Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-29-2009, 10:55 AM   #16  
Coloradomom

S/C/G: 147/142/135

Height: 5'4"

I think that planning is the key to success. Plan what you will eat and get those things readily available the day or night before so you know what you will do when tempted. I once heard on t.v. that a guy changed his route that he drove to work to avoid the fast food places that he liked to stop at. Eating late at night is o.k. as long as you stop eating a few hours before you go to bed. My husband has to eat at night, because he stays up to about midnight, and if he doesn't leave some calories for his evening eating, then he would eat everything instead of something planned. I make sure to buy healthy 90 calorie snacks and keep them in the house for him. Try chewing gum, and having water available- sometimes we are thirsty, when we think we are hungry. Put a good CD in on the way to and from work to sing to, to keep your mind off of food.
frustrated mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 11:24 AM   #17  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

I don't know if it is that important to eat the last meal a few hours before going to bed. Different sources provide controversial information. I sometimes eat fairly late myself, perhaps only an hour before I go to bed. If I was staying up late I would need a second dinner myself. If you don't go to bed until, say, at midnight, why not have a meal at 10 or 10:30? Personally, I believe it matters more is the quantity (and quality, of course) of what I consume in a day then sticking to a schedule that may conflict with my biological one.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 12:11 PM   #18  

Height: 5'3"

I don't drive so I cannot help you there but I did have problems with nighttime eating so around 11 pm I have a small protein snack and it helps me get through the night without eating.

Last edited by canadianwoman; 04-29-2009 at 12:12 PM. Reason: typo
canadianwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 12:19 PM   #19  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

I too have had both problems. Many years of unsuccessful dieting I struggled with the going to bed hungry concept. I always wanted something to eat around 9 or 10pm and on all failed diets I would force myself to conform to "dieting rules 101".

Once I decided not to fight my demons and work with them instead I found that having a good snack in the evenings is the BEST thing for me. Not a huge meal like I ate when I didn't care, but a nice fruit and/or yogurt snack that satisfies me. Grapes and melon are really good this time of year. I have lost 164 pounds by eating right before bed time. Don't listen to the old wives tales of nothing after 7 or whatever. Do what works.

Driving/riding wasn't hard as a child because my dad was a car freak and we were not allowed to eat in his fancy cars, BUT starting about college I found what fun it was to buy a 20 piece chicken nugget meal and eat on the long drive home from the U. My hubby is also a big eating at the wheel kind of guy, so it was a easy bad habit to pick up. We go into the city every weekend to help dh's elderly parents out and it's a lot of time in the car...so I always pack a bag. 2 apples, a yogurt and carrot sticks. Sometimes I eat it all, sometimes none, but I know it's there and it has saved me from poor choices countless times. Hubby has also requested I pack some extra fruit for him, so miracles do happen.

Last edited by Lori Bell; 04-29-2009 at 12:31 PM.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote