Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-13-2009, 04:43 PM   #16  
Journey Trekker

S/C/G: 253/164/150

Height: 5' 6"

Hey all, a newbie here...

Almost all of my friends are overweight, and my sister, who's my bff, is the most overweight of the bunch. She's never been a typical overweight person with the self-loathing that most of us can relate to. She knows being overweight is unhealthy, but she is not concerned with losing weight in the slightest. All of us other girls in the group are trying to whittle our frames down. Since i've made a noticable progress in that direction, the topic turns to health and weight loss much more than before. And my sister is starting to get completely annoyed with the topic. Then, when we see family we haven't seen in quite a while, they will make comments about the "new me", and I can just feel her eyes rolling in the back of her head. I don't think she's jealous, I think she's bored of the whole thing. She's got better things to talk about, and she's annoyed that we are always talking about that topic.

She told me that she thinks we don't love ourselves because we are always trying to change, and why can't we just accept ourselves. I tell her that I tried accepting myself at 253 pounds, but it never felt right. It felt like I had given up. It is love for myself that motivates me to take care of me now.

Anyway, both people change, not just the one that gets left in overweight land, and I think there are abandonement feelings too.
Ohdonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 06:35 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 245/ticker/150

Height: 5' 11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainy View Post
I'll talk from the other side, from the side of the jealous friend that broke off the relationship.

Something changed for me, but not with my loosing weight, just with my friend's loosing weight.
She got in shape before I even decided to, we've always been 'fatty' at school, when we were in the same class, but you know life divides people, I have started working in a field and a city completely different from hers, we started seeing eachothers always less, and everytime I kept on noticing how the differences between us were getting bigger. Not only a matter or weight, but also our clothing style, friends, preferences, just about everything. we were like twin sisters in high school and 5 years later we were completely opposite people, that was a bit shocking.
In the middle of it, I was very down on my weight, and I felt I could do nothing about it. Instead, she picked up her butt and put off the pounds, I think the last time I had seen her I was about 210 and she must have been about 140, not quite the same, she was talking all the time about clothes, stiletto heels and whatever, I didn't feel able to tell anything in that conversation, I couldn't fit anywhere, and kept on wearing the same old pair of jeans because that was the only one that fit. I had not the same choice of clothes she had, I didn't fit anywhere, everything I tried on couldn't fit me, I couldn't feel sexy as much as she did as well, in a while I felt we had nothing to share anymore. More, talking to her was continuously putting me in a worst place, if I was depressed, after talking to her I'd be suicidal, felt a complete failure. I'm glad it's over, with her and with my 210 pounds.
We separated out ways, not bad I guess, if we didn't 'click' anymore, but yes that's a demonstration that weight can influence a friendship.
Rainy, you rock.
Findmyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 08:57 AM   #18  

Bumping this old thread because i have been dealing with this.
Seems like females in my life have been really supportive up until my current weight. (where i have gotten thinner than/same size as some of them.) I can just tell by the looks on their faces...comments like "you are too skinny..your're disappearing..." Seems like they wanted me to lose...just not be smaller than them. I've always been the fattest one and now i'm in the middle of the pack. Weird how the reactions are changing.
nuumite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:05 AM   #19  
walkin'the dogs

S/C/G: 231/ 173/ 140

Height: 5ft 7"

In peoples little "group/pack" of mates, often theres a funy one, a rude one, a shy one, a fat one etc etc, things shiftwith weight loss & sometimes you dont even fit into your Hole anymore, suddenly you are more suited to a hole someone else is already in! Esp if your confidence grows & your hobbies change!
Mishflynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:40 AM   #20  

S/C/G: 264/202/163

Height: 5'4"

Not sure that I can answer your question directly... but I can tell you as you are more interested in healthful eating and fitness... you may "outgrow" some friendships because they will not share those interests. You are changing how you manage your daily life and either those friendships will adjust or realistically you may not have as much in common.
stacygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 01:29 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 195/130/135

Height: 5'4"

When I was fat and a friend or acquaintance lost a significant amount of weight and was looking great, I was envious. But in the "boy, I wish I looked like that" kinda way. But I would never have sabotaged them or gotten annoyed at them or anything of that nature. I might have been guilty of not wanting to go out much.....but I didn't want to go out in public in general, no matter who was with me.

There's a difference between being envious and being resentful. Being resentful of a friend who lost weight hints of having some serious issues to me.

So the question is not..."was the person ever really your friend?" It's more like "do you really want to have a friend with some serious issues?"

deena
Deena52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:32 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 200+/151/125

Height: 5'7"

I've had it work both ways for me. Two friends I have who are quite small (at my highest I probably weighed almost as much as the two of them put together!) and very into shopping, laying out at the beach, and fashion. They were always extremely complimentary and tried to get me to do things with them, but I was always bitter and being nasty and sarcastic if we were doing something that made me self conscious about my weight. I was a size 12/14, so yeah, I could shop at some of their stores, but I always felt that everything looked terrible on me, and I was just squeezing into the largest size the place had. And going to clubs/the beach was just a nightmare!

Now that I've lost weight and gotten more in shape, we all get along so much better! They are so happy for me, and I can go shopping with them and be a 6 or an 8, even if it's not their 0's and 2's, I don't feel so bad about it anymore. I still have problem areas in a bikini, but I'm not adverse to going out and having fun anymore. I think my attitude change brought me closer to them.

On the other hand, I have a very old friend from jr. high who has been extremely weird since the weight loss. She was never super thin, but she is blessed with the most charismatic personality ever, so she's used to being the center of attention, even in high school when I was a lot thinner than her. Now, she feels down on herself constantly because she had a baby and just kept gaining weight from there. She's stressed because she's a single mom, and I can definitely relate to her about struggling to lose weight. She'll say I look great, but it's almost like she's forcing herself to say it. She's been talking about me behind my back lately, too, and she has NEVER done that. It's a hard situation, but I am blaming it on her own insecurities, which I myself have had in the previous situation! So yeah, empathize with your friends but don't let them bring you down or outright sabotage your efforts!
bellona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:52 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 164/see ticker/125

Height: 5 feet even

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieJ08 View Post
Rainy, that was a very honest post, and I think a valuable one. I think we focus a lot in these forums on some pretty high ideals, which is great, but for every one person who actually posts their real experience and feelings, I think there are hundreds who don't - and therefore end up feeling like they're the only one.

If we lose a friend when we lose weight, it may be because it's too painful for them, or lots of other reasons. But I do think there's a difference between what you described, and being outright rude or sabotaging toward a friend. That's a choice.
I know this is an old post, but I very much agree with that too.

I think sometimes we see how people change around us when WE lose weight, but we do fail to realize how much we are changing too.

Perhaps not deliberately, but still it's bound to happen. We are caught up in our successes and how great it feels to be making these positive changes.

There is a reason that 'birds of a feather flock together'. In our changing, we tend to start to gravitate to those that have similar current interests, and away from those whose current goals do not match our own.

Sometimes our friends aren't abandoning us . . . sometimes we are leaving them in the dust without realizing it.
Katydid77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 11:21 PM   #24  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katydid77 View Post

There is a reason that 'birds of a feather flock together'. In our changing, we tend to start to gravitate to those that have similar current interests, and away from those whose current goals do not match our own.

Sometimes our friends aren't abandoning us . . . sometimes we are leaving them in the dust without realizing it.
I'm glad this old post was bumped, I've enjoyed reading it. What rainy said really made me think. I had a good friend of mine lose a significant amount of weight some years ago. I was also losing at the time but I didn't lose nearly as much as her (she started quite a bit heavier and ended up thin, whereas I ended up slightly overweight still).

We're still friends to this day, although, we've moved away from each other so it's not quite the same thing but I could tell even at that time the dynamic between us changed. She talked about her weight loss non-stop. I know she was overweight her whole life so it was a huge change for her but it was also overwhelming for me at times too.

Another thing I struggled with was that she was in a relationship with a guy who was very obsessed with her weight (as in he wanted her thin) and I was genuinely worried she was losing for the wrong reasons.

I never intentionally tried to sabotage her but like I said I just wasn't as committed to weight loss at that time so I'm sure I probably asked her to go out to eat to places she shouldn't have. I honestly can't remember! It definitely wasn't intentional on my part but me just living my life at that time.

I think it's important to think of it from both sides and ask yourself is the friend is really sabotaging you or if they just want to eat foods that they like? Granted, this is coming from someone who had a friend with a nut allergy and I kept trying to offer her nutella (I seriously kept forgetting she was allergic to nuts). I'm someone who likes people to be pretty upfront with me because I forget things easily/am not always completely socially aware so if I was doing anything to upset a friend who was losing weight I'd want them to tell me.
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 12:47 AM   #25  
One with the Wind and Sky

S/C/G: 360/246/150

Height: 5' 8"

I made a post a while back on how a friend popped up on IM that I hadn't seen in person for a long time (we live in different countries now). We've both struggled with weight issues and used to diet and exercise together when we both worked at the same place. Anyway, she mentioned losing some weight, and since she brought up the subject, I mentioned how much I'd lost since I'd last seen her (which ended up being four times the amount she had). She suddenly had to go and I didn't hear from her again for months.

That was hard on me. I wasn't trying to make a comparison with her or do anything to make her feel bad, and I don't like to think of weight loss as a competition.

Yet at the same time I think about a high school friend that I got in contact with again when my father died since I was returning to my hometown. She mentioned on the phone that I might not recognize her when I saw her since she'd had gastric bypass. I was at my highest weight at the time (hadn't seen her in a good five years) and felt so horribly ashamed around her. We met at a bar and all she wanted to do was hit the dance floor, which was the last thing I felt comfortable doing at 360 pounds.

I hate to think that weight puts us in different places, but that often seems the case. I'm sure I was a downer in high school (and beyond) simply because it was so hard to relate to the girls that yapped endlessly about the clothes I felt I'd never fit into.
Elladorine is offline   Reply With Quote