Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-18-2009, 06:59 PM   #1  
Fighting PCOS

S/C/G: 185/179/145

Height: 5'7"

Question Gym Tips

As I mentioned in my intro thread, I recently joined a gym. I'm not very comfortable there among the skinny people yet. I actually feel quite out of place. I also have tons of questions. I thought maybe some of you former gym newbies could help a fellow chick out?
  • Should I go every day? Every other day? Two days on w/one day off?
  • Anyone with Rheumatoid Arthritis or other disabilities out there and if so, how long did you work out in the beginning?
  • How long do you spend on each machine?
  • What time of day is best to work out?
  • How long do you wait after you've consumed food before working out?
  • What kind of stretches do you do before getting on the Treadmill? (my favorite machine)
  • Do you do any weight lifting? (even if it's very light weights)
  • If you do lift weights, how many reps do you complete?
  • Is there anything in particular you're sure to do after a workout?
  • What do you wear? My shorts always bunch up and become uncomfy.

Don't feel like you have to answer every question if you reply. Even if you can answer one of them that'd be great. Also, please reply if you have any tips or other info to add to the discussion. I feel very out of my element and I'm hoping you all can help. So what's your routine like?

Here's mine...

Get on treadmill and walk at 2.5 mph for a few minutes until I'm ready to go on up to around 3-3.5 mph. I do this for about 15 minutes, but I could do more.
From there I go to the eliptical machine for around 5 minutes. I can only take that much for now.
Then I go to the bicycle for around 15 minutes.
Last night for the first time my husband showed me how to use some of the weight machines. I did 5 EASY reps of each of them. 5 machines in all.

I take my water bottle and either my iTouch or Blackberry and listen to music, talk shows or podcasts, too. This seems to help me.
Art_Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 07:07 PM   #2  
Less than 15 now!!

S/C/G: 220/*ticker*/145

Height: 5' 4"

Looks like you're doing great! You should go as much as you feel comfortable and able. 30 minutes every day of cardio and weights every other day ought to do ya. Depending on what gym you joined - the usually have workout routines posted on the wall or available from the desk.
mortonpixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 07:11 PM   #3  
Operator265

Check at the place you go to has a trainer there. The one in my hometown had a pro around. He wasn't a "personal" trainer, but, was there to help get people started out on the right track and answer questions. I think most places do have one.

I've never really felt "out of place". I've always felt that if you are outta shape you belong there more than the fit folks. But, I was in a smaller town where everyone knew everyone else. 'Sides if you stick with it and a healthy diet, it won't be long before you're one of the skinny broads yourself.

Best Wishes on your Journey Forward and Downward.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:58 PM   #4  
Hug a Tree!

Height: 4'9"

* Should I go every day? Every other day? Two days on w/one day off?
* Anyone with Rheumatoid Arthritis or other disabilities out there and if so, how long did you work out in the beginning?
* What time of day is best to work out?
* How long do you wait after you've consumed food before working out?
* What kind of stretches do you do before getting on the Treadmill? (my favorite machine)
* Do you do any weight lifting? (even if it's very light weights)
* If you do lift weights, how many reps do you complete?
* Is there anything in particular you're sure to do after a workout?
* What do you wear? My shorts always bunch up and become uncomfy.

1. Whatever works for you. If you want to do everyday and you can, then go for it. If I were you I would take it slow and build my way up to see how I feel. Going outside instead of the gym can be nice too if the weather is good. I don't like to be stuck in the gym when it's nice outside.

2. I have fibromyalgia, arthritis, asthma and adrenal problems. I started out slowly and went ahead doing what I could do. I still do weeks then others. I took a break for about two weeks. Now I'm back again this week. You'll just have to see how your body feels. If you aren't feeling well then by all means, take a break.

3. The best time to work out is when you will do it!

4. I wait at least 10 minutes if I want to eat first but usually it's been a little while.

5. I don't stretch before, I stretch after

6. Yes, I weight lift. I LOVE it. I hurt my shoulder and I can't do it now going on three weeks. I feel weird. I want to get back into it.

7. Sets and reps are very personal. You would have to talk to a trainer for that or do your own research. There isn't a one size fits all method.

8. Get a drink and go to the bathroom.

9. I wear wide leg exercise type pants and a t-shirts. I loath shorts and I won't wear anything that shows my legs in public.

So, there is my two cents.
LandonsBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 07:49 PM   #5  
Fighting PCOS

S/C/G: 185/179/145

Thank you all for your replies.

LandonsBaby, I loath shorts, too. That's why I was curious about what others were wearing. I have NO tan and my legs are so chunky looking compared to the other little skinny minnies at the gym. I wear the shorts anyway to keep cool and because I haven't found but one pair of pants that fit right and were cool enough. (cool as in temperature) Oh well...as the pounds come off I will surely be less apprehensive about wearing shorts.

I've been going with my husband at around 8pm. By that time the trainers are off. The gym is very small and lots of members go during the trainers' hours. I went some during the day and had to wait in line for a treadmill. It's okay, though. Evenings are suiting me so far I think.
Art_Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 09:07 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 287/215/149

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art_Chick View Post
As I mentioned in my intro thread, I recently joined a gym. I'm not very comfortable there among the skinny people yet. I actually feel quite out of place. I also have tons of questions. I thought maybe some of you former gym newbies could help a fellow chick out?
  • Anyone with Rheumatoid Arthritis or other disabilities out there and if so, how long did you work out in the beginning?
  • What kind of stretches do you do before getting on the Treadmill? (my favorite machine)
Don't feel like you have to answer every question if you reply. Even if you can answer one of them that'd be great. Also, please reply if you have any tips or other info to add to the discussion. I feel very out of my element and I'm hoping you all can help. So what's your routine like?
• I must be weird because going to the gym amongst skinny people doesn't bother me at all. I go every day except Sunday (it's closed on Sun.)
• I have arthritis in my back which is one reason I'm going to the gym. I usually work out from 30-45 min., but I try to increase my intensity all the time.
• I walk/jog 1 mile or 1.5 miles on the treadmill, then go on the recumbent bike (which supports my back) to equal out the 30-45 min.
• I train with a personal trainer 2x per week. He has me do 3 sets of each exercise, the reps vary but usually 10-17 reps each set. He has me do lots of free weights and some machines plus squats.
• Re: eating, since I am trying to stay low-carb, I do eat all my carbs in the a.m. BEFORE my weight training sessions or else I am too weak to get a good workout.
• I had a groin pull awhile ago, so I stretch that before the treadmill. That's it.
• For my intense weight training workouts, I eat protein and carb immediately after to repair muscle. I eat nothing after cardio.
• I usually wear crop pants so they don't ride up like shorts. Sometimes I wear shorts because they're cooler but they do creep up, ugh!

Hope this helps! C.J.
CJZee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 09:41 PM   #7  
Live with Intention

S/C/G: 260.6/see ticker/160

Quote:
  • I started working out four days a week, moved to five, and now do six days with one day off.
  • I had major foot pain in my left foot that kept me from consistently working out for this last year. Working a 9 hour a day job on my feet didn't help. I saw a foot doctor and after buying a pair of New Balance that number 975 because of the rigidity of the sole, and an expensive pair of inserts my foot is about 85% better. I had a problem with it this Friday, which was my first time working out for 6 days and I had to stop early. I'm careful to not push it so that I can continue to exercise regularly.
  • My workout consist of 45 minutes on the elliptical and 30 to 45 minutes on the treadmill. If my foot is hurting I might use the stationary bike instead, but I don't like doing that.
  • Right now I get up at 7am and am out the door by 7:15am. Once I start back to working, I will fit my workout around my schedule. I'm fortunate that my gym is a 24/7 one.
  • I used to eat breakfast before working out and have stopped that. It only took a few days not to feel like I was dying of hunger. If I was to eat, I would wait at least 20 minutes.
  • For stretches before I touch my toes a few times and stretch my calves because they are always tight.
  • I used to use the weight machines at the gym but have since changed my mind on the usefulness of those. I'm now using my boyfriend's dumbbells at home three days a week.
  • I had an injury to my shoulder so I'm going slow with 3 reps of 10 on ten pound weights.
  • I stretch after my workout, take a shower, and eat because by then I'm ravenous.
  • I hate shorts because of that bunching problem I wear a very comfortable pair of Capri workout pants made out of polyester and a light weight T-shirt
Pita09 is offline   Reply With Quote