Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-29-2009, 04:04 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 160/160/115

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieJ08 View Post
I weigh every day *because* it makes it easier to handle the fluctuations, at least for me. I mean, with your case - to me there's a difference between a small but consistent increase in weight each day for a week vs a sudden bump up on one day. But with only a weekly weight, you won't know the difference. But, everyone is different. You have to do what saves your sanity, whichever way that is.
Amen to that! If I weigh once a week, I'm all paranoid about it... did I just weigh on a "low day" or a "high day"? Can I really believe that weight? Did I eat more sodium than I thought I did yesterday? It drives me insane.

I track my weight on www.physicsdiet.com ... they graph your actual weight, a moving average, and an overall trend line. Sure, you could do it yourself in Excel or something, but I'm lazy. You can also track your daily calories eaten and calories burned through exercise, and it somehow matches things up for you, but I haven't tried that yet.

Last edited by mayness; 05-29-2009 at 04:05 PM.
mayness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 04:06 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 217/179.6/140

Height: 5'4"

Ohhh, a spreadsheet! I never thought of that..............hmm I might try it just because I can! Thanks Mayness!
melwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 04:29 PM   #18  
4 suzy

S/C/G: 279/268/160

Height: 5'9"

I have weighed everyday in the past when I was on a "crash" diet. It was exciting seeing the pounds go down. Now I just weigh once a week because I am not losing as fast and I don't want to frustrate myself. I was with a program in the past as well that had you weigh only every 6 weeks. That was torture, but it was great to see the big numbers when you did weigh.
The one thing I know is bad is when I don't weigh because that means I am not on program and I don't want to see proof. I think there are no scale on the Nile

Last edited by the final countdown; 05-29-2009 at 04:31 PM.
the final countdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 04:36 PM   #19  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

I weigh daily and record and watch my trends. I tabulate weekly, monthly and then daily losses. One week I might have lost .6 lbs, the next 3.2, the next 5 and then the next 4.2... but if you average it's 13 a month and 3.25 a week which is what I expect.

It helps keep me accountable and sane
cfmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 04:45 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 318.9/ticker/165

Height: 6'

I weigh myself every day, but only record it once a week. I know that weight is going to fluctuate and I don't freak out when it does. It does cause me to really pay attention to how much water I'm drinking. I tend to slack in my water consumption and seeing the numbers on the scale go up motivates me to drink more water.
Skinnycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 05:49 PM   #21  

I'm like almost everyone else. I weigh daily- usually morning and night. I see about a 2 lb. fluctuation between my night weight (high) and my morning weight (lower).

I'd like to say that the fluctuations don't bother me at all but it's hard sometimes. Today I am up 2 lbs. from yesterday. I know why (water) but it's still hard to see the number go up because I had JUST broken into the next decade down on the scale. I'm sure it will be 'back' in a day or two- I've noticed I generally have to 'flirt' with the next number down for a few days (or longer) before it sticks solidly.

Still, I'd rather weigh more often so I can make adjustments. I'm drinking A LOT more water today and I chose a banana smoothie for breakfast in hopes of helping flush out the water weight in time for my 'official' weigh in on Monday. I only count my weight once a week in the official pounds lost thing.
bindersbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 06:45 PM   #22  

weight everyday is bad and you should stop doing it. You will drive yourself crazy doing that. If you are not seeing results from after a week or so, increase the intensity of your workout. Doing the same workout for a long time eventually loses it's effectiveness. I would weight no more than once a week.

Last edited by cwalker3; 05-29-2009 at 06:45 PM.
cwalker3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 07:01 PM   #23  
the fat snuck up on me

S/C/G: 176/159/145

Height: 5'3''

i weigh in once everyday because it makes me face my fatness and motivates me to do something about it. When I weighed in once a week, I would cheat more because I knew it would be awhile before I saw the effect on the scale and I could probably work it off before then.

Weighing in every day gives me something to look forward to in the mornings, especially if I know I was good the day before. Being healthy and working out is not something I absolutely love (i LOVE greasy food and the couch lol), so any positive thoughts are a good thing.
galaxia2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 07:01 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 198/128/138

Height: 5'7

I do but am aware that there are fluctuations. I know after 5 months the trend that my weight loss follows throughout the week.
amynbebes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 09:05 PM   #25  

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileHiMama View Post
I agree that weighing daily can make you crazy because of all of the fluctuations due to water weight but if you just weigh once a week then you risk weighing on a day that you're up and being depressed all week.
Pam, this is *exactly* what happened to me a few times. The day I record my weight is Friday, and it would often happen that I would be down on Thursday, but UP on Friday...but that's the day I had to record it! Now I weigh daily, and I have an Excel spreadsheet (I'm a geek) that I record my daily weight on. I made a graph, even, because I find it extremely motivating to see the graph go down. There are lots of little blips in the upward direction, but the trend is DOWN and it's really helpful for me to see that. So an "up" doesn't really bug me anymore, because I know it will be followed by a "down".

On Fridays, I take whichever is lower--Friday's weight, or the weekly average. At first I feared that was cheating, but then I remembered--it's MY graph! I can do it however I wish!

Lots of people choose not to weigh every day, though, so just do what is right for you. I have to weigh daily to keep myself motivated and on track, but that may not be what works best for you.
Windchime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 09:22 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 193/170/140

Height: 5'5"

I weigh daily. I know it will fluctuate but I would hate it if I only weighed in once a week and it just happened to be a day it was higher. I pay more attention to my home scale than the one at WW for that reason. I can see the general trend on my scale and not get discouraged by a high weight at weigh in.
Sheena41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 12:14 AM   #27  
Clawing my way back

S/C/G: 290/ticker/140

Height: 5'

I weigh daily as well, I take into account all the fluctuations and don't get upset by it.

It keeps me accountable. If it was, say, Tuesday, and my next weigh-in was the following Monday, I'd look at a piece of pizza and say, "well, I have 6 days to work it off". Wednesday, I'd look at KFC and say, "well, I have 4 days to work it off". Friday, I'd look at chocolate cake and say, "well, I have all weekend to work it off". Monday would roll around and I'd have a gain. I definitely think twice about what goes in my mouth when I have to account for it the next day, rather than the next week. But that's just me; everyone has their preferences.
Ookpik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 12:17 AM   #28  
thin girl in me wants out

S/C/G: 193/189/132

Height: 5'4"

I weigh every day because I'm horribly impatient. I'm trying my very best to change the weekly weighings!
gretchen1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 01:00 AM   #29  

Not me I used to weigh myself alot back in my late teens and I was borderline to skinny.I would get way to obsessive.I go by how the clothes are fitting
PinkVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 08:05 AM   #30  
No Fear

S/C/G: 294.6/294.6/280

Height: 5''3

I use to but it was BAD,BAD,BAD,for me. I guess because I am an obsessive person.I think that is 1 of
the reasons I gained so much.If it would fluctuate ,even though I knew it
was normal,I would be miserable all day.That would cause me to eat more. I find when I weight myself once a week,I do much better .And I stick to my plan more.
Tracy is offline   Reply With Quote