Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 07-06-2002, 03:38 PM   #1  

Thumbs down Steel Magnolias -- #175

I'm waiting for my hair to dry so I can deliver the bread and juice to the brunch hostess. Thought I would check in and see if there were any flower postings.

Sharon -- After reading Maggie's response and then rereading your post . . . the dog was alive and the person dead or the other way around? Or were there two dogs? I am confused! Either way it is sad! I've known people who admit that they aim for cats who are crossing the street. I slam on the brakes for squirrels, ducks, turtles, dogs, cats, cows, hogs, raccoons, and anything else . . . even the little ground squirrels. I need a bumper sticker that says "I brake for animals!" I've seen them on cars but never where I could buy one. A maintain is a KEEPER -- much better for the attitude than a gain!

Guess I will finish getting ready and be on my way. Have a nice afternoon!

Jean -- in Iowa!
Old 07-06-2002, 04:18 PM   #2  
I will do it this time

Jean, no dead people. Sorry I didn't make that clear. It was the dead dogs, doggie friend.

Maggie, there is a leash law, but I live near a community that doesn't seem to have the same feeling for animals that I do. It is a farm area, and where the dogs were, there is a high field worker population. Plus, it is possible the dogs got out of their yards on fourth of July, because of the fireworks.

Last edited by Sharon; 07-06-2002 at 06:04 PM.
Old 07-06-2002, 08:31 PM   #3  
Web Nana

GOOD EVENING MAGNOLIAS!!!
We just got back from the Cape. What great weather we had. Got there on Wednesday after a horrible night which we spend sleeping on the sofas in the LR. It was sooooo HOT!!!. Got to my friends house right across from the water and the drop in temp. was really dramatic. We stayed till this morning (Sat) and slept like logs each night. We had the front room that faces the water with cross ventilation and had the windows open each night. I loved it. MY friend has been having quite a sick year, what with cancer (Breast) and then a fall down the stairs (hair line fracture of the hip and across to the Vulva! She has been in quite a lot of pain and then she had to have her Cataract operated on. She is quite the plucky person and will not give in to whining or self pity. We did all we could to help her and brought food for two meals and I felt good about that. The fire works were WONDERFUL!!!!! The last few years they had a barge explosion and then the next year the fog was on the deck and you couldn't see anything. This year they outdid themselves! Got in the water and it was wonderful. I have unpacked the car but haven't gotten to the suit cases yet. As Scarlett said " Tomorrow is another day!" Also tomorrow I will be back to weighing , measuring, and journaling again.

You have been a busy group! I couldnn't believe that you have gone through 2 threads since Tuesday I will have to get back to reading all that I missed later.

Gloria in MA.....glad to get back home!
Old 07-07-2002, 01:06 AM   #4  

Well...here is another returnee from the 4th!!

We went to my daugher and SIL's. Had a great BBQ and then watched the fireworks over the ocean. We were lucky...no fog!! Actually, it was a very pleasant day at the ocean...sun was out, no wind...it was great. We took a walk along the beach and watched the sun set before we headed over to the Fireworks.

We stayed the night to avoid all the 4th traffic going home and left about 1:00 on Friday...when everyone was SUPPOSE to be at work, but it was a traffic nightmare from the time we hit San Francisco...all the way home! I later found out there was some kind of horrendous traffic holdup on 101...no kidding!!

But we are back...it is getting very hot here...actually turned the A/C on this afternoon when it hit 86 inside the house. The good news is that after the sun sets, the sea breeze comes in over the mountain and we can open the house up again and cool it off for sleeping!

I hope you all had a great 4th and are enjoying the summer!
Jackie
Old 07-07-2002, 03:39 PM   #5  

Good Afternoon, Flowers!
It is clouding over and looks like it might just rain a drop or two. I hope so as we need it so very badly! Jason and Amanda just left for home; the reunion was a success and I just wished I could have gone along!

Sharon -- Poor Dog! I've seen ducks and squirrels hang by the side of the road when their mates get run over and I feel so bad.

Gloria -- I'm glad that you enjoyed your 4th with your friend. I'm sure she appreciated the food that you brought -- that was so thoughtful of you.

Jackie -- I'll bet fireworks over the ocean are just awesome! I've never actually seen the ocean; I flew over it at night but never really "saw" it. Well, I guess I have too, when we were in Hawaii. Duh! I feel like I still have vacation jet lag!

I am waiting for my last load of laundry and really should iron some shirts for Bob. He can wear golf type shirts in the summer and I do get spoiled. Then again, maybe I'll work on my Christmas stocking. Have a nice afternoon!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 07-07-2002, 03:50 PM   #6  
I will do it this time

Hi!

Gloria, sounds like your friend is a very special person. What a tough year she has had.

Jackie, it nice to see another California girl on the thread. I don't see many. I work in the bay area, in Newark, next to Fremont and I live in Modesto. Sorry the traffic was so bad coming home. There have been a lot of strange things going on on the freeways lately. Was the Friday one the police action? I don't remember.

Hi Jean! Come to California and enjoy the prettiest ocean in the states!! My opinion, I know. I love our coast line. I do have room if you want to visit.

It is 100 here today, or will be and then supposed to get up to 105 by midweek. Ugh!!! I don't like that heat. At least the bay area will be cooler.
Old 07-07-2002, 04:27 PM   #7  

CA Sharon: I know exactly where you are! Our first home was in Union City. We lived in Fremont for a short time while our house in UC was being built. I've spent a lot of time in and around Modesto for soccer tournaments! I started teaching in Castro Valley. Since my husband worked for the State we have lived in Eureka, Citrus Heights, San Diego and Santa Rosa. We are now retired and living in Cloverdale (30 miles north of Santa Rosa.)
Boy...you have a LONG commute from Modesto to the Bay Area! I don't envy you that!

Maybe someday our paths will cross!
Jackie
Old 07-07-2002, 05:14 PM   #8  
I will do it this time

Jackie, this is kind of exciting for me. We also lived in Union City for a while. My kids went to James Logan. My grandson played soccer last year and is into baseball. He is in the allstars this summer. He is 8. I work at the school district in Newark. Small world. I love Sonoma, actually I love Northern California. I am very jealous of anyone that is retired. Yes, the commute is horrendous. We have been doing it for 12 years. My husband works in Pleasanton so he drives the first part and then I drive in from there. Maybe someday we will meet.

Last edited by Sharon; 07-07-2002 at 05:20 PM.
Old 07-07-2002, 11:47 PM   #9  

Hi Flowers,
Youall have been busy! I've been a slug watching Wimbledon. Tomorrow the aquarobics instructor returns so we're back on track with that. It's a good thing too, as my points keeping and journaling were on vacation as well!
The heat finally broke yesterday, but is supposed to go back up again tomorrow. This is where the southern belles from Mississippi and other parts of the deep south would come to get away from "the vapors"...........well guess what, now WE have 'em! Did anyone by any chance catch A&E Thurs.or Fri. night? They did a program on the Presidential Bunker at The Greenbrier Hotel, which is about 5 miles away. It is a fascinating story, if you haven't already heard it. I suspect it's online somewhere, but the idea was conceived by Ike in the 50s, and they built this huge underground bunker under the hotel which was large enough to house the full Congress and Staff indefinitely. The Prez was to be airborne on Airforce One during that time. Because of all this we have the longest runway in WV, and Airforce One flies in and out to practice takeoffs and landings. We all thought after 9/11 the Bunker might be reactivated, but apparently not. It really is obsolete, because it would take 4 hours by train, and an hour by air to get here. With today's nuclear capabilities, that's just too much time. Now they just give tours and hold a Culinary School in the former kitchen.
Don't know what got me on that kick, except that if you're over 50, you remember the Cold War.
Off to bed.
Have a great Monday.
Old 07-08-2002, 12:42 PM   #10  
Thin Within

Thumbs down Mnday Monday

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

Another day that is going to be warm but we too get those sea breezes in the evening that make sleeping nice and easy. Got to go out and about em this day and get some supplies. Go see the Insurance Agent and get that Mustang on the books.

Sounds like the two of you COOKIE & SHARON are in the same neck of the woods now and then. Maybe one day I will come up your beautiful way and we can share a lite luncheon and lots of chatter. Sounds like a plan don't you think!

Go face the Iron Monster this evening and I do have hopes of a small loss this day.

Have a great one all ya'all.
Old 07-08-2002, 02:26 PM   #11  

Thumbs down

Good Afternoon, Flowers!
I hope this goes through because the computer has been so slow today . . . wonder if it is the weather? My MIL had a bunch of relatives invade her space so she came to spend a few days with us. There is no air conditioning at her place and with dogs, kids, and adults it was a bit too zooy! It's another hot and sticky day here -- looked like we might get some rain but the clouds went on by.

Sharon -- I would love to visit CA sometime. I don't remember which TV program it was (a long time ago!) but it showed the trolley going over the steep hill. I've always wanted to visit San Fransisco and DH has an aunt who lives in So. SF. Maybe someday I will get there.

Bubbles -- You live in such an interesting part of the U.S. -- lots of history there. Hope your cooler weather lasts!

Maggie -- Good luck at WI tonight!

I need to keep moving. Feel like all I have done today is fix food and clean up the kitchen! Have a nice "rest of the day!"

Jean -- from Iowa!

Last edited by Jean; 07-08-2002 at 02:28 PM.
Old 07-08-2002, 03:53 PM   #12  

Thanks Jean,
Most people think of folks in WV as being functionally illiterate, barefoot and pregnant..........not so. I'm here by choice, so I can brag about it. Spent most of my life in FL and SC, and I'll take WV over them both. Getting ready to go to the pool for the drill..........hope it doesn't rain. We're beginning to get the afternoon showers we used to get daily in FL. Weird.

What year is that yellow Mustang? My son would kill for one Did you see the Today show this morning when they were showing the old corvettes? There was a bright yellow one with a black interior and it made me think of you.
Old 07-08-2002, 03:54 PM   #13  
I will do it this time

Hi Jean! I think the show you saw was called the Streets of San Francisco. It is quite a city. I don't like to go there, but I have lived here all my life and it is just a mass of traffic to me. Visitors do love it. Your weather sounds nasty. Now they are saying it will hit 110 out my way by Wednesday.

Hi Maggie and Graybubs!!
Old 07-08-2002, 03:55 PM   #14  
I will do it this time

Maggie, lite lunch sometime sounds great. How is the weather down there?
Old 07-08-2002, 03:59 PM   #15  

Hi Sharon,
You're right about us being a community of animal lovers. What do you do with the school system? I probably need to make a list of all the Magnolias and their names to help to keep everyone straight in my feeble mind. CRS and all that. I used to teach Jr. High Special Ed, but retired 2 years ago. I get my "kid fix" by volunteering and subbing at camp on occasion, but really don't miss it that much. Being in a small town, I see my favorites on a fairly regular basis.
Have a good evening.
Closed Thread