Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-28-2009, 09:14 PM   #16  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

You should be thrilled with your incredible weight loss. You've done a fantastic job. I would definitely agree that it is time to get into some strength training. I am shocked how much smaller I am now then 20+ years ago, before I gained the weight. Shocked. Don't wait for the gym. Go and get yourself some resistance bands, like the others have said. After you give it some time, I think you will be very pleased.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 11:44 PM   #17  
Hug a Tree!

Height: 4'9"

Maybe you could try adding in weight training and walking 45 minutes instead of 30 minutes. And switch up the calories to 1400 and then back down again?
LandonsBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 03:42 AM   #18  
busty nerd

S/C/G: 210/206/133

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schumeany View Post
I also just do body weight exercises, like crunches, push-ups, leg lifts, squats, lunges, etc. I do a thirty minute full body workout 3X a week -- nothing crazy, but I have really nice abs!
that sounds doable, could you post a detailed version of what to do?
froggie83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 08:37 AM   #19  

If you stay at 143lbs on 1,300 cals a day, how little would you have to eat to stay at 1,200? Wouldn't that be pretty miserable..like for life?!?! I ate about 2,200/day when I was maintaining 145lbs (now about 138lbs, I think...don't have scales anymore but I know I'm smaller) and I'm 5ft 7ins...try upping the calories?

Last edited by CousinRockingChair; 01-29-2009 at 08:38 AM.
CousinRockingChair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 08:55 AM   #20  
Begin againer

S/C/G: 235.6/221.6/185

Height: 5'7"

Find happiness in something other than your weight.
forme01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 09:10 AM   #21  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

I have to agree, 1300 cals seemed so little. I couldn't live on that for long. I think upping calories, adding especially some healthy fats ( I guess fish oil is out for a vegan, but epo and olive oil would help) and increasing exercise intensity with some weight training.
I expect that some of the body change you are looking for is as Shumeany says, not weight oriented but fitness oriented.
good luck
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 09:16 AM   #22  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

I understand your frustration, but after I read Lori Bell's reply I scrolled up to your post to check your height and current weight, and I have to agree with what other ladies have said.
I typically see (in magazines, etc.) women around 140 lbs that are 5'4" tall - you are almost three inches taller. I don't know how old you are but 120 lbs does seem a bit low for your height.
But, why don't you join in the Weight and Resistance Training forum for a Body For Life challenge? It is a 12 week challenge and I bet if you do you your weight will drop significantly and you will build some muscles.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 10:29 AM   #23  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by forme01 View Post
Find happiness in something other than your weight.
This is BRILLIANT. Just what I was going to say. If your happiness depends on you getting to goal, you could be in for a miserable life. Your body may have something totally different in mind!
Jen415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 10:50 AM   #24  

S/C/G: 196/160/125

Height: 5'5"

I understand what you're saying about wanting to be 120 at your height. I wanted to get to 130 at my height and was just about there but wasn't really happy about it. Alot of people at work thought that if i lost much more weight...i would look too thin and ill. What they didn't know is that underneath my clothes, was a fat blob still. I think weight training may be the answer for us both. I still need to lose some weight...i don't want to be in the 150's. I will be pretty much happy if i can get back down to 130 and tone up my fat....or rather my muscles and lose the fat surrounding them. So, my suggestion is to try weight training. And with weight training you may drop another ten pounds but besides that...you may drop some much wanted inches.

Oh and by the way, i checked out your progress pics and you are such a beautiful girl. Even overweight you were beautiful but at the weight you are now...i think you're a knock out!!!

Hang in there and try the weights. I'm going to give it at least 6 weeks and see what changes i can notice.
lumifan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 11:20 AM   #25  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/150

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovelypurple View Post
AGHHH!!!!

I'm so freaking frustrated.

I've been actively trying to lose weight since September 2006. It is now January 2009 and I still haven't reached my GW yet.

I just want this to be over with! I want to be happy with my body!!

It's 23 lbs away. That's it.

I KNOW I can do this. I've lost 90 so far. I'm just tired of getting nowhere.

I maintained last summer, and now I've been trying to lose weight since September and I haven't lost ANYTHING.

Blahhh. I'm just whining, sorry.

you have come so far and are such an inspiration. You've done wonderful.
Smiling_Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 01:30 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 234/154.4/120

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen415 View Post
This is BRILLIANT. Just what I was going to say. If your happiness depends on you getting to goal, you could be in for a miserable life. Your body may have something totally different in mind!
I am happy with my life, I truly am. I'm married to a wonderful man, I've found my passions in life, I'm not afraid to do things that I enjoy.

It's just frustrating that I've been doing this for so long and that I havn't gotten to where I want to be yet. Like I've said previously, it doesn't really matter to me what weight I am... I'm just uncomfortable with the way my body looks. All numbers aside.

I'm definitely going to take the weight training suggestions. Does anybody have a book or a website they can recommend to get me started?

I'm also going to start upping my calories and see how that goes.

Thanks so much for your help and encouragement ladies. I know I can always count on you guys for a reality check.
FreeSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 02:58 PM   #27  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

Melissa - I think you will be absolutely thrilled with the changes you will see in your body with strength training. You may not lose another pound, but strength and definition will change your shape for the better!

I would recommend Brad Schoenfeld's "Body Sculpting for Women". He trains women exclusively and I love his books. Don't be afraid of the weights and you will be rewarded. You won't bulk up, don't ever worry about that.
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 04:13 PM   #28  
FB

I understand your frustration!

In agreement regarding weight lifting. It will lend a whole new perspective to how you view and appreciate your body. It has been invaluable to me in placing less importance on the scale and understanding body composition (although honestly, I still get really angry at the scale!).

My trainer explained to me, when I first started seeing her - that I could do all of the cardio in the world - but I would just end up a smaller version of my current self. She went on to say that bodybuilding is just that, building it, shaping it and really working it. The idea of a higher metabolism, allowing me to eat more also greatly appealed!

Anyhow, I've really been finding peace with my body, the way it looks and my weight lately. It's zen like in the weights room, to catch myself admiring myself rather than to criticize myself. I still have a ways to go with my body fat percentages - yep, but this ride is less bumpy than before I discovered weightlifting.

To get started you could do a trainer a few times, check out magazines like Oxygen for ideas, I have a book called 'The Body Sculpting Bible for Women' that illustrates exercises in an easy to understand manner. I also go to bodybuilding.com and download little exercise demos for my iPod, to try out while I'm at the gym. Huge wealth of information on the web! Try Stumptous.com as well.

Best of luck, and here's to you finishing what you set out to do!
FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 12:09 PM   #29  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

1300 calories and vegan? What are the specifics of your nutrition? How many grams of protein, carbs, and fat do you normally take? Supplements? B12 is essential. It's easy to lose weight on a vegan diet BUT vegan can be very unhealthy if your calories are not balanced. It's not just calories in/calories out. I think the calories are too low as well.

I used to be vegan and although I thought I was eating healthy, my balance of protein/carbs/fats were not what they should have been. I was at 109lbs and I didn't have much muscle at all. Check out veganbodybuilding on google and check out that forum. You can get sick from a vegan diet if you don't do it properly.
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 02:24 PM   #30  
Grasshopper

S/C/G: 197/117/100

Height: 4'10"

I, too, can relate. Between September 2007 to April 2008, I lost 50 pounds. Then I hovered, right around 145, up until this January. It was awful. Now the pounds are sloooowly starting to come off again, but it is a struggle.

What I wanted to add, is that, at a recent trip to my doc, I shared with him my goal weight, which at 4' 10" seemed quite reasonable. He pointed out, though, since I was quite heavy the majority of my life, that I will have loose skin, which will weigh in also. (I have no plans to have the skin removed, mainly for money reasons, I am raising my 9 year old and don't see me being able to afford it at any time) He told me to keep checking in with him, that 110 pounds might actually be too thin to be healthy. I'm not sure if this applies to you, but thought I'd mention it in case

Last edited by RedKat; 02-02-2009 at 02:26 PM.
RedKat is offline   Reply With Quote