Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-25-2009, 05:35 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 199.8/181.6/145

Height: 5'3"

Question Does anyone use Whey Protein Powder??

In tracking my food intake on FitDay, I noticed that my Protein intake was low... I need nearly double what I was eating, so I decided to start taking Whey protein powder for my breakfast which adds 53 grams of protein. That is nearly all that I need so I can pretty much eat vegetarian for the balance of my diet with a bit of turkey and fish and chicken tossed in the mix. I just don't want to lose any muscle mass. The heart is a muscle and I sure don't need to lose any more there.. 1/3 of a loss is too much as it is...

It was suggested I add Tofu but I just cannot stand the feel of that stuff in my mouth.. Major ICK !!

Anyone else??
Cee8ee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 05:38 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

I use it when I make smoothies, usually after a weightlifting workout.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 06:48 PM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I follow a vegan diet and I get around 100g protein/day which is right where I want to be. Very rarely, I'll use hemp protein powder. Personally though I like to increase my protein through whole foods.

I eat lots of beans, occassional homemade seitan, veggies, some fruit, whole grains, etc.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 07:17 PM   #4  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

I use soy protein powder in shakes and sometimes oatmeal to increase my intake during the day. On top of that I eat lots of lean, organically raised animal protein.
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 07:34 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 345/282/200

Height: 5'8"

I used to eat whey protein until I learned that you only need about 50 grams of protein a day (a can of tuna) unless you are bodybuilding seriously so I stopped and can easily get the protein I need from food.

I used to like the taste of the vanilla protein because it would make a nice thich shake!
flatiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 08:51 PM   #6  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

I always have a protein powder drink after a weight lifting session. Also, because mine is pure protein with only 1 g of carbs per serving, I use the powder to flavour my oatmeal in the morning. That way, it offsets the carbs in the oatmeal and I don't have to use sugar or artificial sweetener. Just oatmeal, protein powder & cinnamon and I am all set.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 05:48 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Yes. I've never been a breakfast eater but now know that I should eat something. A shake is so easy.

I'm one of those people who could eat carbs all day and still feel hungry. Added protein keeps me satisfied longer.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 06:08 AM   #8  
EACH DAY A NEW BEGINNING!

S/C/G: 172/ticker/140

I used to use whey protien, but found it shot my cholestrol through the roof, so switched to soy protien powder, it helps instead of hurts my counts
tryingitagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 08:38 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 199.8/181.6/145

Thank you for your input. I am going to get my monthly bloodwork done in about a week.. so will have them check my cholesterol. I do know that I lose weight faster, and my legs no longer feel like they are made of lead. What a difference Protein has made in my energy level too. I will look into the Soy protein powder in lieu of the whey.. it might be a better alternative..

Thank you all so much.

CAT
Cee8ee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 11:24 AM   #10  
Changing behaviours

Height: 5'7"

I use vanilla whey protein in fruit smoothies, and a scoop of chocolate in plain yogurt - makes it like chocolate pudding, and packs a huge protein punch.
Fressca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 11:28 AM   #11  
Formerly know as Fauxtini

S/C/G: 369.2/ticker/235

Height: 6'1

i use protien powder alot! whey and hemp especially.i have a small shake in the mornings with my breakfast... or i put it in my yogurt.
Not only does it keep me full.. but itgives me engery for better workouts and my hair and nails are all shiney and growing like crazy!
mountain mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 12:11 PM   #12  

S/C/G: S 225 / C 192 / G 140

Height: 5'8"

I also have a whey protein chocolate shake with breakfast...it does help me stay full until lunch while getting extra protein. I'm not sure I'm seeing a major difference except that I'm feeling a little more energetic.
healthierme78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 12:19 PM   #13  
FB

I was off them for awhile, back to them again now. I do one in the middle or immediately after a long weights workout. Transporting them is quite convenient!

I use a different one for meal replacement, as the nutrients differ a little. It's not often I use that because I love to eat, love chewing, LOL.
FB is offline   Reply With Quote