to hear that someone who is at a higher weight still (like myself) has also seen a slowdown. i was really expecting this not to happen until i got much closer to my goal weight. its good to know that even ladies who still have a decent amount left to go like me are experiencing a drop in loss. thanks!!