Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-13-2009, 01:07 PM   #1  
Changing behaviours

Height: 5'7"

Default What kind of scale do you prefer?

I've had the same ole weigh scale for about 10 years now - maybe 12 - and it's time for a change. I've been putting it off somewhat because I'm pretty sure the one I have weighs under by 3-4 lbs and I like that!

Anyway it's looking pretty decrepit, and I'm wondering what's everyone's choice - digital or the other kind (don't know what to call it) with the needle?
Fressca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 02:11 PM   #2  

Height: 5'3"

I used to use the kind that was digital and gave me more exact numbers (ex: 200.984 vs. 200) and I really liked it. The only reason I stopped using it is I weigh myself on the wii fit now.
beautybooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 02:27 PM   #3  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I love my Tanita digital scale.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 02:27 PM   #4  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

I love my Tanita digital scale. It's a little pricey, but worth every penny.
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 02:29 PM   #5  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Thistoo, so funny, we posted at the same time and wrote (& thought) the same exact thing.

I was also going to write that it was a bit pricey and worth every penny, but decided to leave it out. Funny
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 02:31 PM   #6  
Caroline

Hee! You beat me by being more succinct It's so true, though; I love that scale.
Old 01-13-2009, 03:39 PM   #7  
=D

Digital scale.
mazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 03:53 PM   #8  

Height: 5'9"

I like my WW Digital scale.
Digital all the way!
luvja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 04:24 PM   #9  
Yes We Can ~Obama

For years I've used a regular dial type scale. Recently I bought a digital. The digital says I weigh five pounds more than the dial scale says. The digital recently said I gained two lbs whereas my dial said I lost one. I don't know what to beleive any more and am thinking of ditching them both.

Last edited by InnerChild; 01-13-2009 at 04:24 PM.
InnerChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 06:23 PM   #10  
Changing behaviours

Height: 5'7"

Thistoo and Rockinrobin, what makes the Tanita so great? And how expensive is it?

Luvja, WW digital scale as in Weight Watchers?

InnerChild, ha ha, I can relate. I'm just positive that a digital is going to tell me I weigh more, maybe because the scales at my WW meeting are digital and I'm always 5 lbs heavier there than at home.
Fressca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 06:35 PM   #11  
Yes We Can ~Obama

Ahhhh, my digital matches my doctors office scale so is likely correct then isn't it? UGH! I hate scales, I hate scales, I hate scales!!!!!
InnerChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 07:42 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 214/Ticker/130

Height: 5' 5.5", age 59

I broke down and bought a digital scale yesterday (cheapy $20) and it doesn't seem to work. I press the corner and it blinks and zeroes out and then I put weight on it and it does nothing at all (just blackness), or the E comes up. I haven't wanted to stand on it yet, because I'm not due to weigh in for four more days. It is supposed to weigh accurately from .2 lbs to 300 lbs, and I've put heavy jugs of water on it and zilch. Anyone else had trouble with a digital scale? Is it something I'm doing wrong? Have you ever tried weighing anything besides yourself on it?

The last time I looked at buying a digital scale I talked myself out of it, because in the store I put some weights on them (from the workout section) and each one I tested showed a couple of lbs more than the weights I put on them. I figured if it was off a couple of lbs for 25lbs of weights, it might be off even more for my weight. I didn't need that kind of discouragement.

I can barely read my dial scale any more, so I figured I'd live with the numbers, even if they aren't accurate, as long as they still reflect me losing. So, have any of you tested your digital scales to see if they actually weigh true?
recidivist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 07:49 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 255/see tracker/180

Height: 5 ft 7 in

I have the dial kind, it was really cheap, $9.00. Seems to work fine, only problem is it's difficult to read.
jademarlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 07:53 PM   #14  
mmm nutella

S/C/G: 177/see ticker/135

Height: 5' 5 1/2"

I hated that if I leaned ever so slightly to one side on a dial scale(or at least MY dial scale) it said I weighed more or less, so now I use the digital scale my parents have in their room, even though it initially said I weighed more than my dial scale. My dial scale was like 10-15 dollars so I trust the fancy glass digital one anyway.
hotnewspirits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 08:17 PM   #15  
Caroline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fressca View Post
Thistoo and Rockinrobin, what makes the Tanita so great? And how expensive is it?
In a word: accuracy. It is amazingly reliable every single time. I think I paid about $80 for the Jenny Craig model with programmable features for up to four people so you can track your weight loss, but I stopped using those features pretty quickly. All I care about is that it keeps track of my weight incredibly accurately, and that's after moving it to three different houses.

There are models that are quite a bit cheaper than that on Amazon, but it's a great brand.