Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-08-2008, 10:37 AM   #16  
Being lazy is easier!

S/C/G: 224/216/170

Height: 5' 7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hat Trick View Post

Lucky Charms? Egads I love them. But seriously . . . Lucky Charms? Switch them out for a healthier cereal. Total, Shredded Wheat, Cherrios, etc. Add (or drink) 8 oz. of milk (low or reduced-fat. I find 2% sticks w/me longer so I use this even though the cals are more.) OJ is ok but maybe 8 oz instead of 16 oz? Maybe try oatmeal (don't know if that w/be a textural issue for you or not).

Try changing out the flour tortilla for a multi-grain one. LaTortilla Factory makes a great multi-grain, low carb one. Its BIG, has about 100 cals, 8 grams protein, 12 grams fiber. Also, switch out your lunches. Tuna w/low fat mayo on whole wheat or turkey and cheese on multigrain bread, etc. Maybe you could try sneaking in a piece of lettuce or tomato on the sandwich or wrap and it may not bother you as much?

Could you eat a baked spud w/some light sour cream and chives (or sprinkle on onion powder)? Better than tater wedges. Only eating the bottom half of the roll w/the burger (again, I'd make it whole wheat/grain to get the extra fiber) and nixing the bacon will give you a 100 cal deficit right there. Little changes can make a big difference.

Um, these snacks read as empty cals to me, no offense! Where's the protein? Cheesesticks, turkey, tuna, cottage cheese, nuts, etc. Add a good portion of protein for your snacks and ONE serving of goldfish or baked chips. The jellybeans? May have to shelf them for awhile.

Even if fruits and veggies are a no-go, you can bump up the nutrition on what you are eating. Eat protein with every meal/snack and your blood sugar will stay even and you will avoid that 'dip' that eating just carbs can cause. I find it takes constant tweaking (on food and exercise) to keep ahead of things and to keep the scale moving down. Good luck!
Um, a question to you--why would you think that a tater wedge is worse than a baked potato with lite sour cream? My wedges are made with 2tb olive oil for 4 potatoes, salt and pepper an then roasted (baked) until fab. I would think that the benefits of olive oil are better for me fat-wise i the long run, rather than sour cream (not that I don't love me a sour cream--yes, I use lite--and chive baked tater!)

In defense of Lucky Charms--I spent time in the cereal aisle last week and found that LC was nutritionally equal to many of the cereals you mentioned. I like sweet, I can't deny that. Total or Shredded Wheat to me is tasteless and I want to always enjoy the food I put in my mouth--not feel punished or deprived of flavor. One thing I do usually do (I just haven't lately) is actually to 'dilute' my LC with regular cheerios. I still feel like I'm getting a 'treat', but it's not as bad for me. As for oatmeal, I don't so much have a problem with it as it's just not something I enjoy as much as a good bowl of cereal. When the weather changes (yes, even in FL it gets cold), I like to have it. But summer in FL eating oatmeal is terrible!

I will look for the tortillas you mentioned. Again, I'm not a fan of multi-grain bread. Do you have a favorite that you like? Preferrably one that does't look or feel like it was dragged through the grain mill on the way to the oven? I love tuna sammiches. I never think of eating them at lunch, though. I dunno why!

Okay, to dinner, where apparently I made everyone think I'm a huge pig! BC Burgers are treats in the house--we only have them with fries every 5-6 weeks. I try to try a new recipe every week. The new recipe has to be under 4-500 caloires for me to consider it. Yesterday we had a tasty asian-inspired broiled (boneless loin) pork chop on rice (yes, the rice was white. Yes, I know brown rice is probably a better choise--I'M TRYING! )

Lastly, snacks. Yes, there is a lot there. No, I don't eat all of that every day. Yesterday I had a serving of Baked Lays with my lunch and 5 jelly beans. I love peanuts, but I also have bad teeth and soemtimes me and nuts don't get along. And I never think of getting a piece or 2 of lunchmeat as a snack. Cheesesticks are awesome. I bring them sometimes. I currently don't have any in the work fridge, that is why I didn't mention them. What about sherbet or sorbet? I love some ice cream and I find that I can be quite satisfied with a serving of orange or rainbow sherbet (100 cal).

Thank you HatTrick for the great help and advice!

Quote:
Nelie
Ummm... well...

For breakfast, I'd nix the Lucky charms and look for something like oatmeal instead. also, 16 oz of juice is a lot. If you won't give up your juice, could you cut it in half and also maybe mix it with a little water?

For lunch, how about adding some veggies, cutting out the cheese and the dressing and putting something like mustard instead?

For dinner, again, I'd add some veggies and although potatoes are good... they shouldn't be the only veggie you eat. And I don't mean replacing them for a fried veggie

You are eating a lot of junk for your snacks. How about fruit or veggies instead? They are a bit more filling.

Honestly, you don't have to change everything at once but I'd work on modifying your diet to make it a bit healthier. Also, just because your family doesn't care about weight loss, doesn't mean you can't help them make healthier decisions.
As mentioned in a previous post, right now, veg/fruits gross me out. I'm working on it (more info to come in this post). I'll try to cut down on the juice or for a while do 8oz of OJ and 8oz of V-Fusion. Cheese I count as one of my dairy servings and since I have osteopenia (thanks Depo!), I need all I can get! Regarding my snacks, if I COULD eat carrot sticks and hummus I certainly would, but I can't right now. I need to work on this I know!

Quote:
Greeneggsandtam
Hey Amykay!
It's good that you are open minded about what you might try. I would agree with the others that fruits and veggies are the ticket that will work, but aside from that you could get rid of your snack drawer all together. Or empty it just to see if you can make it through a day. Maybe you could try other juices?

Ooooh!! I just thought of something!!
How about smoothies??
This way you're getting calcium and tonnes of other nutrients.
Start with one and build onto what you would put into it.
Don't be fooled by smoothies you can get at like some fast food place either.
Yes, F/V are high on my list of Things to Tackle. I've tackled Getting off my a$$ and Going to the Gym. Now I have to tackle Eating Veggies. I thought about it yesterday while reading in the Veggie Challenged forum that I am going to buy an apple and some of that caramel dip. !!!No Need to be Alarmed!!! I am only getting the dip to lube the way, so to speak. If I can eat it covered in caramel, I can eventually eat it plain! I'll take the caloric hit and just skimp somewhere else...
No, at this point I don't think I have the willpower to chuck the snack drawer. At our office there are always some sort of baked good that the gals bring in (cupcakes, brownies, etc) and a huge bowl of candy is currently on MY desk (I'm the secretary) for Halloween. If I didn't have my 'better' options, I would be eating tootsie rolls and candy corn til it was all gone! I see my drawer as a safety net--I know it's there, so I don't need anything. If I had no snacks, I would be prowling the halls or going to the gas station down the road.
Regarding smoothies--I would love to have them, but it's a texture thing. If I pureed the strawberries/bananas first ans strained them to get rid of seeds and such, would that be okay? Or would I be straining out fiber and other good stuff too? I made one a few months ago with SB/nanas/oj and strawberry yogurt and the texture grossed me out. The taste was 'ok' but it would be something that I would have to chug to get through, at least to start with. Any recommendations on a creamy, no-texture smoothie would be greatly appreciated. I don't know if I'm ready for carrots, though... And NO, fast food smooties are evil. I used to be a manager of TCBY and it amazed me that people got these every day and thought they were doing GOOD!

Quote:
One other thing...what is it about fruits/veggies that makes you gag? Could you, for example, eat apple sauce? You can make very healthy, homemade apple sauce with very little effort. Can you eat desserts that include fruits (like strawberry cheesecake or cherry pie)? Which fruits/veggies in particular are give you the biggest issues?
It's really texture and taste and smell. It's the whole package. Plus, it's the fact that when I was growing up, I was whupped with a belt if I didn't eat AND served the nasty cold veggies for breakfast the next day. (Nothing says I Love You like a belt buckle to the thigh...) I honestly TRY every few months (last time, it was smoothies, which I had *some* success with) but the gagging is hard to overcome. Something a ssimple as romaine lettuce, when I tried that--I put it in my mouth, I chewed it begrudgingly, but when I tried to swallow it I couldnt' do it. I had to spit it out. Corn, peas, beans, grapes--the thought of these gross me out because of the idea of them bursting in my mouth. (Im making the EWWW! face right now just thiking about it!). I am hoping that I can get through half an apple this weekend because I like crispy/crunchy and I like apple juice (and I LOVE caramel... )
So for now, I guess I will try to add much more protein to my diet (nuts, cheese, lunchmeat) for snacks (instead of chips or jelly beans), wean down my lunches with multi-grain breads and meats, and try to keep all of this under 1800 calories.

Here's hoping I don't puke up an apple this weekend--it would be a waste of good caramel...
amykay9377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 10:51 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Well everything else in your post aside ... I just wanted to comment on this:
Quote:
I spent time in the cereal aisle last week and found that LC was nutritionally equal to many of the cereals you mentioned.
The box ingredients are:
Ingredients: oat flour, marshmallow bits (sugar, modified corn starch, corn syrup, dextrose, gelatin, calcium carbonate, yellow 5&6, blue I, red 40, artificial flavor), sugar, corn syrup, corn starch, salt, calcium carbonate, color added, trisodium phosphate, zinc and iron (mineral nutrients), vitamin C (sodium ascorbate), a B vitamin (niacinamide), artificial flavor, vitamin B6 (pyridoxine hydrochloride), vitamin B2 (riboflavin), vitamin B1 (tiamin mononitrate), vitamin A (palmitate), a B vitamin (folic acid), vitamin B12, vitamin D, wheat starch, vitamin E (mixed topopherols) added to preserve freshness

Out of the top 13 ingredients, 7 of them are sugar, corn syrup, or corn starch.

That, right there, makes them significantly different from any of the other cereals mentioned. Corn syrups and processed corn products especially are linked with obesity, diabetes, and other health issues. Even plan processed sugar is better for you ("better" being subjective) than eating any kind of corn syrup.

I get having a sweet tooth, but there are healthier ways to indulge that sweet tooth in the morning than eating a cereal that is over 1/2 sugar.

What about a 1/2 a peanut butter sandwich with honey or fruit jam? What about a cereal w/out processed sugar and adding your own honey or cane sugar to make it sweet? Slicing fruit into it and adding sweetener?

You can get the same level of sweetness and flavor with FAR more nutritional value than what you get out of the LC.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 10:56 AM   #18  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

One thing I'd say about sugar is that it can definitely cause you to have cravings and want to eat more than you need to. I would agree with looking for a cereal that isn't a sugary kids cereal and then adding things that are naturally sweet like berries.

If you have a Trader Joe's, I'd highly look at some of their cold cereals. They have a Fiber One type cereal and they had one I saw yesterday that looked pretty good "Twigs, clusters and flakes" or something like that. Ok maybe I'm weird that I'd drool over something called 'twigs, clusters and flakes'.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 11:07 AM   #19  

Quote:
Ok maybe I'm weird that I'd drool over something called 'twigs, clusters and flakes'.
*giggle*
I guess I'm the same kind of weird. I'd actually buy it just for the name.

Old 10-08-2008, 11:26 AM   #20  
Keepin' on...

S/C/G: 350/208/150

AmyKay,

You do have some issues that make this hard, huh? That's okay, you'll get there, girl!!!

I would like to congratulate you on all the huge strides you have made so far!!! Many, many people just go with the flow and stay overweight and don't put the effort in that you are already doing! So you deserve BIG kudos!!!!!

You already know that you have to make some changes to your diet, and I think adding cheerios to your lucky charms, cutting back on juice portions, keeping emergency snacks handy, etc, are really steps in the right direction!!!!

In the meantime, while you work on your aversions and play around more and more with some healthier substitutions, I think you should make 2 changes right away:

1) Balance out your simple carb snacks with some type of PROTIEN within the same snack. It is SO important for keeping your blood sugar from spiking throughout the day, thereby triggering the craving for MORE simple carbs. Just tell yourself no baked lays/pretzels/jellybeans unless I eat a light string cheese with it. (plus it's more food!! and will keep you feeling a bit fuller).

2) Throw in some strength training into your workout. I agree that with your schedule, you should concentrate on the cardio at the gym for now to make sure you're getting that, but go to the store and get some hand weights, resistance bands, and one of those big balls that actually make squats and crunches fun!!! The more muscle you build, the stronger your metabolism will be. Do it during your kids' homework or right after work. I think it will really help matters!!!

Keep up the GOOD work and keep trying. IMHO, you are doing GREAT so far!!!!!
shannonmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 11:45 AM   #21  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey amykay!

So, your original post that began the thread had to do with your "sad, slow little weight loss," and folks on 3FC are trying to give you some suggestions. Most of us have been where you are, in one way or another! So folks want to give you the benefit of experience.

Let's just forget for a moment whether it's Lucky Charms or Fiber One, sherbet or fat free sugar free popsicles. I think FitDay has done you a disservice by telling you you burn so many calories in a day--what was it, 2400+? So, if I were in your position, I'd start by figuring out what I can eat for 1800 calories a day, just as a starting point.

As you add things up in FitDay, you'll begin to see which foods are a good bet and which aren't. Many 3FC members have done this--it's a learning experience! And if you can fit in your favorite foods and lose, then all is well. If you find you are not losing, then something has to be adjusted. What adjustments to make--well, you get to decide.

Good luck!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 05:07 PM   #22  
No surrender, no retreat

S/C/G: 170/148! :D /134

Height: Vertically comfy 5'2"; horizontally challenged

Quote:
Originally Posted by amykay9377 View Post
Um, a question to you--why would you think that a tater wedge is worse than a baked potato with lite sour cream?
Because I assumed they were the 'frozen-out-of-a-bag' kind! My bad; didn't realize you made them yourself. In that case, either one (homemade taters wedges or baked spud) sound like a good deal to me.!

Quote:
In defense of Lucky Charms--I spent time in the cereal aisle last week and found that [B]LC was nutritionally equal to many of the cereals you mentioned. I like sweet, I can't deny that. Total or Shredded Wheat to me is tasteless and I want to always enjoy the food I put in my mouth--not feel punished or deprived of flavor[B].
I'm w/PC on the cereal nurtrition. As for Shredded Wheat -- I add a tspn of sugar to mine. Lots less than what w/be in LCs but I still get my cereal sweet.

Quote:
One thing I do usually do (I just haven't lately) is actually to 'dilute' my LC with regular cheerios.
This is a great idea!

Quote:
I will look for the tortillas you mentioned. Again, I'm not a fan of multi-grain bread. Do you have a favorite that you like? Preferrably one that does't look or feel like it was dragged through the grain mill on the way to the oven? I love tuna sammiches. I never think of eating them at lunch, though. I dunno why!
I like 'LaTortilla Factory' brand. I shop at Giant stores; don't know if these tortilla wraps are national though. And they DO NOT have that 'grainy', dry, blech texture. They are quite, quite tasty.

Quote:
Lastly, snacks. Yes, there is a lot there. No, I don't eat all of that every day.
Oh, I didn't assume you ate all those snacks everyday. I assumed they were in your 'snack drawer' and they were your choices.

Quote:
What about sherbet or sorbet? I love some ice cream and I find that I can be quite satisfied with a serving of orange or rainbow sherbet (100 cal).
I think these are great. How about fudgsicles too? They're about 100 cals and are cold and chocolately and tasty! I like Minute Maid soft-frozen lemonade pops. 70 cals. They come in lemonade/lemonade-raspberry and cherry-lime/watermelon flavors. They are not very big though. But they are good.
Hat Trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 07:49 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 202/160/135

Height: 5 ft 6 in

I'm very particular about what I eat in the morning too -- I can't force most things down my throat. Oatmeal? No way.

However, I'm surprised you aren't ravenous after like, an hour after that breakfast. Not only is there sugar in the cereal, but keep in mind there is sugar in the milk and juice too.

Like I said, I am very particular about what I eat in the morning. Have you tried the cereal by "Nature's Path". It is granola, and very good with some no-fat yogurt in it (instead of milk). It keeps me full for a while.

~choirgirlhotel~
choirgirlhotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 02:44 PM   #24  
Being lazy is easier!

S/C/G: 224/216/170

Height: 5' 7"

Default Baby steps to a smaller butt........

Quote:
Originally Posted by choirgirlhotel View Post
I'm very particular about what I eat in the morning too -- I can't force most things down my throat. Oatmeal? No way.

However, I'm surprised you aren't ravenous after like, an hour after that breakfast. Not only is there sugar in the cereal, but keep in mind there is sugar in the milk and juice too.

~choirgirlhotel~
I like oatmeal. I'm just waiting for the cooler weather.

I find that if I drink my OJ, take hubby to work and daughter to school, then hit the gym with 24oz of water and eat around 9:30, I am okay until lunch time (which is noon, since my 'lunch hour' is spent at the gym--with 24oz more of water!).

But, I came here to brag, kind of. Maybe more of a way of getting it out there...

I ATE YOGURT TODAY!

Yogurt has been a problem for me because of the too-sweet and too-tangy flavor. I've tried a few different brands, from Publix store brand to Fruit on the Bottom, and they all have been funky. The texture is sort of off-putting because my mind wants it to be like pudding, but it has a slimy feeling on my tongue. Anyway, this is why I never ate yogurt.
Well, last week my PUblix had Yoplait Whips on sale, so I bought 2 of those. Today, I brought the Lemon Meringue with me to work. I had it for breakfast. I ate 3/4 of the container (I think 3 oz).
HOWEVER--after a bite or 2, the texture of it was getting to me. It was like a spoonful of slimy bubbles. I contemplated giving up and throwing it away, but I happened to have some Crystal LIght lemonade with me in my cup, so I would put a spoonful of yogurt in my mouth, sip some lemonade and swallow the whole shebang. It wasn't that bad! I could do that again! I will do that again! I have a Key Lime flavor at home still.

Also--Here is what I bought yesterday at the grocery store: Flatout Italian Herb wraps (9g of fiber AND 9g of protein per wrap), an apple, Whitewheat bread, and string cheese. I checked out lots of breads on the bread aisle and I don't think I am ready to go full-on Drug-through-the-mill-whole grain bread. This should be a nice transition for me, hopefully.

HOpefully.
amykay9377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 02:51 PM   #25  

Good for you. It sounds like you're making some good progress.

Have you tried Greek yogurts? Fage is the most popular brand, I think, but there are others as well. They are more "solid" feeling - as they're strained yogurts. They're not quite as runny and "slimy" as regular processed yogurt. (I love yogurt, but I know the texture you're talking about and I can see that it's not for everyone.)

You can get the Fage yogurt plain and mix in a spoonful of honey or a spoonful of jelly (I've been mixing in apple butter or cherry butter lately) and that way YOU control the sweetness of it, which might help.

Just a thought for you.

Old 10-10-2008, 03:34 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

Wonderful, you discovered White Whole Wheat bread, I was going to suggest that!

I also agree with Photochick, Greek yogurt has a more sour cream texture then the slimy yogurt texture you are talking about.

You are doing great and I applaud you for trying so hard! I do want to suggest something, and please don't get defensive, but it sounds like you may need to go to counseling to fully get around the fruit and veggie thing. We all can benefit from counseling at points in our lives and from your posts it sounds like you are equating veggies with negativity from your childhood. I'm sorry if this is out of line, but it really may make it easier and going to counseling is not a bad thing. It's just being proactive!

I think the best way for many people to lose weight and get healthy is to do things in baby steps. You are already doing that! You are well on your way. You are going to the gym, drinking water, and trying to get veggies in. You ate yogurt, yay! You are doing great. As time goes on just keep working on improvements and you'll get there.

Also, have you seen those cookbooks out lately that sneak veggies into different types of food? Like pureed carrots in mac and cheese, pureed prunes in brownies, etc. Maybe picking up one of those books would be helpful? I think one is called Deceptively Delicious.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote