Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-11-2009, 10:01 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 265/244/140

Default Teaching my son to eat healthy

I started my weight loss journey in February and have lost 40lbs so far. My son, who is 10, is heading towards being overweight and I want to stop this downward spiral now. We have had conversations about eating healthier and why it is so important. I have told him I want him to start usiing the Wii Fit everyday for 30 minutes. Our biggest dilemma is eating. He is a picky eater and loves junk. We are not buying anymore junk for the house and trying to find healthy foods that he will eat.

Has anyone been through this with your kids? Any ideas would be great!

Thanks,
Karen
MdTerrapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 10:17 AM   #2  

Take him grocery shopping with you and let him choose a new healthy food to try. Let him help preparing healthy snacks. Take him for a walk with you, do exercise together. Setting a good example is still the best way to go.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 10:27 AM   #3  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I agree- instead of telling him HE has to use the Wii fit a half hour a day- why not play with him? That way you get to have a good time with your son and it's a bonding experience- heck have the whole family join in and each day you guys play a sport or go for a walk or something. Can the wii fit be done with two players? Why not do it together? Make exercise fun that way he'll want to do it.

I agree on letting him pick some healthy snacks and both of you making some healthy stuff together- as long as you keep him involved and make it fun he'll be more likely to stick with it.

Also go slow- if he's not used to all sorts of healthy stuff you can overwhelm him. I have slowly encorporated healthier living at home and my husband is doing much better now- at first he was totally against it in terms of him joining in. BUT with time now one of his favorite snacks are yogurt and granola! I mean that's a huge change from Mr. Chips and Dip.

Good luck.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 10:31 AM   #4  
Once more, with feeling!

S/C/G: 235/ticker/135

Height: 5'4

What about some sort of sport? My brother loved soccer when he was that age (still does!). Lots and lots of running plus new friends and that nice team camaraderie were so good for Sam. Some of the third grade boys that I work with are also really into wrestling and basketball.
KnitALisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 10:50 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 178/174/138

Height: 5'2"

I also have a picky eater, he is 6. I have been trying to swap out the bad junk with new healthy versions. We now use whole wheat pasta, ground turkey and make our own pizzas. We no longer keep junk food on hand and he seems to be okay with it. (out of sight out of mind)

Kids seem to be more responsive if they get to help in the kitchen. There is a good book for kids, eat this not that for kids. It helps make the "better choice"

My biggest challenge has been in the fruit and veggie department.

Seeing how your son is 10, I am sure he would love to "challenge" you while using the Wii fit or at some other activity. Start a progress chart and work together. Good luck to you both.
rgourty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 10:58 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 265/244/140

He is an active kid. He plays basketball in the winter and plays outside all the time. We also swim in the summer. I like the idea of making it a competition between the two of us.

Thanks,
Karen
MdTerrapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 11:11 AM   #7  
NOT Aging Gracefully!

S/C/G: 223/ticker/126

Height: 5' 8"

Slow transitions - just swapping from chips to pretzels and crackers is a good start. Don't try and go too cold turkey or y'all will both go crazy. Oh, and focus at meals on meats and veggies before the starch, etc.

My son is 5 and a wanna-be junk-food junkie. As soon as we get to the neighbors he heads for the chips! But he also knows they aren't healthy and don't "make you grow up big and strong". I just talk to him about foods a lot, and how important they are. He actually turned down candy the other day because sugar is bad for you!
jelder227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 11:15 AM   #8  
XOXO

S/C/G: 268/249/145

Height: 5'4"

My son (14) sort of decided on his own that he wanted to get healthy after watching me. We shop together, we play the WII together, we go to the gym together. As a matter of fact, he is teaching me to swim. Now he is an avid baseball player and football player and he is an outdoor kid, so no worries there. The problem is when he goes to his dads. They eat fast food everyday and at home we don't do that. Anyway, like the others said, don't force anything on him, just do it with him, say hey, you wanna play some tennis on the wii, next thing you know you guys are having a ball!
Devsmama is offline   Reply With Quote