Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-13-2009, 06:57 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 145/Don't weight often/130

Height: 5'6

I don't mean to harp on the therapy thing but I know a lot of people have the image of you must be crazy or weak or whatever to go see a counsellor but it's really not like that. All it is, is an objective, non judgemental, confidential third party to listen to you talk. Really that's it, you can talk about whatever you want, they won't push you to talk about things you aren't comfortable with.

You might find some freedom in having a neutral person to talk to about your life. I know counselling can make people uncomfortable so I don't mean to push....I just want to suggest giving it a try just once, the worst that can happen is you hate it and then you know for sure it's not for you!
cooperistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 03:04 AM   #17  
Mens sana in corpore sano

S/C/G: 165/121/120ish

Height: 5'2 (157 cm)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm177 View Post
As for therapy I don't think I'm ready for that. I've never admitted to anyone that I had a problem. I've tried to talk about eating issues with friends a few times and they gave me a negative attitude about it, saying I would have no idea what's it like to deal with weight or eating and that I should stop complaining etc etc. I've never actually told anyone about my problem because it's so NOT me. I see myself as a strong smart independent person. I feel like anyone knowing how bad my problem really is would completely destroy my credibility.
I hope I'm not going over the top regarding that, and if I am, I apologize, because my intention is not to be hurtful. But regarding your words about therapy, I wonder if maybe that wouldn't be part of the problem. I too have a similiar attitude (seeing myself as strong, admitting such a weakness is so not me, admitting it to friends would destroy my credibility...). But even though it sounds cheesy, being strong is also being able to acknowledge when we need help at some point. I had to do that last year. After months of engaging in binging behaviours, I knew I just couldn't go on like this, and it was actually less terrifying to talk about this to a total stranger than to a friend; at least, if the stranger were to judge me, I wouldn't know anything about it, or I could just walk away and never see him/her again, and it wouldn't impede my daily relationship with a friend. Or something like this.

I'm not saying you *have* to try therapy, of course, but I think questioning a little that part about not wanting to admit/show weakness (well, I suppose posting here is already part of it, actually) can be a good thing. Why? Because these feelings may run parallel to a 'black and white', 'all-or-nothing' vision, which in turn can contribute to such problems with the dieting mentality.

As for how to go out of that mentality... Uhm... I can only talk about my personal experience here, so if it may help... Actually what I did was to walk away from 3FC and from any other place related to 'dieting' (don't mistake me, this forum and website is pretty good, but I couldn't stand seeing posts about dieting, meal plans, losing/gaining weight, etc. anymore for a while). I also picked up a couple of books about and overeating (J. Hirschmann & C. Munter are pretty good: lots of sensible things, and help to get rid of the feelings of guilt). I'm not saying it's perfect. I still have to deal with the remnants of that overeating disorder, I still remember the caloric intake of many foods, and I'm still careful with some of them; for instance I always weigh my rice and pasta, although I don't count anything any more in terms of fruits/veggies/fish/meat. But at least, I think I've managed to break the binging streak before it became too much and turned to something really dangerous.

Now what's worked for me may not work for you. Anyway, intuitive eating seems a good and sensible plan in any case, so if you feel it will be a good thing, by all means, go for it.
Kery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 10:39 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Sweetie, at 114 pounds you are not overweight. Having said that , in order to maintain your loss you do need to be concerned about calories and think about what you will eat. There is no such thing as stopping a diet and forgetting about what you are going to eat, not if you don't want to regain.I find that I would rather be aware of these things than have to start all over again. Counting calories is preferable to having to wear extra large clothing.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote