Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-27-2008, 05:03 PM   #1  
:)

S/C/G: 165/163/145

Height: 5'7

Default Is This Good?

Hmm couldnt think of a better title!

So, i want to lose about 15lb-20lb over time, i dont expect it to drop off at the click of my fingers. This is my "diet" (more of a lifestyle change really)

I eat between 1500 and 2000 calories a day.
I eat healthy, cant eat chocolate unless my blood sugar is low due to being an insulin dependant diabetic so no need to worry about eating too much choccy! I snack on fruit,veg and one or two crackers occasionally i will have a packet of crisp but not every day. Always eat breakfast, brownbread toast with low fat spread on or weetabix is usually what ill have and i always have a weight watchers meal for tea. Drink water or sugar free cordial or sometimes i will have a glass of sugar free cherry ade.

I go to the gym atleast 3 times a week but do aim for 4 or 5 times. I do half an hour on the cross trainer and 20 mins on the stationary bike, and some weights. Occasionally i do other things like the treadmill and rowing machine just to mix it up a bit. I have also started walking more.

Now, after that essay! My question is, do you think i will lose a fair amount of weight? I started this life style change around the 18th of this month and so far have lost only 1 maybe 2 pounds, is this an ok start?

Sorry if i rambled on!
Showjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 07:49 PM   #2  
Anne

S/C/G: 407/358-Dec2007/tracker/125

Height: 5'4"

I think the answer is really up to you. You've lost a pound or two in 10 days, that's a pretty reasonable loss. If you've found a way of eating that you can maintain, as well as being more active, I suspect that the weight will continue to come off. If you find that eventually you stop losing (it happens some times) then you might need to tighten up on your food. Then again, you might not if you don't mind a slower loss.

No matter, it's a great start. Have fun with it.
RealCdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 09:15 PM   #3  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

SHowjumper, this does sound good, a pound a week is just fine really. I hope you have checked this out with your doctor. What fats, especially healthy fats are you having. Although your carbs are mostly complex carbs, I'm not seeing a lot of protein there, or some healthy fats. (olive oil, fish oil, etc)
Glad you are not trying to lose too fast, you will have to watch your sugars, the weight loss and extra exercise will reduce your insulin needs, so if you are using a lente insulin you will have to watch for lows.
Best wishes
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 09:39 PM   #4  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

My calories are lower than yours to keep a loss going. By all means though, if you have found something that works for you, keep doing it. It's what I am doing. Whole foods, 100 oz. of water daily and doubling my fiber. I don't rule out anything completely. If I want something I do so in careful moderation.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 11:10 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 182/132/135

Height: 5'7"

Since we didn't see a complete day's average menu...this is my advice from what I saw...

Your calories look pretty good. We are the same height, and to lose my weight, I ate between 1400 to 1600 a day, with moderate exercise, and I averaged about 2 pounds of loss a week...until the last eight pounds or so. Those I lost at about 1 to 1.5 a week. Since you have less to lose than I did, you may find that 1 to 1.5 is about as fast as it comes off for you -- which is a pretty good pace since you are already very close to "normal" weight for someone our height. The general rule of thumb is to aim for around 1% of body weight a week.

While I don't know how much protein you are getting, I will just say that you should try to get protein with every meal -- even snacks. It will make you feel full longer, and it will help you maintain your lean muscle mass which, in turn, keeps up your metabolism and helps take the weight off more easily.

Make sure you get some healthy fats as well...like olive oil, avocados, nuts, etc.

Oh, and I am a strong advocate for strength training -- so it is good you are doing that. It builds and maintains lean muscle mass...and you will look slimmer and "longer and leaner", etc. when you get to goal.

Last edited by Schumeany; 11-27-2008 at 11:12 PM.
Schumeany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 11:28 PM   #6  
Let's Get Going!!!

Default 5'2" and about 148

I want to be 125 or so. How many calories should I consume AND are there any daily menus on this site to peek at?

thanks so much!
dmc2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 03:46 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 182/132/135

Height: 5'7"

dmc - Well, I don't know how old you are, but that doesn't make a HUGE difference. So, I took a quick look at a calorie calculator, and if you exercise 5 days a week, you should be eating a little over 1500 calories a day for a 1 pound a week loss, and 1200 or so a day for a 2 pound a week loss. Make sure that you don't go under the 1200, because that is a baseline for how much all of our bodies need for basic nutritional needs -- and if you do go as low as 1200, MAKE sure those calories really count nutrition-wise. Lots of good protein, good fats, complex carbohydrates, fruit and veggies -- and likely you will want to take a supplement as well.

I don't know if there are any sample diets on here, but lots of people list their daily diets. I will try to list a good solid 1400 - 1500 calorie a day diet based on one of my own...

Breakfast: Low-fat yogurt mixed with a 1/3 cup All Bran and 1/2 an apple. 300 calories

Snack: Cheese stick (50 calorie kind) and other half of apple 100 calories

Lunch: Big Grilled Chicken Salad -- Lots of veggies, including carrots, bell peppers, spinach, Romaine, celery, cucumbers, kidney beans and dressing made of 1/2 Tablespoon olive oil and basalmic vinegar -- also 3 ounces of chicken, a handful of Mozza Cheese 375 calories

Snack: Protein Bar (I like Balance Bars or Zone Perfect) 200 calories

Dinner: Thin cut pork chop broiled OR a piece of salmon OR grilled skinless chicken breast (3 ounces), 1/2 cup brown rice and steamed green beans
(300 calories)

Snack: 1/2 cup Optimum Power Cereal (High Protein) and a banana 180 calories

Total: 1455 calories

Last edited by Schumeany; 11-29-2008 at 03:49 PM.
Schumeany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 04:49 PM   #8  
Let's Get Going!!!

Oh my gosh...
I did work out today at the gym and I thought it would make a big difference.

Wow, losing weight is so DDDD hard!

Thank you for the menu daily sample.

Here is today...

Banana 172
Fratatta 400 (guess)
Cream (50)

Turkey salad 300 with 2 tb light dressing, romain, tomato, cucumber

So far I have 578 left for dinner and I am already hungry!!!!

Help me with snacks if you can, no cal, or light. Yikes, this is gonna be hard, but its doable!!!
Old 11-29-2008, 05:00 PM   #9  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

Hey showjumper & dmc2009 -

Come on over to Calorie Counters - tons of tips about calorie counting, including advice on how many calories you might want to start with.

Accountability threads are handy for checking out what others are eating - as well as Fitday links in signatures and/or profiles.
chick_in_the_hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 06:35 PM   #10  
Let's Get Going!!!

Awesome, I will be right over!
Thanks,