Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-22-2009, 04:20 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

Default The Rollercoaster-ride of weight loss

This is for every one who is tired of seeing the scale bounce up and down constantly: this is my weight chart, and you can see that even the biggest jumps turn out to be normal. I can also see that the weeks before I have my tom, I'm almost always stalled, then I drop quickly. It's a real relief to see it, and I would recommend to any of you to make one.

I keep track of my weight in a spreadsheet on my computer, so it's fairly easy to graph it and see just how non-linear weight loss is. This chart is over the last six months, so it's getting less rigid looking the longer time passes.

kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 07:31 PM   #2  

This is awesome! I'm definitely going to make one of my own.
Viatre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 07:47 PM   #3  

Kelly-You are doing great!!!You go girl!!!
harrismm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 07:47 PM   #4  
Closed

S/C/G: 244/165/137

Height: 5' 7"

Thanks for sharing your graph. There is a free online weight graph you can try at fridgegraph dot com -- it is absolutely free, and lets you graph your loss quickly. I don't work there, and it isn't for sale, and I'm a junior member, so if this is inappropriate to do, then just delete this and let me know!!!
I'll try to keep up the same positive attitude that you have and I guess I need to go to the store to buy some PATIENCE!!!!

Kira
kiramira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 12:45 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 307/lost 140+ lbs/125

Great idea! It's pretty dang inspirational! Thanks for the tips!

~ tea
teawithsunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 11:31 AM   #6  

Height: 5' 8"

That's awesome. How did you create this? Was it on Excell? Please explain...I want to try it too!
Moonlight Mistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 05:45 AM   #7  
nil

S/C/G: 145/145/180

Height: 6'0"

fourmilab.ch/hackdiet/online/hdo.html (can't post links)

They have a weight loss recording thing that does a moving average (say, the last four values averaged together). Seems pretty decent and doesn't require much effort.
nil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 06:09 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 224/ticker/150

Height: 5'7"

Well done, you're making such good progress!

Like you, I started recording my weight every day on a spreadsheet so that I could plot that onto a graph and see the general trend. I've found it really helps me not worry about any small gains and fluctuations, because you can see the overall pattern of the weight decreasing. I've been doing it for a month so it's not as dramatic as yours, but it looks really similar in the way that there are plenty of minor fluctuations!

I also found it helped me be honest about my weight. I used to never record a fluctuation up, and just record the lowest weight that I was at, as though I was pretending the number never increased on the scales. I don't do this anymore. Admitting to small gains by recording them on my chart has helped me not worry about fluctuations as I can really see now that it's a totally normal part of my weight loss, and I no longer feel so disheartened by it.
tinycities is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 08:34 AM   #9  
XOXO

S/C/G: 268/249/145

That really puts things into perspective...thanks for sharing
Devsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 09:40 AM   #10  
Ija
Extra gluten

S/C/G: 286/135/135

I'm glad this thread was bumped. I think people need to see this. It's so easy to get discouraged when the numbers on the scale don't drop every day. And despite the fact that the maintainers keep repeating the mantra that weight loss isn't linear, it's important for the folks who are just starting out (or experiencing their own bumpy ride or plateau) to see what that really looks like. Thanks Kelly!
Ija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 09:58 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 184/Ticker/150

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drina View Post
I'm glad this thread was bumped. I think people need to see this. It's so easy to get discouraged when the numbers on the scale don't drop every day. And despite the fact that the maintainers keep repeating the mantra that weight loss isn't linear, it's important for the folks who are just starting out (or experiencing their own bumpy ride or plateau) to see what that really looks like. Thanks Kelly!
This was exactly me yesterday (frustrated) and then today, the scale dropped 5 lbs! I'm going to start my graph today! Thank you!!!!!
firefliesandpixies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 10:51 AM   #12  
Heidi

S/C/G: 204.5/149/153

Height: 5'7"

I keep a graph, too. Well, I'll admit to being a little bit quantitatively overboard, and I keep 3 graphs: One like Kelly's that show's the daily weights along with the 7-day moving average, one that shows just the weekly loss (ie, my weight every Monday), and one that shows just the monthly loss (ie, my weight on the 10th of every month.

Graphing is a great way to stay motivated!
newleaf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 11:40 AM   #13  
mtiger

S/C/G: 251.5/177/145

Wink

Kelly- Great job. I also graph my losses at caloriecount.com. It really does help to look at our progress this way. You keep up the good work.
mtiger is offline   Reply With Quote