Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-31-2008, 04:40 AM   #1  
Fighting to be Fit

Height: 5'3.5" Age: 22

Wink Percent of Daily Value?

I think I might be growing notorious for asking 1) too many question, & 2) some rather obvious ones.
SO, please forgive me for once again coming to you lovely ladies (& guys) for advice.

Well I track my calories through theDailyPlate, just for reference; It shows both "calorie breakdown" & a % of daily values to what you're eating.
I recently posted asking about the carbs/protein/fat portion, & now that I've got all that sorted out, I'd like to ask you about daily values.

I've noticed that I often go over the recommended % of my daily value. For instance, I'm usually 25-50% over my protein levels, & sometimes I go a little over sodium (ie: today, because I had homemade teriyaki sauce w/chicken). Would you say it's unhealthy to go over your recommended % of daily values, or is there no need to worry there?

Thanks again for putting up with me,
Kimmy

Last edited by UrthWurm; 12-31-2008 at 04:41 AM.
UrthWurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 04:57 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 300/ticker/ONEDERLAND!

Height: 5'9

I keep going over my sodium, as well. I just can't seem to get it down to a number that I'm happy with. I even bought unsalted pretzels ~_~.

It is unhealthy to get too much of one nutrient, but it is hard to get it right some days.
heather88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 06:46 AM   #3  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hello!

"Daily Value" is a term the FDA introduced in 1994. The DV is not intended to tell you how much you should eat every day, according the the FDA fact sheet on this, but rather as a reference point for how much of a nutrient you're getting. A DV is calculated from the Daily Reference Value (DRV) and the Reference Daily Intake (RDI). If this is beginning to sound like mumbo-jumbo... you're right.

The main point is that the DV is not a target you need to try to hit every day.

Here's the link to the FDA information sheet:

http://www.fda.gov/fdac/special/foodlabel/dvs.html

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 11:43 AM   #4  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Yes, I wouldn't worry about it...particularly the DV for protein. I find a little extra protein really makes me feel better and more energetic.

As for sodium, well, for some lots of sodium can cause water retention, and for others with more serious health problems, it can be a real issue with blood pressure. For most healthy people, though, going a bit over in sodium is not too big a deal.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 11:53 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 182/132/135

Height: 5'7"

Ditto on Mandalinn's post. For most people, a little extra sodium is going to do you no harm. I sort of pay attention to mine because if I get VAST extra quantities of it, I do retain water, but over by a bit is not important in my situation...if anything my blood pressure is TOO low, not the opposite. As for extra protein, that is just fine, mostly good actually, as it makes me feel full, gives me more energy...basically helps me feel evenly "good" all day long. It is also important to remember that when you are working out, your body needs more protein to repair your muscles as you work them and to help you build additional lean muscle mass.

Last edited by Schumeany; 12-31-2008 at 11:54 AM.
Schumeany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 12:07 PM   #6  
Registered Nut

S/C/G: 325/325/150

Height: 5'6"

those with congestive heart failure, diabetes & high blood pressure do need to strictly monitor their sodium.
RN BSN 2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 04:30 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

What Manda and Schumeany said. I don't really pay much attention to the percentages, especially since I'm aiming for such a high amount of protein - usually I'm at 200% or more of the DV.

I do watch my sodium, but I'm one of those people who is very sensitive to sodium. A little extra salt and I retain water like crazy.

Mostly I think if you watch your macros and eat as clean as you can, the DVs really don't matter that much.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote