Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-15-2009, 05:36 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 289/278.8/155

Height: 5'7"

I just know that the more water/liquid I drink, the more regular I am (I eat high protein low carb so this is important) and the less I retain water and swell up in the heat, so for me these are important factors....and I do feel fuller and more satisfied, especially if I am just looking for flavor in my mouth over food in my stomach..
Scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 05:48 PM   #17  

Quote:
The only thing that everyone agrees on- it's bad to be dehydrated.
And one doesn't generally need to be swigging gallons of water a day to be hydrated.
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 06:22 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 345/282/200

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaMaria View Post
And one doesn't generally need to be swigging gallons of water a day to be hydrated.
I have read that the average person needs 6 ozs of water a day to replace the fluids we lose. If we eat normal meals we get 4 ozs of water from the food we eat.

So we really need far less than 8 ozs a day but I guess it doesn't hurt to drink it.
flatiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 08:36 PM   #19  
Here We Go Again

S/C/G: 256 / TICKER / 140

Height: 5'3"

Do I think it's the secret? No. But it does help. It makes me fuller and if I drink enough when I eat something high in sodium, my weight doesn't rise 10lbs over night!
WormwoodDoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 08:11 AM   #20  

S/C/G: 199/160/149

Height: 5.5

I don't think it is the only secret but I certainly do think it helps.

Burning excess fat is a job that is supposed to be done by your liver. If your liver is not doing it's work it could simply be the result of not giving your kidneys enough good clean waster. Metabolising fat is actually something that the liver does when it converts stored fat to energy. The livers secondary job is to help the kidneys. If your not properly hydrated the liver must continually help the kidneys and therefore not be able to flush out fat.
Do yourself a favor and get at least 64 oz of water a day and if you like to drink caffeinated drinks you need an extra 8 oz of water for every 8 oz of caffeinated beverage.

I spent some time looking this stuff up. It's just the science of how our bodies work.

Last edited by maryshady; 02-16-2009 at 08:12 AM.
maryshady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 06:22 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryshady View Post
Do yourself a favor and get at least 64 oz of water a day and if you like to drink caffeinated drinks you need an extra 8 oz of water for every 8 oz of caffeinated beverage.

I spent some time looking this stuff up. It's just the science of how our bodies work.
Mary -- I'm curious as to the research you've found on caffeinated beverages. The recent research I have seen suggests that caffeine is not the diuretic people used to think it was. Some people do initially experience some diuretic (flushing) effects when they first start drinking caffeine, but after a few weeks, it goes away.

Here's a link that explains it:
http://www.beverageinstitute.org/hea...feine_qa.shtml

And a quote:
"The expert panel for the 2004 DRI report on water and electrolytes carefully reviewed the existing scientific literature related to caffeine and hydration, including a number of newer studies published within the past decade. They determined there was sufficient scientific evidence finding that caffeine-containing beverages do not increase 24-hour urine volume in healthy individuals compared to other beverages and that caffeinated beverages appear to contribute to the body's daily total water intake in amounts similar to that contributed by non-caffeinated beverages. In other words, the common belief that caffeinated beverages don't contribute to hydration is a myth."

Last edited by Heather; 02-16-2009 at 06:25 PM.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 07:04 PM   #22  
Joggernaut

S/C/G: 172/165

Height: 5'2

Actually, a couple years ago I didn't change any habit, except to drink 100 oz of water a day. I did it for 2 weeks and lost 5 lbs.. but then I didn't keep it up.

It's possible that all that water drinking curbed my appetite or prevented me from drinking beverages that did have calories. I just remember peeing nonstop and feeling really good.
joyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 11:18 AM   #23  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Height: 5'6"

Me personally--it is an important part of my program. I tend to retain water like crazy, and it is worse on the days where my fluid consumption is low. I feel the difference on the days I do it versus not doing it.

It's all in what you believe.
Jen415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 11:22 AM   #24  
Sandy....

S/C/G: 270/207.8/155

Height: 5'5

I always wondered about water myself. They say many times when you 'think' your hungry, your body is actually thirsty for water.
mygritsconfessions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 12:54 PM   #25  
On my way to a size 10!

S/C/G: 236/see ticker/150

Height: 5'8"

I have read up on some of this and it is suggested that if you drink dark colored beverages (such as coffee, coke (soda pop, pop, whatever you wanna call it) & thick beverages) that you should match the amount with water. It helps prevent urinary/bladder problems. Nothing really to do with the weight issue, but just an FYI for those of us who have frequent bladder/UTI's.

This is a really great topic to bring up. There are so many people who say drink water...as much as you can. The facts laid out are, drinking water is better for you than drinking a coke or coffee, but don't guzzle it. Just drink enough to stay hydrated. Stay away from the sugar!

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE LOVE LOVE my coffee , but I make darn sure I get my 80 oz of water a day (64oz regular & 16oz to replace the 16oz of coffee I drink). I feel fuller longer and I don't get cotton mouth at night.
SamanthaJubilee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 01:08 PM   #26  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

I think it will always be up for debate simply because it works for some and not others, but with me a certainly feel better when I exclusively drink water. It fends off bloating, keeps me from snacking and promotes well-being. I also think being well hydrated affects my energy level and stamina during workouts, too.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 01:24 PM   #27  
Starting Over

S/C/G: 255/255/155

Height: 5'7"

Personally, if I am drinking my 80+ ounces a day that I plan on, I lose weight each week. If I do everything else (eat right & exercise) but skip out on the water intake I stall out. So it most definitely helps me.

I believe that most research suggests drinking a glass of water for every soda/coffee because of the amount of sodium in these drinks, not because of the caffeine.

When your body tells you that you are thirsty, you are already in the beginning stages of dehydration. So I don't think waiting to be thirsty is a great idea if you are trying to keep your body balanced.

Will water help you lose weight? Maybe, maybe not. But you are doing a great service to your body keeping it hydrated. We put oil in our cars to keep them running smoothly, right? So what is the big deal about drinking water? It just makes sense to me.
cakses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 01:29 PM   #28  
FB

I think it would most definitely make a difference if you were in the habit of drinking calories - sugared sodas, calorie laden coffee drinks and juices. Just upping the water intake would presumably knock some of the other beverages out and create a deficit.

I never drank many calories, always had diet pop or plain tea and can't say it's made a substantial difference with my loss. However, it has a wonderful effect on my skin, appetite and general well being!
FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 01:46 PM   #29  

Personally I've noticed that upping the water ELIMINATES cravings. On the days where I've had 8 glasses of water before 7:00 I've yet to give in to any food urges. So yeah I do think of it as the "magic bullet." Definitely better than any diet pill! And yet some days I still don't take the time to hydrate properly.

IMO I think many food cravings are kind of, you're confusing your body's feeling of dehydration with wanting sugar or carbs.

Last edited by K8-EEE; 02-17-2009 at 01:46 PM.
K8-EEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 01:48 PM   #30  

In this way I think Diet Coke is "fattening..." In that instead of water which is truly hydrating you are taking the water in effect with dehydrating chemicals -- it's displacing the water you should be drinking.

I'm definitely doing better without the DC although, I guess a little of it wouldn't hurt. ALL the "diet Coke addicts" I know, who pop cans of the stuff all day, are fat. I mean....ALL of them.
K8-EEE is offline   Reply With Quote