Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-19-2009, 07:44 PM   #1  
Stop the EXCUSES

S/C/G: 220/179/145

Height: 5ft 5in

Default Ravenous after working out?

I was just wondering if anyone has experienced being ravenous after a workout? I have been told that the reason that I am so hungry is because my metabolism is working but I don't know if I am buying that... by the way can you even tell if your metabolism is actually working? I am looking forward to all of your responses. Thanks guys.
faronica1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 07:47 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 169/141/123

Height: 5'6"

Default hey

I usually have a light snack if I am hungry before I work out because it motivates me to burn it off and it gives me more energy. I am usually not hungry after a workout and this might be the reason. Listen to your body though because if your stomach is grumbling then eat! this is somewhat of an advantage because if you eat protein right after you work out it benefits your muscles even more.

Mini goal by March 31st, 2009
jooanie24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 07:48 PM   #3  
Work in progress

S/C/G: 165/ticker/120???

Height: 5'2"

I am always starving after a workout too. Personally, if my body is telling me it needs food, I give it food. I try to eat a little carbs and a little protein after a workout. For example, today I mixed 1/2 cup of low fat cottage cheese with a mashed banana.... mmmm, total yumminess.
LittleMoonRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 07:55 PM   #4  
Stop the EXCUSES

S/C/G: 220/179/145

Height: 5ft 5in

Thanks Joanie for your response. I usually eat some oatmeal for breakfast right before I work out. I do not like to exercise on an empty stomach. I have thought about getting some kind of appetite suppressant for this problem. I am so baffled by this. I feel like my workouts are for nothing if i just come home and eat back all the calories that I have burned off at the gym.
faronica1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 08:01 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

Your workout isn't for nothing, even if the calories burned and eaten are a wash. By building muscle, not only will you look buff, but you will raise your BMR since muscle burns a lot more calories 24/7 than fat. Not to mention the health benefits!

I am also sometimes ravenous after working out. Making sure you stay hydrated can help. Have a good drink after if not during. Also, maybe you can divide up your pre-exercise meal and eat a little before and a little after?

Last edited by yoyoma; 03-19-2009 at 08:02 PM.
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 08:14 PM   #6  
Reached Goal Sept 11/09

S/C/G: 228/135

Height: 5'4"

I am always starving after exercise, so I just plan that into my day. I lifted weights first thing this morning, so I had a small breakfast before, and then had a small breakfast after. I stay within my calories for the day, but still give my body what it needs.

I agree that a combo of carbs/protein is a great idea for an "after workout" snack.

Peace, Heather
MrsWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 08:52 PM   #7  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

So then eat- if you really are ravenous then it's your bodies cue to eat.

Try drinking a glass of water though- sometimes thirst can be mistaken for hunger.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 09:35 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 345/282/200

Height: 5'8"

I always work up an appetite when I work out so knowing this I eat something really light before I work out and afterwards I can hold off until my next meal which is usually lunch because I try and work out in the mornings before the YMCA gets crowded.
flatiron is offline   Reply With Quote