Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-21-2009, 07:33 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

Default Feeling so miserable

Here we are, three weeks into May, and I weigh exactly the same as I did on May 1st. I don't feel like I can handle this horrible feeling of failure that comes with this. And the worst part is,

I haven't done anything wrong!
I'm still eating the calories I'm supposed to, I'm more physically active if anything, I'm still taking my metformin.

It's just heartbreaking. I know a lot of people have gone through this, and you're going to want to tell me "It happens to everyone....suck it up" or "keep on keepin on," but what I need more than cheerful support is to hear about people who have been through this, and how they got through it.

So, how did you deal with your plateau, and keep your sanity? Also, I won't say no to any advice you have about getting out of it.

Thanks!
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 07:48 AM   #2  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hi! Your pictures look great!

When this has happened to me, I've given myself permission to consider no regain a win. That means, no regain within the range of water weight fluctuations, since as you know, that can mean a few pounds either direction.

So the fact that you weigh the same now as on May 1 is a WIN! You are doing everything right. It's OK. I once had a stall that lasted 3 weeks, followed by a 4-pound drop. I have no idea why. But it was OK.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 08:13 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 152/141/132

Height: 5.4

I am going through the same thing now. I seem to have stalled big-time. I can't really think of anything more that I can cut down/out. (Maybe it's fresh air that is making me plateau )

All I can say to you is that I am not giving up. Usually when this happens I give myself the excuse of " I need a break and I will start again on Monday" or some such. But I am not doing it this time... so really, we are in the same boat.
linniet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 08:40 AM   #4  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

The only stall I've had so far was the 17 days it took me to finally get beyond 200 and stop skipping up and down a pound. All that solved that was keeping on (sorry) and increasing my calories from 1200 to 1500.

Hugs and sympathy and maybe your body needs the break, you've lost so much already (well done).
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 08:41 AM   #5  
Back on the wagon

S/C/G: 205/162/125

Height: 5'1"

the thing that helped me was reading "break through your set point" - if nothing else, it makes you feel absolutely wonderful about maintaining a lower weight (as opposed to gaining.) the longer you stay at a lower weight, the easier it is to maintain it, even if you slip up here and there. if you continually lose and lose and lose, you actually make things harder on your body and yourself. HTH!
kuhljeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 09:23 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

I can't remember where I put Tom Venuto's book Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle, so I'm talking off the top of my memory here ...

He likes a two week trial. After two weeks with no loss or no change in body fat percentage or muscle gain ... he says you need to change something.

I consider that there are four aspects to gaining lean, shapely, fit slimness.
Portion size.
Quality of foods.
Active exercise.
Building a healthy muscle base.

How do you rate yourself on those? Can you find even one area that you could tweak?

What saves me, is knowing that there is always something else I can do.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 09:41 AM   #7  
nirvikalpa samadhi

S/C/G: 369.5/ticker/169.5

Height: 5'8"

So, how did you deal with your plateau, and keep your sanity?

I plateaued for about 3 months. I just kept focusing on the big picture, the end of the line. The final goal. I knew if I stayed focused and stayed on track I would get there, and that's far more important than any bumps or detours along the way. But yeah it's totally frustrating to be 100% on plan and not lose, I feel you.
DCHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 10:06 AM   #8  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Just another thought--you might review with your doctor what the Metformin is doing, and whether you still need to be taking it, or need the dose adjusted. Meds can sometimes affect these things.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 11:12 AM   #9  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Metformin did NOTHING for me so I got off of it and promptly lost another pound- GO FIGURE!

I was taking a tough class and was able to maintain my weight for the past few months- I'm glad I didn't gain it all back and starting this weekend it's time to get back into gear!

Try changing things up, change your workout routine or up calories slightly- you got to do something to break the plateau Our bodies get used to workouts after time
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 12:38 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 231/165/140

Height: 5'5"

I'm on a plateau right now, it does SUCK! I haven't lost anything for almost 3 weeks now either. I know it's prob because I haven't been doing as well as I know I can, but it's still annoying either way. I hit one before a few months back where I was stuck @ 189 for like 3-4 weeks... I just kept telling myself, try harder, keep your mind in the game & eventually it will break. It did eventually and I kept on losing. I know it doesn't make your situation any easier, but there isn't any other way to get threw it then to keep on trying!!! DO NOT GIVE UP!!! It will break eventually. You've already lost a significant amount of weight, your body is probably just taking a break for a few...
Extasee58865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 01:06 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 213/ticker/155

Height: 5'9"

I also haven't lost much over the last 3 weeks, and according to my calorie deficits I should have lost 3lbs. But I'm not worried, I know I'm doing what I need to do with food and exercise... I've actually ramped up my exercise quite a bit in the last 3 weeks, plus I haven't been drinking water like I should, so it's probably just water retention from being dehydrated plus tearing up new muscles with my new training plan. I know I'm getting stronger, and eating right, so eventually the scale will catch up. Maybe I'll take a couple of days to re-focus on drinking water so I can get it out of my system.

Wow, 90lbs lost, you're amazing!! I guess I'd say, tweak what you can in your plan to try to break the plateau, but don't get discouraged! You've already come SO far, and you will lose again, there's no question. Celebrate your progress so far, keep working hard, and don't let the number on the scale get you down!
jajabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 01:12 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 148/109/105

Height: 5'3

How about try to reduce your calorie intake by 150?? Maybe increase your workout by 10 minutes?

Hope you get out of your plateau soon!
Biju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 01:58 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 156/ticker/130

I can't believe you posted this today because I woke up this morning feeling the EXACT same way!! As much as this feeling sucks, it's so comforting knowing that we're all going through this together and that it's normal to have these ups and downs, both with weight and emotional status. This is the first day in my weight loss process that I've just felt so frustrated and almost defeated, but there's absolutely nothing that can make me give up my new lifestyle and that thought is basically the only thing keeping me going. This is my new life, so as I see it, I don't really have a choice about taking a break or not eating healthy because it's not even an option. I can probably regain all the weight I lost in the next week if I stop trying, and that's NOT happening, so I'm just gonna keep going. The weight's gotta follow right? I'll be thinking "light" thoughts for all of us today!
TakingCharge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 02:12 PM   #14  
Junior chick

S/C/G: 228/187/140

Height: 5'6

Hey Kelly,
I don't see failure here. I just don't. Look at the great work you've done so far. Our society demands instant gratification and sometimes that's not how life works. I can plant a seedling in the back yard and want it to grow 10' tall overnight, but that ain't happening! If I'm patient, if I continue to care for it and water it, in time it will be 10' tall. In time, you will reach your goal. Just never give up.
Peep Smith is offline   Reply With Quote